Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Does grace lead to gratitude?

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Does grace lead to gratitude?

Are you grateful? Should we be grateful in life?

If you did something yourself does it make sense to be grateful to someone else for it?
Last edited by Wootah on Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Menotu
Sage

Re: Does grace lead to gratitude?

Post #2

Post by Menotu »

Wootah wrote: 1) Does grace lead to gratitude?

2) Are you grateful? Should we be grateful in life?

3) If you did something yourself does it make sense to be grateful to some for it?
1) Sure it could. Or couldn't
2) Sometimes for some thing. We probably should be more grateful on certain things - nothing wrong with that. Nothing wrong with not being grateful either.
3) Don't understand the question... :study:

Wootah
Savant

Post #3

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to Menotu]

1) Can something other than grace lead to gratitude? I genuinely wonder.

2) Do you think being not grateful is good?

3) If I built a house would it make sense to be grateful to you (who didn't build the house) for the house?

Point 3 is about works vs grace ultimately.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Savant

Post #4

Post by 1213 »

Wootah wrote: Does grace lead to gratitude?

If you did something yourself does it make sense to be grateful to someone else for it?
I am grateful, for example because of the grace and all things God has given. Without God, I couldn’t do anything, so even if I could do something, it is because God made it possible and therefore I am thankful for God.

Menotu
Sage

Post #5

Post by Menotu »

[Replying to post 3 by Wootah]
1) Can something other than grace lead to gratitude? I genuinely wonder.

2) Do you think being not grateful is good?

3) If I built a house would it make sense to be grateful to you (who didn't build the house) for the house?

Point 3 is about works vs grace ultimately.
1) Happiness? Personal growth?
2) That's vague. I've learn life throws too many things at you to make a blanket YES or NO statement for many things. So maybe is a better answer....?
3) No but people do and believe a lot of things that don't make logical sense. Likewise, I've learn that feeling are not always logical.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by Purple Knight »

People don't seem to realise the degree of freedom from obstruction needed to "do it yourself". If you were mentally or physically handicapped, that's probably 80% of the ability to do things yourself ruled out right there.

People seem to assume that freedom from obstruction is a right, and they get upset when there is such an obstruction, just as they immediately forget about the possibility of obstruction the instant it's removed.

I don't think I take much for granted, but that doesn't mean I'm grateful to anyone for not crippling me, whether it be a god or not. A person could as easily cripple me, but it would be really weird to thank eight billion people for not breaking my legs.

Though perhaps we should do that very thing. Any punishment harsh enough to modify behaviour is disallowed on the basis of being cruel, so in general people can only gain by breaking laws. If some punishment would harm them, then we cannot do that punishment, therefore the criminal cannot be harmed by his criminal acts; he can only gain.

So why punish at all? You may disagree with me about why but it's not effective.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/one-ca ... mit-crimes

California pays troubled youth not to commit crimes. My only problem with it is that they seem to not care about the people who don't commit any crimes whether they're paid or not. In my mind, those sorts of people deserve payment just as much as those likely to kill or steal without the payment.

Thomas123
Sage

Post #7

Post by Thomas123 »

Apologies Wootah, I started a thread about gratitude but I did so without noticing that you had one running.

tam
Savant

Post #8

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
It does. I cannot speak for everyone of course. But grace does compel gratitude (and love). Just as forgiveness does.

As Christ said:

"Therefore I tell you, because her many sins have been forgiven, she has loved much. But he who has been forgiven little loves little.�

If you do not think you have anything to be forgiven for, or anything to be shown grace for, then neither of those things could be a reason in compelling gratitude or love.

I am.

Not because I am good or because I am better than anyone else. But because I know I have been forgiven much, and I am so grateful to my Father in heaven and to His Son, for the promises and gifts and the LIFE given me (not just me but also my household).

I don't see how. Not if you truly did it completely on your own. Not even if you just believe you did it completely on your own (whether you did it on your own or not).

Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy