Was Jesus obsessed?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

marco
Savant

Was Jesus obsessed?

Post #1

Post by marco »

Christ bequeathed no fantastic advancement to humankind. It would be hard to find in his religious outpourings anything of practical use. For a being allegedly incarnated into human flesh to have left nothing much more than "Be very good" and "Pray" seems a waste of a divine journey.

It would seem the man immersed himself in scripture to the point of obsession, finally emerging as a "prophet", spouting religious wisdom and many promises. So perhaps he wasn't a deceiver, as I considered elsewhere, but just a fanatic carried off with too much Abraham and Isaac and some Noah.

But because he was nice to the poor, the homeless, the sick and imprisoned he has a following. People want to be like him without changing water to whisky. But was the real man just a hard fanatic, full of his own importance?

Was Jesus driven by too much religious study, making him more of a living prayer than a human being?

brunumb
Savant

Re: Was Jesus obsessed?

Post #21

Post by brunumb »

[Replying to post 16 by 1213]
It depends on what is love. But, I don’t think it would be loving to allow evil to continue forever.
It is certainly not loving to let it continue at all if you have the power to end it. Jesus, the great procrastinator. No promised return either. He seems to have foreseen the virus pandemic and put himself into voluntary isolation.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Savant

Post #22

Post by 1213 »

brunumb wrote: ...It is certainly not loving to let it continue at all ....
I think it is loving to give a chance to all and I think it is loving that God allowed us to know what evil truly means, when people wanted to know evil.

brunumb
Savant

Post #23

Post by brunumb »

1213 wrote:
brunumb wrote: ...It is certainly not loving to let it continue at all ....
I think it is loving to give a chance to all and I think it is loving that God allowed us to know what evil truly means, when people wanted to know evil.
There is absolutely nothing loving about letting evil continue to cause misery and suffering. Nothing at all!!! To me it is one of the compelling reasons to believe that God does not exist, or at least a loving god does not exist.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.