Thomas123
Sage

Is human gratitude a prayer to a God?

Post #1

Post by Thomas123 »

Is human gratitude a prayer to a God?
Why should we be grateful for anything?
What is the purpose of gratitude?

I believe in ,and thank , the Creator God Yahweh, on a daily basis. The parable of the lepers suggest that this is regarded in the New Testament writings as being fundamental to Yahweh worship.
How does gratitude work for a non theist, or a person with different beliefs to mine.
Why should we be grateful, if at all?

Elijah John
Savant

Re: Is human gratitude a prayer to a God?

Post #2

Post by Elijah John »

Thomas Mc Donald wrote: Is human gratitude a prayer to a God?
Why should we be grateful for anything?
What is the purpose of gratitude?

I believe in ,and thank , the Creator God Yahweh, on a daily basis. The parable of the lepers suggest that this is regarded in the New Testament writings as being fundamental to Yahweh worship.
How does gratitude work for a non theist, or a person with different beliefs to mine.
That is an excellent point. Like, for example, who does an atheist thank for a beautiful day? The weather man? ;) One of the many blessings of Theistic belief is having someone to thank for both the little things (yes including the people in our lives) and for the things beyond human causation.

I have no doubt that some if not many atheists have a humble, unarticulated sense of gratitude in their lives. And from my Theistic perspective, I read that as an implicit and unstated prayer to the Creator and Sustainer of the Universe.
Last edited by Elijah John on Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Tcg
Savant

Post #3

Post by Tcg »

Elijah John wrote:
That is an excellent point. Like, for example, who does an atheist thank for a beautiful day?
This atheist doesn't thank anyone.

The weather man?
Why would one thank the weather man? All they do is report and/or predict the weather. Weather is the result of random forces. There is no one to thank when the odds swing in our favor and no one to curse when they swing the other way.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Elijah John
Savant

Post #4

Post by Elijah John »

Tcg wrote:
Elijah John wrote:
That is an excellent point. Like, for example, who does an atheist thank for a beautiful day?

The weather man?
Why would one thank the weather man? All they do is report and/or predict the weather. Weather is the result of random forces. There is no one to thank when the odds swing in our favor and no one to curse when they swing the other way.

Tcg
The "weather man" remark was somewhat of a joke. But in my experience, the atheists in my life have been gracious to other people. And sometimes without even realizing express a general sense of gratitude like at Thanksgiving, and at other times as well. Things like "we've been fortunate". or "lucky" vs. "we've been blessed".
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Tcg
Savant

Post #5

Post by Tcg »

Elijah John wrote:
Tcg wrote:
Elijah John wrote:

The weather man?

Tcg
The "weather man" remark was somewhat of a joke.
It sounded like derision of another's position to me. I don't consider that a joke.
But in my experience, the atheists in my life have been gracious to other people. And sometimes without even realizing express a general sense of gratitude like at Thanksgiving, and at other times as well. Things like "we've been fortunate". or "lucky" vs. "we've been blessed".
Being fortunate and/or lucky are the results of random odds swinging in one's favor. There is still nobody to thank for these random occurrences.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Thomas123
Sage

Post #6

Post by Thomas123 »

Tcg:Being fortunate and/or lucky are the results of random odds swinging in one's favor. There is still nobody to thank for these random occurrences.

On this short thread ,you have mentioned these odds twice. How do they work?
Do you imagine you 'are playing the house', or dodging bullets, or what.What is your idea here. Do you believe in 'a numbers' world?
Personally, I feel thankful for a beautiful day but ,very often after thanks, I waste the opportunity of that day. I want to understand what you are saying, which is different to my own outlook.

marco
Savant

Post #7

Post by marco »

Thomas Mc Donald wrote:

I arrive five minutes after a major road accident. If I am grateful that I wasn't involved, what should be the feeling of those who were hurt? Did God favour Marco?

I am happy to feel the sun's warmth, yet that same sun is causing terrestrial problems. As a boy I ran happily to feel the force of the waves against my chest and fell in love with the sea; elsewhere in the world larger waves destroyed villages. In 79 AD townspeople were going about their daily chores and some hours later the entire town of Pompeii was destroyed and bodies buried. Those who escaped to the beach and hailed the fleet from Misenum may have been grateful to the officer, but not to the maker of Vesuvius.

Civilisations through the ages have gathered to give thanks to their gods, sometimes offering a child to show their thanks. Perhaps the monks who say: laborare est orare, work is prayer, have the right idea. I often wonder whether the birds that respond to my morning meals are grateful in any sense. I think they are.