Does fulfilled bible prophecy prove God's existence?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

FWI
Sage

Does fulfilled bible prophecy prove God's existence?

Post #1

Post by FWI »

There are many prophecies included in the bible. Where, some have been fulfilled and others have not. Yet, it seems to me that even if one bible prophecy can be validated that's enough proof for the existence of God. Or, is there other explanations or doubts?

FWI
Sage

Post #41

Post by FWI »

[Replying to brunumb]

THE PROPHECY:
Abraham's descendants will own the land between the Nile River and the Euphrates River (Genesis 15:18, 17:3,8; Deuteronomy 1:7-8)

WHAT HAPPENED:
Abraham's descendants, of course, never owned all that land. (Acts 7:5, Hebrews 11:13). Yet another failed prophecy by the Almighty himself!

Wrong! The reality of this prophecy is that it is conditional…Hence, if the Israelites didn't hold up to their end of the covenant, which during many periods in history they didn't, the covenant was broken and God was not required to fulfill or hold to His part of the agreement. We only need to review the many reasons and times that Israel was removed from the lands. As well as, the powers that occupied the area to see the displeasure that God had with Israel, its leaders, religion and politics. Even today, many Israelites are breaking the Covenant of Circumcision (land covenant). Yet, for the most part (excluding east of the Jordan) Israel has regained most of the ancient land promised. Where, today the maps of the West Bank are being redrawn for the expected annexations. How long will this last? Nobody knows…It all depends on the obedience to the land covenant!

Oh! By the way, the Nile river was not a border, it was the: Wadi Al-Arish river.

Red Wolf
Apprentice

Re: Does fulfilled bible prophecy prove God's existence?

Post #42

Post by Red Wolf »

[Replying to post 1 by FWI]

IMO none of the prophecies are fulfilled

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #43

Post by Goat »

FWI wrote: There are many prophecies included in the bible. Where, some have been fulfilled and others have not. Yet, it seems to me that even if one bible prophecy can be validated that's enough proof for the existence of God. Or, is there other explanations or doubts?
Why, there are very other many explanations. 1) Out of context quotes 2) vague references, 3) SHoe horned into place after the fact 4) Written to, rather than taken from. 5) Written after the fact, and presented as something written before the fact.6) Self fulfilling prophecy, something that people strived for because of the writing.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

bluegreenearth
Guru

Post #44

Post by bluegreenearth »

FWI wrote: There are many prophecies included in the bible. Where, some have been fulfilled and others have not. Yet, it seems to me that even if one bible prophecy can be validated that's enough proof for the existence of God. Or, is there other explanations or doubts?
Do you accept that criteria when it is offered in defense of a competing religious tradition?

Technically, the validation of a prophecy would only demonstrate that someone was able to accurately make a prediction and would not indicate anything about the claimed explanation for how the individual was able to make the successful prediction. Demonstrating the existence of God in our empirical reality will require more direct empirical evidence.

brunumb
Savant

Post #45

Post by brunumb »

brunumb wrote: [Replying to post 20 by FWI]
I'm wondering: What is the prophecy that you are suggesting wouldn't take much luck to get right in Isa. 7?
I am wondering, what exactly is the prophecy in Isaiah 7 as you see it and how was it fulfilled?
Still wondering FWI. Can you supply your understanding of the prophecy for us to evaluate please.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

brunumb
Savant

Post #46

Post by brunumb »

I would like to give due credit to the author of the following, but unfortunately I am unable to identify the source at this time.
BIBLICAL PROPHESY IS A MYTH

The truth of prophecy in the Bible has been refuted over and over again. In fact this was put to rest well over two hundred years ago when Thomas Paine wrote "Examination of the Prophecies", which completely destroyed the notion that the Bible was full of fulfilled prophecies.

http://www.infidels.org/library/histori ... ecies.html

Saying things like "the Bible is full of PROPHECIES fulfilled" will only earn you snickers from any intelligent, informed reader and will lead to no one taking your viewpoint seriously. In fact, the argument from prophecy is so untenable in the light of both Paine's work and basic common sense that there are only four possible reasons a person would seriously attempt to use it in a discussion:

1. The person is woefully ignorant of the falsifying evidence against messianic prophecy, indicating that they possess a lack of the appropriate education that is necessary in debates with reasonably well-informed opponents.

2. The person is aware of the falsifying evidence against messianic prophecy, but dishonestly continues to use it in argument in the hope that their audience is the type described in #1.

3. The person is aware of the falsifying evidence against messianic prophecy, but has deluded themselves by a number of nonsensical rationalisations into believing that messianic prophecy is nonetheless still a valid doctrine. These rationalisations mainly consist of insisting that Old Testament writers were really writing about the coming of Christ when they appeared to be writing about a completely different situation; or that Christ really did fulfill an Old Testament prophecy even when the prophecy specifies things he did not do or attributes he did not have.

4. The person has a childlike faith and belief in a doctrine such as messianic prophecy which sadly prohibits them from applying the higher reasoning and critical thinking faculties necessary to comprehend the falsifying evidence against that doctrine.
Whether or not one is able to make predictions relating to future events is irrelevant. There is no way to determine if there was any deity involved in the process. Who knows, it may be a property of the universe at a quantum level that the future is accessible in some way.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

FWI
Sage

Post #47

Post by FWI »

[Replying to post 45 by brunumb]
brunumb wrote:Still wondering FWI. Can you supply your understanding of the prophecy for us to evaluate please.

Poster Difflugia and I are already involved in debating the Isaiah 7 prophecy, which you seemed to have already reviewed (the first few posts)! So, you can continue to view our interactions anytime…Please, be patient with us.

brunumb
Savant

Post #48

Post by brunumb »

[Replying to post 47 by FWI]

OK, thank you. I hope the discussion will include your interpretation of that prophecy.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #49

Post by Goat »

FWI wrote:
I'm wondering: What is the prophecy that you are suggesting wouldn't take much luck to get right in Isa. 7?

Isaiah 7 (I assume you mean Isaiah 7:14) is an example of out of context quotes, followed by it being shoe horned into place.

It is out of context, because if you read Isaiah 8, you will see that Isaiah is specifically talking about his wife and son. It is mistranslated, because 'almah' does not mean virgin.

Because it is talking about Isaiah's own wife and son, it is also 'after the fact' from Isaiah's stand point.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

FWI
Sage

Post #50

Post by FWI »

Goat wrote:Isaiah 7 (I assume you mean Isaiah 7:14) is an example of out of context quotes, followed by it being shoe horned into place.

Sorry, your assumption is incorrect. I was asking Difflugia (post 20) what prophecy he was referring to in Isaiah 7. He made his reply, in post 30 and I followed his comments in post 32. So, the prophecy being debated in Isaiah 7 (between Dufflugia and myself) is related to verses 1-9…Where, Isaiah 7:14 is not being discussed at all. However, I may return to Isaiah 7:14 at a later time.