Why Islam does not clash with modern science, or does it?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Abdelrahman
Student

Why Islam does not clash with modern science, or does it?

Post #1

Post by Abdelrahman »

Peace be unto all of you! Believers and Non-Believers alike!

As a Muslim, we put huge regard on scripture not clashing with modern science. We believe that if God created the scripture then it should not contain errors in it when referencing the natural world and what we've come to understand about it.

"Then do they not reflect upon the Qur'an? If it had been from [any] other than Allah, they would have found within it much contradiction." - The Holy Quran (4:82)

Many Christian/Atheist debates exist out there, but I am saddened to see that no atheists debate Muslim scholars who read and write Arabic fluently. When debates are organized between people who don't understand arabic or science it goes no where.

Arabic is my mother tongue. I also speak English at home so I'd say im fluent in both. I am a science university graduate and I love the topic of religion and science.

In Islam, we don't have 'blind faith'. I am not allowed to believe something blindly, I must have reasons. Real reasons. That is why we believe God allowed the prophets to perform miracles - so as to give people a sign. And since we believe the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) to be the last prophet, his sign and lasting miracle is the Qur'an. The Qur'an is meant to be a 'sign' to the end of time and I invite all members to reflect on its verses.

I am looking to debate someone on whether or not Islamic scriptural references to the natural world clash with modern scientific understanding!

benchwarmer
Guru

Re: Why Islam does not clash with modern science, or does it

Post #131

Post by benchwarmer »

EDITED

I must have grabbed the wrong poster somehow. I guess I'm replying to the person Mae was replying to in post #129
ALMOST FORGOT! NOAHS FLOOD! Look up the work of Graham Hancock and Randall Carlson.
Why am I not surprised by what I found:

Graham Hancock
(NOTE: This is from wikipedia, so follow all references and check for accuracy as desired)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Hancock
Graham Bruce Hancock (born 2 August 1950) is a British writer who promotes pseudoscientific[2][3] theories involving ancient civilizations and hypothetical lost lands.[4] Hancock speculates that an advanced ice age civilization was destroyed in a cataclysm, but that its survivors passed on their knowledge to hunter-gatherers, giving rise to the earliest known civilizations of ancient Egypt, Mesopotamia, and Mesoamerica.[5][6]
Reviews of Hancock's interpretations of archaeological evidence and historic documents have identified them as a form of pseudoarchaeology[7][8] or pseudohistory[9][10] containing confirmation bias supporting preconceived conclusions by ignoring context, cherry picking, or misinterpreting evidence, and withholding critical countervailing data.[11][12] His writings have neither undergone scholarly peer review nor been published in academic journals.[13]
Randall Carlson
From my searching, he appears to support the Younger Dryas impact hypothesis.

Same NOTE as above, follow all references and check for accuracy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Younger_D ... hypothesis
The Younger Dryas impact hypothesis (YDIH) or Clovis comet hypothesis is a speculative attempt to explain the onset of the Younger Dryas (YD) cooling at the end of the Last Glacial Period, around 12,900 years ago.[citation needed]The hypothesis is controversial and not widely accepted by relevant experts.[1][2][3]
The Comet research group (CRG), dedicated to investigating the YDIH, was established in 2016.[1] Members of this group have been criticized for promoting pseudoscience, pseudoarchaeology, and pseudohistory, engaging in cherry-picking of data based on confirmation bias, seeking to persuade via the bandwagon fallacy, and even engaging in intentional misrepresentations of archaeological and geological evidence.

So, we are being directed to two men who appear to engage in pseudo science. Color me shocked.

Now, to be fair we can't completely write off what these men are saying if they can actually back it up with verifiable evidence. Based on what I've found about these men though, my hopes are not very high.
Last edited by benchwarmer on Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mae von H
Sage

Post #132

Post by Mae von H »

benchwarmer wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:32 pm
Mae von H wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:18 pm ALMOST FORGOT! NOAHS FLOOD! Look up the work of Graham Hancock and Randall Carlson.

Graham Hancock
(NOTE: This is from wikipedia, so follow all references and check for accuracy as desired)

Graham Bruce Hancock (born 2 August 1950) is a British writer who promotes pseudoscientific[2][3] theories involving ancient civilizations and hypothetical lost lands.[4] Hancock speculates that an advanced ice age civilization was destroyed in a cataclysm, but that its survivors passed on their knowledge to hunter-gatherers, giving rise to the earliest known civilizations of ancient Egypt, Mesopotamia, and Mesoamerica.[5][6]
Reviews of Hancock's interpretations of archaeological evidence and historic documents have identified them as a form of pseudoarchaeology[7][8] or pseudohistory[9][10] containing confirmation bias supporting preconceived conclusions by ignoring context, cherry picking, or misinterpreting evidence, and withholding critical countervailing data.[11][12] His writings have neither undergone scholarly peer review nor been published in academic journals.[13]
Randall Carlson

The Younger Dryas impact hypothesis (YDIH) or Clovis comet hypothesis is a speculative attempt to explain the onset of the Younger Dryas (YD) cooling at the end of the Last Glacial Period, around 12,900 years ago.[citation needed]The hypothesis is controversial and not widely accepted by relevant experts.[1][2][3]
The Comet research group (CRG), dedicated to investigating the YDIH, was established in 2016.[1] Members of this group have been criticized for promoting pseudoscience, pseudoarchaeology, and pseudohistory, engaging in cherry-picking of data based on confirmation bias, seeking to persuade via the bandwagon fallacy, and even engaging in intentional misrepresentations of archaeological and geological evidence.

So, we are being directed to two men who appear to engage in pseudo science. Color me shocked.

Now, to be fair we can't completely write off what these men are saying if they can actually back it up with verifiable evidence. Based on what I've found about these men though, my hopes are not very high.
Can you please edit this as I DID NOT write what you’ve accused me of writing.

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #133

Post by benchwarmer »

Mae von H wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:37 pm
Mae von H wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:18 pm ALMOST FORGOT! NOAHS FLOOD! Look up the work of Graham Hancock and Randall Carlson.

Graham Hancock

Randall Carlson

Oh my, my apologies. I was going by post #129. Did you just make a post that had no reply? I thought that was you. I'll edit it right now. Sorry!!!

Mae von H
Sage

Post #134

Post by Mae von H »

benchwarmer wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:03 pm
Mae von H wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:37 pm

Graham Hancock

Randall Carlson

Oh my, my apologies. I was going by post #129. Did you just make a post that had no reply? I thought that was you. I'll edit it right now. Sorry!!!
Thank you! I had some difficulty and it saved a post from me with no answer from me. So I played a role in the misunderstanding.