But is everything declared to be so by the Church, true?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

polonius
Prodigy

But is everything declared to be so by the Church, true?

Post #1

Post by polonius »

A recent response to a post contained a very common belief among
Catholics:

"The CC has declared that ….."

Do you believe everything that the Catholic Church declares? Shall we look at some "infallible" teachings?

MarysSon
Banned
Banned

Re: When was the existence of a Trinity first taught?

Post #21

Post by MarysSon »

brianbbs67 wrote: You miss characterize Iraneous here. He was as dogmatic as his teacher, Polycarp. He even wrote the Pope about the easter issue and 14th of nissan which was passover. It went something close to this, "As you know my tea]cher Polycarp was very orthodox in his beliefs as am I but very forgiving in non orthodox things such as the date of Easter". Right there the Pope is told Easter is not doctrinal. It still isn't. This applied to Athanasuis also.
What are you talking about??

I was showing evidence of the belief in the TRINITY among the Early Church Fathers. This has nothing to do with the Quartodecimen Controversy and Easter. Besides - you got Irenaeus's position wrong.

I didn't "mis-characterize" anybody . . .

polonius
Prodigy

Post #22

Post by polonius »

MarysSon posted:

"The same if true for the Trinity. It wasn't officially defined until the Church was about 300 years old - but it was ALWAYS taught."????

RESPONSE: "Alwasy" taught??? Is it in the Gospels?

But you don't give any example before 177 AD when the legend began. It became a formal official teaching at the Council of Nices because Conatantine told the bishops to stop quibbling and make it an official teaching.

polonius
Prodigy

Post #23

Post by polonius »

[quote="polonius"]
MarysSon posted:

"The same if true for the Trinity. It wasn't officially defined until the Church was about 300 years old - but it was ALWAYS taught."????

RESPONSE: "Alwasy" taught??? Is it in the Gospels?

Yet you yourself can't give any example before 177 AD when the legend began. It became a formal official teaching at the Council of Nicea because Constantine told the bishops to stop quibbling and make it an official teaching. The Pope didn't make the decision

polonius
Prodigy

Post #24

Post by polonius »

polonius wrote:
polonius wrote: MarysSon posted:

RESPONSE: "Always" taught??? Is it in the Gospels?

Yet you yourself can't give any example before 177 AD . It became a formal official teaching at the Council of Nicea because Constantine told the bishops to stop quibbling and make it an official teaching. The Pope didn't make the decision
Note that the early Christians remained devout Temple worshipping Jews including "Hear O Israel, the Lord is One". They didn't have a Trinity. When some began to claim that Jesus was divine, they were anathmatized and driven from the synogues! Read the Gospel of John,

polonius
Prodigy

Post #25

Post by polonius »

MarysSon wrote:
brianbbs67 wrote: You miss characterize Iraneous here. He was as dogmatic as his teacher, Polycarp. He even wrote the Pope about the easter issue and 14th of nissan which was passover. It went something close to this, "As you know my tea]cher Polycarp was very orthodox in his beliefs as am I but very forgiving in non orthodox things such as the date of Easter". Right there the Pope is told Easter is not doctrinal. It still isn't. This applied to Athanasuis also.
What are you talking about??

I was showing evidence of the belief in the TRINITY among the Early Church Fathers. This has nothing to do with the Quartodecimen Controversy and Easter. Besides - you got Irenaeus's position wrong.

I didn't "mis-characterize" anybody . . .
QUESTION Didn't the Quartodecimen Controversy have to due with arguing the correct date of Easter? What did that have to do with a Trinity? :-s

MarysSon
Banned
Banned

Post #26

Post by MarysSon »

polonius wrote: QUESTION Didn't the Quartodecimen Controversy have to due with arguing the correct date of Easter? What did that have to do with a Trinity? :-s
Yes - MY point, exactly . . .

polonius
Prodigy

Were there really two sons of Mary named Jesus?

Post #27

Post by polonius »

A simple test regarding the inertance of scripture.

When did Matthew claim that Jesus was born?.See Matt 2.

When did Luke claim that Jesus was born? See Luke 2

Notice the ten year differnce. One or both Gospels are "inspired" nonsence

Should I post a series of scriptural errors so if someone triies to prove a point by quoting scripture, readers will recognize how weak an argument that is.

polonius
Prodigy

Post #28

Post by polonius »

MarysSon wrote:
polonius wrote: MarysSon posted:

"The same if true for the Trinity. It wasn't officially defined until the Church was about 300 years old - but it was ALWAYS taught."

Question: When was the existence of a "Trinity" first taught?
In Scripture (Matt. 28:19).
Was this added to Matthew's gospel?

I believe there
are four or five reports of Baptism in scripture. All are in the name of Jesus alone. Look it up. No mention of a Trinity.

It nowhere claimed tha the

MarysSon
Banned
Banned

Post #29

Post by MarysSon »

polonius wrote: Note that the early Christians remained devout Temple worshipping Jews including "Hear O Israel, the Lord is One". They didn't have a Trinity. When some began to claim that Jesus was divine, they were anathmatized and driven from the synogues! Read the Gospel of John
Ummmmm, note that the Gospel of John actually proclaims Jesus to be God:
John 20:27-29
Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here, and see my hands; and put out your hand, and place it in my side. Do not disbelieve, but believe.� Thomas answered him, “My LORD and my GOD!� Jesus said to him, “Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.�

MarysSon
Banned
Banned

Post #30

Post by MarysSon »

polonius wrote: Was this added to Matthew's gospel?

I believe there
are four or five reports of Baptism in scripture. All are in the name of Jesus alone. Look it up. No mention of a Trinity.
Nope - this was ALWAYS in Matt. 28:19.

Funny that the ONE time Jesus gave explicit instructions on HOW to Baptize - HE said to do it in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit . . .