Communion

What would you do if?

Moderator: Moderators

Should you accept?

NO! it is the utmost sin for an unbeliever to pretend to accept communion and is blasphemy
38%
Yes. it would be inappropriate to refuse and exremely rude to the couple
6%
Its a matter of personal choise, neither accepting nor refusing is right or wrong.
56%

Total votes: 16

FinalEnigma
Site Supporter

Communion

Post #1

Post by FinalEnigma »

lets say you're an agnostic(participating in any religious activity's does not bother you because you are open to all religions). you are best man at your friends christian wedding. communion is offered to the wedding party and anyone who wants to come up and accept it. what should you do?

Goat
Site Supporter

Re: Communion

Post #2

Post by Goat »

FinalEnigma wrote:lets say you're an agnostic(participating in any religious activity's does not bother you because you are open to all religions). you are best man at your friends christian wedding. communion is offered to the wedding party and anyone who wants to come up and accept it. what should you do?
I would not. IMO, something like that should be done with an open heart with the acceptance of all it entails. To accept communion without the belief cheapens the belief of the others.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by McCulloch »

You are best man at your friends christian wedding. Communion is offered to the wedding party and anyone who wants to come up and accept it. What should you do?
  • NO! it is the utmost sin for an unbeliever to pretend to accept communion and is blasphemy.
    While I don't believe that accepting communion will do any further harm to my imaginary eternal soul, in most cases it would be inappropriate to partake in a religious celebration clearly intended only for believers in that religion. I believe that the Communion, from what the Christian scriptures teach is intended only for believers.
  • Yes. it would be inappropriate to refuse and exremely rude to the couple
    No. It would be inappropriate and rude of the couple to expect members of the wedding party to participate in religious rites that they may not be comfortable participating in.
  • Its a matter of personal choice, neither accepting nor refusing is right or wrong.
    The strength of this claim varies depending on denomination. However, Christian scriptures do teach that communion is for believers only.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

topaz
Apprentice

Post #4

Post by topaz »

FinalEnigma wrote: lets say you're an agnostic(participating in any religious activity's does not bother you because you are open to all religions). you are best man at your friends christian wedding. communion is offered to the wedding party and anyone who wants to come up and accept it. what should you do?
First, you must know what communion is about. It is between a believer and God. Taking part in this communion is an act of declaration on your part that you will keep to the terms of the covenant set by God. It is a sacred act that involves blessings / curses.

Would you partake in the communion of a satanic worship ritual, ie. drink blood of human or animal ? Do you think you can walk away as free as you entered ? You think it has no consequences to you ? Again, partaking means declaring you’re a part of satan’s kingdom and his covenants.

What about non-christian festivals where party and worship take place simultaneously. Do you think you can go there, enjoy eating and drinking, then walk away as free as you entered ? That is the reason the bible say not to eat food offered to idols b/c of the spiritual impact on the person partaking it.

methylatedghosts
Sage

Post #5

Post by methylatedghosts »

I would not, out of respect for the church and the church's followers. Also, I don't believe in communion and what it is for, so no, I would not do it. I probably would also not "approve" of other people, who I knew not to normally do it, and they went and took communion.

But, I believe God really wouldn't mind either way.
Ye are Gods

Arbela
Student

Post #6

Post by Arbela »

I have both received and refused under different circumstances and didn't really worry about it. It all came down to the particular situation I was in.

methylatedghosts
Sage

Post #7

Post by methylatedghosts »

Arbela wrote:I have both received and refused under different circumstances and didn't really worry about it. It all came down to the particular situation I was in.
Was this while you were Catholic that you received it, or was it also while you were not?
Ye are Gods

Arbela
Student

Post #8

Post by Arbela »

While I was not.

Most of the time, when put in that situation, I don't take communion.

In one particular instance, I felt it would be best for all involved if I went along with it. I saw it as a nice thing to do and felt that was a good enough reason.

Student Nurse
Student

Post #9

Post by Student Nurse »

let's switch this around. You are at church with a friend. You are not a Christian or "have sin in your heart" etc. Would YOU want to be the one to stay in your seat while everyone else goes forward for communion? A little embarrassing, isn't it?

And since David says that even a clean heart in our eyes is filthy rags before God, what difference does it make?

I say that if communion is meant to bring everyone together then all should be allowed to participate. (or however the third choice was worded).

Let's flip the situation around again. If you are the friend who is bringing an unbeliever to church, would you take the communion out of that person's hand before they have a chance to eat it? "It's not for you because you have not repented". That seems kind of rude, doesn't it?
exploring the universe and myself...

Arbela
Student

Post #10

Post by Arbela »

Student Nurse wrote:let's switch this around. You are at church with a friend. You are not a Christian or "have sin in your heart" etc. Would YOU want to be the one to stay in your seat while everyone else goes forward for communion? A little embarrassing, isn't it?
I've done this, and it wasn't embarrassing at all. :) I prefer it, actually.