Does it matter what Jesus looked like?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Cmass
Guru

Does it matter what Jesus looked like?

Post #1

Post by Cmass »

I did a bit of research this evening concerning what Jesus might have looked like if he had existed as a historical figure and it got me to thinking a bit about the depiction of Jesus and the whole scene back then. There is some recent work that has been done in this area that concludes a rather homely savior:
* A bit over 5' tall, 110lbs, very dark sun dried skin, short & dark wiry hair. All in all, a small, scrappy, gnarly dude. I don't want to debate the science that went into reconstructing Jesus. It was extensive and has not been the basis of great challenge by most Christians.
But ultimately, it should not matter should it? It should only be a matter of curiosity but not really make any difference in our faith.....right? Why then do we - especially in the West - make Jesus in our own image?

The Jesus TV channels do this to the extreme. Last Xmas I watched the story of Joseph & Mary on the local Jesus channel and was happily appalled that Mary looked to be about 5' 10", long, slender shaven legs, long blond hair, clean, pearly white teeth, a perfect figure, high cheek bones and beautiful sparkling blue eyes. She was absolutely hot and no amount of sack-cloth garments could hide it. Same with Joseph (Of Malibu?).
But why? Why not make them more realistic? I have yet to see ONE Chrisitian-made film where the main characters have rotten teeth, scraggly hair, flies buzzing around their unclean backsides. And they all speak proper Elizabeathen English - even though rarely quoting the bible (only words from the bible; what a horrible screenplay that would be!) with American accents and communicate with typical modern gestures and expressions.
Why?

Cmass
Guru

Post #71

Post by Cmass »

However, there is one thing that you have failed to notice. Good looking people are better actors!

WE THINK good looking people are better actors. Christy Brinkley does not need to act well at all. She only needs to stand in one place - or better yet, bend over - to get my vote for an academy award. Even at her "advanced" age.
But Jesus? My gay friend claims every Jesus he has seen on the big screen (and small) is quite attractive. Was it intentional that Jesus be sexually attractive to gay men and straight women?
(BTW: I'm glad you find this entertaining. Otherwise, who the heck cares?!?!)
Last edited by Cmass on Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FiredUp4jesus
Scholar

Post #72

Post by FiredUp4jesus »

Cmass wrote:However, there is one thing that you have failed to notice. Good looking people are better actors!
WE THINK good looking people are better actors. Christy Brinkley does not need to act well at all. She only needs to stand in one place - or better yet, bend over - to get my vote for an academy award. Even at her "advanced" age.
But Jesus? My gay friend claims every Jesus he has seen on the big screen (and small) is quite attractive. Was it intentional that Jesus be sexually attractive to gay men and straight women?
(BTW: I'm glad you find this entertaining. Otherwise, who the heck cares?!?!)
You completely missed my point! The only reason that Jesus is always good looking is that He is the central charector in the story. Everyone knows that the best actors play the leading role. Since the best actors are all good looking, Jesus is always played by a good looking actor. See nothing sinister going on at all. ;)
You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. Jer 29:13 NIV

Cmass
Guru

Post #73

Post by Cmass »

You completely missed my point!

Then we are in completely different dimensions.

The only reason that Jesus is always good looking is that He is the central charector in the story.

If the devil was the central character would he be good looking? (Wait, never mind, I know the answer: "Oh Marge, he was devilishly good looking!")

Everyone knows that the best actors play the leading role.

Yep, every single golly darned time! Especially when the leading role requires a 6' tall, well endowed, 18 year old gorgeous blond. (like the "Mary" I saw on the Jesus channel last year during Xmas movie time)

Since the best actors are all good looking, Jesus is always played by a good looking actor. See nothing sinister going on at all.

This is, by far the most creative logic I have seen all day!
5 tokens for you Mr. Firedup! Wait, no, 10 tokens!

FiredUp4jesus
Scholar

Post #74

Post by FiredUp4jesus »

Cmass wrote:
You completely missed my point!

Then we are in completely different dimensions.

The only reason that Jesus is always good looking is that He is the central charector in the story.

If the devil was the central character would he be good looking? (Wait, never mind, I know the answer: "Oh Marge, he was devilishly good looking!")

Everyone knows that the best actors play the leading role.

Yep, every single golly darned time! Especially when the leading role requires a 6' tall, well endowed, 18 year old gorgeous blond. (like the "Mary" I saw on the Jesus channel last year during Xmas movie time)

Since the best actors are all good looking, Jesus is always played by a good looking actor. See nothing sinister going on at all.

This is, by far the most creative logic I have seen all day!
5 tokens for you Mr. Firedup! Wait, no, 10 tokens!
Why thank you!! :D
You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. Jer 29:13 NIV

Cmass
Guru

Post #75

Post by Cmass »

But still, as an honest Christian, wouldn't the honest answer be simple: It is marketing manipulation that appeals to our base instincts with the ultimate goal of getting us to buy something - whether it be "buy the story" or "by Pat Robertson's gold-plated, signed bible".
The honest answer would be: Yes, it is an embarrassment to my faith and should stop.

FiredUp4jesus
Scholar

Post #76

Post by FiredUp4jesus »

Cmass wrote:But still, as an honest Christian, wouldn't the honest answer be simple: It is marketing manipulation that appeals to our base instincts with the ultimate goal of getting us to buy something - whether it be "buy the story" or "by Pat Robertson's gold-plated, signed bible".
The honest answer would be: Yes, it is an embarrassment to my faith and should stop.
To be completely honest, there are a lot of cheesy Christians out there. The number of people really dedicated to following Christ and serving God is anyone's guess. Only God knows what lurks in the heart of man after all. Even worse than the cheesy guys are the deranged ones who say that God told them to commit their horrible acts. They really piss me off! As far as movies go, I thought Passion was really done well. I don't think that anyone was thinking Jim Caveesal was all that hot in that one. I even saw an interview with Mel Gibson where he was talking about how they tried to make the actress playing Mary look uglier with dirt and make-up.

Cmass
Guru

Post #77

Post by Cmass »

Passion was really done well. I don't think that anyone was thinking Jim Caveesal was all that hot in that one. I even saw an interview with Mel Gibson where he was talking about how they tried to make the actress playing Mary look uglier with dirt and make-up.

Jim is a local boy who live 1/2 hour North of me. He is a model. Throwing dirt on these people and putting them in sack cloths just doesn't do it.
I would like to see Jesus portrayed by someone who is 5'1" and looks like the fellow I have shown in an earlier post. AND I would like to see them act in ways that would be appropriate for the times! If they did this, I would be much more inclined to watch.

BTW: I relieved to hear you don't go for the cheesy side of Christianity! Do you buy any of the goods? Dolls, posters etc..?

FiredUp4jesus
Scholar

Post #78

Post by FiredUp4jesus »

Cmass wrote:
Passion was really done well. I don't think that anyone was thinking Jim Caveesal was all that hot in that one. I even saw an interview with Mel Gibson where he was talking about how they tried to make the actress playing Mary look uglier with dirt and make-up.

Jim is a local boy who live 1/2 hour North of me. He is a model. Throwing dirt on these people and putting them in sack cloths just doesn't do it.
I would like to see Jesus portrayed by someone who is 5'1" and looks like the fellow I have shown in an earlier post. AND I would like to see them act in ways that would be appropriate for the times! If they did this, I would be much more inclined to watch.

BTW: I relieved to hear you don't go for the cheesy side of Christianity! Do you buy any of the goods? Dolls, posters etc..?
That stuff makes me want to puke!!! I wish John Stossel would do a "Fleesing of Christianity Special." On second thought it would be too embarrassing.

Cmass
Guru

Post #79

Post by Cmass »

That stuff makes me want to puke!!! I wish John Stossel would do a "Fleesing of Christianity Special." On second thought it would be too embarrassing.
Now see!?!?! That wasn't too hard was it? Other Christians take note of Firedup over here. He is being honest and rejecting the marketing scam portion of Christianity.
I think it is CRITICAL that other Christians do this as well. In my Mom's church they are calling it "taking back Jesus" or some such thing. Rejecting the huge corporate side of the whole thing. Rejecting wacko Jerry Falwells and John Hagees who want nothing more than to reach into your pockets and grab what they can find (and I mean WHATEVER they can find).
If you and other Christians REALLY did this it would, in my opininion, purge your faith and give you much more credibility.
Throw out the Jesus dolls. Turn off the Jesus TV. Help poor people yourself. Stop war & work toward peace.
Last edited by Cmass on Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FiredUp4jesus
Scholar

Post #80

Post by FiredUp4jesus »

Cmass wrote:That stuff makes me want to puke!!! I wish John Stossel would do a "Fleesing of Christianity Special." On second thought it would be too embarrassing.

Now see!?!?! That wasn't too hard was it? Other Christians take note of Firedup over here. He is being honest and rejecting the marketing scam portion of Christianity.
I think it is CRITICAL that other Christians do this as well. In my Mom's church they are calling it "taking back Jesus" or some such thing. Rejecting the huge corporate side of the whole thing. Rejecting wacko Jerry Falwells and John Hagees who want nothing more than to reach into your pockets and grab what they can find (and I mean WHATEVER they can find).
If you and other Christians REALLY did this it would, in my opininion, purge your faith and give you much more credibility.
Throw out the Jesus dolls. Turn off the Jesus TV. Help poor people yourself. Stop war & work toward peace.
Wouldn't that be great! I wish more christians would act like Christ too!