Site Supporter

Lourdes shrine closes healing pools

Post #1

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

CATHOLIC HERALD
March 3, 2020
Lourdes shrine closes healing pools as precaution against coronavirus
https://catholicherald.co.uk/lourdes-sh ... ronavirus/

What does this say about the church's confidence in the "miraculous" properties of the water at Lourdes?
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

SallyF
Guru

Post #2

Post by SallyF »

It says to me that these Christians know perfectly well that their religion is a delusional game of Pretend.

It says to me that these Christians know perfectly well that their Jehovah-Jesus-Holy Ghost version of "God" is just a make-believe character that has no influence on anything in their lives other than their imaginations.

It says to me that their failure to admit their known delusion amounts to downright deception
"God" … just whatever humans imagine it to be.

"Scripture" … just whatever humans write it to be.

Savant

Re: Lourdes shrine closes healing pools

Post #3

Post by 1213 »

Tired of the Nonsense wrote: ...
What does this say about the church's confidence in the "miraculous" properties of the water at Lourdes?
It depends on, did they do it because government ordered it, or because they fear something that is basically like a common flu? If they fear this China virus, why don’t they fear common influenza that is about as dangerous?

brunumb
Savant

Post #4

Post by brunumb »

1213 wrote:
It depends on, did they do it because government ordered it, or because they fear something that is basically like a common flu? If they fear this China virus, why don’t they fear common influenza that is about as dangerous?
The fear is complete loss of credibility, and revenue, when instead of the odd person getting an allegedly miraculous cure, thousands are infected by a highly infectious disease. Not good for God's image.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #5

Post by benchwarmer »

1213 wrote:
Well, if you bothered to read the linked article in the OP:
“As a precaution, the pools have been closed until further notice.�
This really says everything. If these were actual healing pools, they would not close them but route every single visitor THROUGH them. They would also be shouting from the rooftops that everyone should visit. They would not only be rich from all the visitors, but create an area of reduced spread and death if the pools actually did anything.

As an aside, your obvious lack of knowledge about this virus is plain to see. I can only hope you don't contract it or I imagine you will be unwittingly spreading it in your community due to lack of care for what it can actually do.

Mithrae
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by Mithrae »

[Replying to post 1 by Tired of the Nonsense]

Some folk demand a God who will step in to rescue them every time they throw themselves off a building. I suppose to those people - be they Christians or critics - taking basic sensible precautions like not throwing yourself off the pinnacle of the temple or spreading a harmful disease must seem like a "lack of faith."

By analogy, those same people must be demanding that recipients of secular charity and aid should take no actions of their own to improve their circumstances, because to do so would demonstrate a lack of confidence or gratitude for that assistance :-s If you really believe someone can help you, you wouldn't do it yourself, right? Maybe I'm just not smart enough to see why it's a good argument.

Of course on the flip side of the coin, many of those same critics would also condemn shrines or churches if they remained open: Such a damned if they do and damned if they don't approach would suggest that it's far more a matter of reaching for justification of a preconceived opinion than fairly assessing the merits or otherwise of those institutions' actions.

Tcg
Savant

Post #7

Post by Tcg »

Tired of the Nonsense wrote: CATHOLIC HERALD
March 3, 2020
Lourdes shrine closes healing pools as precaution against coronavirus
https://catholicherald.co.uk/lourdes-sh ... ronavirus/

It shows that they realize a panacea is no match for a pandemic. Panaceas may work well for some psychosomatic complaints, but are much less effective when facing an actual pathogen.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by Purple Knight »

benchwarmer wrote:As an aside, your obvious lack of knowledge about this virus is plain to see. I can only hope you don't contract it or I imagine you will be unwittingly spreading it in your community due to lack of care for what it can actually do.
I find it kind of bullyish to accuse someone of lack of knowledge when the experts recently revised their figures from 2-3% mortality down to 1.4%.

That's a 100% margin for error.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/16/low ... estimates/

Does it seem to you like anyone is all that knowledgeable about this virus?

It's a whole different can of beans than making fun of somebody for not knowing that caterpillars turn into butterflies.

This epidemic hasn't even been in the US for a month.

It's like making fun of someone for not knowing the theory of evolution less than thirty days after Origin of Species was published.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by Zzyzx »

Purple Knight wrote: This epidemic hasn't even been in the US for a month.
Speaking of a 100% margin of error . . . Covid-19 has been in the US well over two months -- first case was January 21

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho ... in-the-u-s
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #10

Post by benchwarmer »

Purple Knight wrote:
benchwarmer wrote:As an aside, your obvious lack of knowledge about this virus is plain to see. I can only hope you don't contract it or I imagine you will be unwittingly spreading it in your community due to lack of care for what it can actually do.
I find it kind of bullyish to accuse someone of lack of knowledge when the experts recently revised their figures from 2-3% mortality down to 1.4%.
Who said anything about correcting 1213 on mortality rates???

1213 thinks this pandemic is fake and no worse than the flu:
1213 wrote: basically like a common flu
1213 wrote: I think this whole pandemic is fake and the virus is no more dangerous than common influenza
The current situation in hospitals shows this is neither fake nor the same as 'common influenza'.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/30/us/brook ... index.html

I don't think I'm being a bully when I point out the lack of knowledge of others. If they feel bullied, perhaps they should simply back up their statements and/or report me to the mods. Or, they could better educate themselves on what is actually going on around them in the world.

It's clear this pandemic is spreading rapidly and straining health care resources. Those who choose to take this lightly will also probably ignore medical experts who are trying to tell us how to slow the spread of this thing. Those who refuse to take this seriously are the ones who are going to cause the rest of us to suffer the consequences. If they were only risking their own health we could feel sad for them, but accept them taking risks with their own lives. This is not the case since they are risking anyone they come into contact with if they happen to be infected.