News break: We HAVE found life on another planet!

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Cmass
Guru

News break: We HAVE found life on another planet!

Post #1

Post by Cmass »

I'm not sure if anyone heard the news yet, but yesterday, we found out there is indeed a civilization of intelligent beings on a planet orbiting Vega! They have sent us plans for a spaceship to take us there to meet them. They look like giant beetles but are highly advanced.
Based upon all the information we have gathered they appear to be very healthy, happy and peaceful. War has never been a part of their known history and they are not sure what it is or why it would be needed. Conflict exists but is used as a means to advance. (They so have problems mind you, especially because their star is aging)

* When we arrive on their planet, are we likely to see any crosses? Will they have a religion and if so, what might it look like?
Last edited by Cmass on Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

otseng
Savant

Post #2

Post by otseng »

No, I haven't heard the news about this. Are you sure it wasn't referring to Vegas? Could you give the source where this is being reported?

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Goat »

otseng wrote:No, I haven't heard the news about this. Are you sure it wasn't referring to Vegas? Could you give the source where this is being reported?
I believe it was tongue in cheek, opening in speculation about religion on another planet.

Cmass
Guru

Post #4

Post by Cmass »

Here is the source:
http://www.suzannevega.com/

Yes, I meant "Vega". Vega (α Lyr / α Lyrae / Alpha Lyrae) is the brightest star in the constellation Lyra, and the fifth brightest star in the sky. It is the second brightest star in the Northern night sky, after Arcturus, and can often be seen near the zenith in the mid-northern latitudes during the Northern Hemisphere summer.
In addition: Apparently, their entire personal transportation system consists of little flying machines that look astonishingly like a certain little car from the 1970s!

So, when we visit, will we see crosses? Will they have a religion? If so, what will it look like?

AB

Post #5

Post by AB »

Cmass wrote:Here is the source:
http://www.suzannevega.com/

Yes, I meant "Vega". Vega (α Lyr / α Lyrae / Alpha Lyrae) is the brightest star in the constellation Lyra, and the fifth brightest star in the sky. It is the second brightest star in the Northern night sky, after Arcturus, and can often be seen near the zenith in the mid-northern latitudes during the Northern Hemisphere summer.
In addition: Apparently, their entire personal transportation system consists of little flying machines that look astonishingly like a certain little car from the 1970s!

So, when we visit, will we see crosses? Will they have a religion? If so, what will it look like?
My bet is we will not end up visiting Vega. So, it's a mute point.

Cmass
Guru

Post #6

Post by Cmass »

Thoughtful answer - thank you!
But, if the spaceship designs they gave us DO work and we go visit them, will we see crosses? Will they have a religion? If so, what might it look like?

AB

Post #7

Post by AB »

Cmass wrote:
But, if the spaceship designs they gave us DO work and we go visit them, will we see crosses? Will they have a religion? If so, what might it look like?
I don't know for sure. But, just in case they don't, we better bring our bibles and be prepared to let them know about the Gospel.

Cmass
Guru

Post #8

Post by Cmass »

I don't know for sure. But, just in case they don't, we better bring our bibles and be prepared to let them know about the Gospel.

But what if they DO have a religion? What might it look like? Of course you don't know for sure because nobody has visited yet - but speculate.

What if the descriptions of them are true and they look like giant Dung Beetles? (We might want a bag of Buffalo chips as a piece offering but have a can of Raid handy just in case)
How can we minister to these creatures? (assuming we can work out a language translator)

Metatron
Guru

Post #9

Post by Metatron »

Cmass wrote:
I'm not sure that crucifixion would work very well on a beetle so I think the cross is out. So if there is some sort of Christ Beetle the beetle Romans will probably use another method of execution (pinning him to the wall like a bug collector?), thus a different religious icon.

As for the nature of their religion, that would be tough to speculate on without knowing more. Since beetles develope through metamorphosis, going from an egg to a larva with a succession of moults finally going into a pupa stage from which the adult emerges, it's hard to imagine that this would not impact their religion. They might imagine themselves emerging from their adult form like they did from the pupa into some spirit form.

Cmass
Guru

Post #10

Post by Cmass »

As for the nature of their religion, that would be tough to speculate on without knowing more. Since beetles develope through metamorphosis, going from an egg to a larva with a succession of moults finally going into a pupa stage from which the adult emerges, it's hard to imagine that this would not impact their religion. They might imagine themselves emerging from their adult form like they did from the pupa into some spirit form.
Bravo!

So, their "cross" would be in the form of a pin stuck to a wafer board.
Last edited by Cmass on Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:37 am, edited 2 times in total.