was Lord Jesus educated?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

cristian_gavrilescu
Student

was Lord Jesus educated?

Post #1

Post by cristian_gavrilescu »

17 And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written,

18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,

19 To preach the acceptable year of the Lord. (Luke 4:17-19)

the bible was made for ordinary people, easy to understand, Lord Jesus spoke simple

37 But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil. (Matthew 5:37)

how to be smart when you know nothing sure? we know nothing for sure, all of us, so people like to mime intelligence, even they know zero

Elijah John
Savant

Re: was Lord Jesus educated?

Post #2

Post by Elijah John »

cristian_gavrilescu wrote: 17 And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written,

18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,

19 To preach the acceptable year of the Lord. (Luke 4:17-19)

the bible was made for ordinary people, easy to understand, Lord Jesus spoke simple

37 But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil. (Matthew 5:37)

how to be smart when you know nothing sure? we know nothing for sure, all of us, so people like to mime intelligence, even they know zero
It seems that Jesus was indeed educated. At least in the fundamentals of Judaism. Historical Jesus scholars often paint him as an illiterate peasant. I understand their reasoning, but I think they are mistaken here. I think they are overlooking Jesus own religious context of Judaism, a culture which even then valued learning, especially Torah education.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

cristian_gavrilescu
Student

Post #3

53 And it came to pass, that when Jesus had finished these parables, he departed thence.

54 And when he was come into his own country, he taught them in their synagogue, insomuch that they were astonished, and said, Whence hath this man this wisdom, and these mighty works?

55 Is not this the carpenter's son? is not his mother called Mary? and his brethren, James, and Joses, and Simon, and Judas?

56 And his sisters, are they not all with us? Whence then hath this man all these things? (Matthew 13:53-56)

i say Lord Jesus never read the old testament, i can't say here why
Lord Jesus knew the law without learning

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by Difflugia »

Elijah John wrote:It seems that Jesus was indeed educated. At least in the fundamentals of Judaism. Historical Jesus scholars often paint him as an illiterate peasant. I understand their reasoning, but I think they are mistaken here. I think they are overlooking Jesus own religious context of Judaism, a culture which even then valued learning, especially Torah education.
They're not overlooking the context of Judaism in first century Palestine, it just doesn't imply what you think it does. Current academic opinion is that about 3% of the Jewish population was literate (meaning that they could do more than sign their name).

Elijah John
Savant

Post #5

Post by Elijah John »

Difflugia wrote:
Elijah John wrote:It seems that Jesus was indeed educated. At least in the fundamentals of Judaism. Historical Jesus scholars often paint him as an illiterate peasant. I understand their reasoning, but I think they are mistaken here. I think they are overlooking Jesus own religious context of Judaism, a culture which even then valued learning, especially Torah education.
They're not overlooking the context of Judaism in first century Palestine, it just doesn't imply what you think it does. Current academic opinion is that about 3% of the Jewish population was literate (meaning that they could do more than sign their name).
I doubt that statistic. That means basically only the Rabbi's were literate. Is that your position?

Was Jesus reading the Isaiah scroll a fabrication?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Tcg
Savant

Post #6

Post by Tcg »

Elijah John wrote:
Difflugia wrote:
I doubt that statistic.
What facts support your doubt? I've done a bit of research on this topic and can find none that do. Perhaps you've found something I've overlooked.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #7

Post by brianbbs67 »

Just judging by what we are told, Yeshua knew Hebrew as he read and taught in it. Aramaeic was the local tongue, so he had to know that also. He had no trouble talking to Pilate, so that implies Latin. Greek was the business language of the empire and the gospels were written in Greek or Hebrew. In short, to survive in Israel well, one had to know Hebrew, Greek, Latin, and Aramaic.

Maybe these primitive peoples weren't so primitive as we think.

cristian_gavrilescu
Student

Post #8

brianbbs67 wrote: Just judging by what we are told, Yeshua knew Hebrew as he read and taught in it. Aramaeic was the local tongue, so he had to know that also. He had no trouble talking to Pilate, so that implies Latin. Greek was the business language of the empire and the gospels were written in Greek or Hebrew. In short, to survive in Israel well, one had to know Hebrew, Greek, Latin, and Aramaic.

Lord Jesus didn't learn anything, He simply knew

Tcg
Savant

Post #9

Post by Tcg »

brianbbs67 wrote: Just judging by what we are told, Yeshua knew Hebrew as he read and taught in it. Aramaeic was the local tongue, so he had to know that also.
If we accept what we are told, he could read Hebrew. He also likely could speak Aramaic. Speaking and reading are two different things.

He had no trouble talking to Pilate, so that implies Latin.
Not necessarily. It could be that Pilate spoke Aramaic.

Greek was the business language of the empire and the gospels were written in Greek or Hebrew.
Given that Jesus didn't write any of the gospels, the language they were written in is irrelevant.

In short, to survive in Israel well, one had to know Hebrew, Greek, Latin, and Aramaic.
One could survive well and speak only Aramaic.

Or perhaps we as modern people are imagining that these primitive people had access to written materials based on their availability today. In reality, they would have been extremely scarce in that day.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by Difflugia »

Elijah John wrote:I doubt that statistic. That means basically only the Rabbi's were literate.
Rabbis and wealthy men, yes. That was essentially the conclusion that the authors came to.
Elijah John wrote:Is that your position?
My position is that scholars qualified to have an opinion have concluded "less than 3%" and "far less than 10-15%." I know of no competing studies (I looked) and these are the two that other scholars reference. Since I haven't compiled any data myself, my position is that their conclusions are more likely to be right than either unsupported statements by apologists or my own guesses.
Elijah John wrote:Was Jesus reading the Isaiah scroll a fabrication?
Probably, but this is TD&D, so you could have relied on "the Bible says Jesus could read Hebrew." You didn't, though. You made a blanket statement that claims of Jesus' illiteracy by scholars were "overlooking Jesus own religious context of Judaism." It turns out that statement is wrong and the data suggest that Jesus had about one chance in thirty of being literate, even before factoring in clues about his socioeconomic status.