Thoughts on forum changes

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Thoughts on forum changes

Post #1

Post by otseng »

Here's a PM exchange I've had with Zzyzx that I want to share. I think many on the forum might also be interested...
otseng wrote:
Zzyzx wrote: Have you received indication that members and moderators dislike the new format? I am trying to withhold judgment, but am leaning negative after a week of use. It is not a matter of resistance to change (which typically troubles me very little).
No, nobody has complained to me yet, but I can understand the sentiment. I've spent years customizing the former forum to what I wanted and now I have to start all over. I don't think anyone is more frustrated and disappointed than me that we're losing a lot of the former functionality.

The problem is the forum software and the OS is obsolete. It's been running on the same software for over 16 years, which in itself is pretty amazing. But, now I'm not able to run the latest software. I was using an older version of PHP and the latest version of PHP doesn't support the old forum.

There's pretty much no choice but to upgrade. By the end of the year, the old OS (CentOS 6) won't be supported anyways. Over the next several years, I'll be modifying the forum, but it will take patience as I do this. And just when I get it to how I would like it, I'll probably have to start all over again.

otseng
Savant

Re: Thoughts on forum changes

Post #71

Post by otseng »

brunumb wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:53 pm That said, if it has to be there, is there some way to highlight the OP to differentiate it from the regular posts?
Done. OP is now highlighted.

brunumb
Savant

Post #72

Post by brunumb »

[Replying to otseng in post #72]

WOW! You are amazing. Thank you. :ok:
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

brunumb
Savant

Post #73

Post by brunumb »

Just another thought otseng.
It occurred to me that the buttons at the top right of a post (like, quote etc.) would be more convenient if they were located at the end of a post, bottom right. It seems more logical to me that if you wanted to "like" a post or reply or whatever, you would do that when you reached the end and it would be easier to do without having to scroll back up to the start.
Cheers :D
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

otseng
Savant

Post #74

Post by otseng »

brunumb wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:36 pm Just another thought otseng.
It occurred to me that the buttons at the top right of a post (like, quote etc.) would be more convenient if they were located at the end of a post, bottom right. It seems more logical to me that if you wanted to "like" a post or reply or whatever, you would do that when you reached the end and it would be easier to do without having to scroll back up to the start.
Makes sense. Since this will affect everyone, what do others think of this idea?

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Post #75

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to otseng in post #74]
Makes sense. Since this will affect everyone, what do others think of this idea?
Sounds good if it is easy to implement, especially for longer posts as brunumb points out.
In human affairs the sources of success are ever to be found in the fountains of quick resolve and swift stroke; and it seems to be a law, inflexible and inexorable, that he who will not risk cannot win.
John Paul Jones, 1779

The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.
Mark Twain

Miles
Savant

Post #76

Post by Miles »

otseng wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:25 am Makes sense. Since this will affect everyone, what do others think of this idea?
Fine with me, although I've never found it a bother to go to the top of a post.

otseng
Savant

Post #77

Post by otseng »

Done. Now I'll have to get used to the new location...

brunumb
Savant

Post #78

Post by brunumb »

[Replying to otseng in post #77]

Wow. Does that mean people were approving of the idea. I hope it doesn't muck things up.
Cheers otseng :approve:

brunumb
Savant

Post #79

Post by brunumb »

otseng wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:24 am
Done. Now I'll have to get used to the new location...
I'm not seeing any change otseng. :?

otseng
Savant

Post #80

Post by otseng »

brunumb wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:08 pm I'm not seeing any change otseng. :?
Can you do a Ctrl-Reload on the browser to reload the CSS file?