GOD has regrets? how can an omnipotent being regret something?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

shawnskin

Post #1

Post by shawnskin »

I get hung up right in genesis when after he creates us and we sin he regrets making us. (and all powerful being should not have regrets ) I believe there’s a God, Or more accurately something going on so far beyond our understanding that Other than a small glimpse our human minds are not capable of understanding it. our brains/egos would rather make something up and admit we don’t understand, come to believe that people Who think they know Gods will ,understand him ,and can speak for him ,are either delusional Or deceitful...I believe we have created God In our on image.and What is really going on iso much more amazing than we can ever imagine

William
Savant

Re: GOD has regrets? how can an omnipotent being regret something?

Post #61

Post by William »

[Replying to Miles in post #60]
Gotta wonder why an omniscient, all knowing, god would be disappointed in something he knew from the beginning of time we would do or would be.

If anything, I see a more logical response as "Ho-hum."
Indifference is no better or much different from disappointment and couldn't fit with the idea of an omniscient, all knowing, god as such an entity would know what it is like to be us and therefore would understand, rather than condemn or ignore.

Miles
Savant

Post #62

Post by Miles »

William wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:19 pm [Replying to Miles in post #60]
Gotta wonder why an omniscient, all knowing, god would be disappointed in something he knew from the beginning of time we would do or would be.

If anything, I see a more logical response as "Ho-hum."
Indifference is no better or much different from disappointment
Why are you ranking them on the "Good-Better-Best" scale?

Sure it is. Indifference indicates an "I don't care reaction," whereas disappointment indicates an "I care reaction." One that arouses displeasure caused by the nonfulfillment of one's hopes or expectations. Indifference doesn't arouse anything. So an omniscient god, knowing that (X) will happen, would have no hopes or expectations of something else happening. So when it came time for X to happen, and it does, why would anyone expect anything different from god than a "Ho-hum"?
and couldn't fit with the idea of an omniscient, all knowing, god as such an entity would know what it is like to be us and therefore would understand, rather than condemn or ignore.
Why wouldn't he ignore what is essentially a mundane, foreknown occurrence?

So the essence of god's repentance, regretting, and being sorry has to rest on the fact that he is not omniscient at all, which is illustrated by Biblical scripture itself.

Genesis 6:6
KJ21
And the Lord repented that He had made man on the earth, and it grieved Him in His heart.

AMPC
And the Lord regretted that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved at heart.

ERV
The Lord was sorry that he had made people on the earth. It made him very sad in his heart.

So the upshot of all this is that god is capable of making mistakes, and, in fact, has done so.

William
Savant

Post #63

Post by William »

Because to do so would be to provide philosophical evidence that the God was not all knowing.

So make up your mind. Is this God all knowing or is this God able to ignore what you call "the mundane"?

Please explain.

Why, what you think of as mundane, this God you imagine, would also think of as mundane.

[Are you in cahoots?]

Miles
Savant

Post #64

Post by Miles »

William wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:11 pm
Because to do so would be to provide philosophical evidence that the God was not all knowing.

So make up your mind. Is this God all knowing or is this God able to ignore what you call "the mundane"?

Please explain.

Why, what you think of as mundane, this God you imagine, would also think of as mundane.

[Are you in cahoots?]
My post was in answer to your post wherein you said: "A GOD can look down on us with disappointment or look through us with understanding"

To which I replied: "Gotta wonder why an omniscient, all knowing, god would be disappointed in something he knew from the beginning of time we would do or would be. If anything, I see a more logical response as "Ho-hum."

You then said (post 61) : "Indifference is no better or much different from disappointment and couldn't fit with the idea of an omniscient, all knowing, god as such an entity would know what it is like to be us and therefore would understand, rather than condemn or ignore."

Which I read as "Indifference is no better or not much different from disappointment . . . ."

Which I then set out to correct.

Still speaking of indifference, you continued with "and couldn't fit with the idea of an omniscient, all knowing, god as such an entity would know what it is like to be us and therefore would understand, rather than condemn or ignore."

I now ask you: Why would "knowing what it is like to be us and understand (what?)" have anything to do with his ignoring anything? You aren't making any sense. Why wouldn't indifference arise with an omniscient, all knowing god who knew in advance what was to happen?

Which is why I then said "Why wouldn't he ignore what is essentially a mundane, foreknown occurrence?"

To which you now say "Because to do so would be to provide philosophical evidence that the God was not all knowing."

WRONG. Only a god who was all knowing would find a foreknown occurrence, mundane, and worth ignoring.

Unfortunately for the believer, however, in pointing out that god does make mistakes the Bible clues us into the fact that god is not omniscient at all because he would have known in advance that his choice to do "whatever" was wrong.

Regrettably my sentence reading "So the essence of god's repentance, regretting, and being sorry has to rest on the fact that he is not omniscient at all, which is illustrated by Biblical scripture itself." should have begun with "However, the essence of god's repentance, . . . ." My Bad

What I was attempting to do was to point out was that I don't believe you have a good grasp on the characteristics of an omniscient god, but that it really doesn't matter because in several places the Bible tells you he makes mistakes. A very unomniscient thing to do.

William
Savant

Post #65

Post by William »

[Replying to Miles in post #64]

Miles: Why wouldn't an all knowing God ignore what is essentially a mundane, foreknown occurrence?"

William: "Because to do so would be to provide philosophical evidence that the God was not all knowing."

Miles: Only a god who was all knowing would find a foreknown occurrence, mundane, and worth ignoring.

William: Why, would what you think of as mundane, would this God you imagine, also think of as mundane?
Unfortunately for the believer, however, in pointing out that god does make mistakes the Bible clues us into the fact that god is not omniscient at all because he would have known in advance that his choice to do "whatever" was wrong.
Even if the God does make mistakes, this does not conclude that the God is not all-knowing. The God may know that it is only reported that way, from that which is not all knowing, but that no mistake happened at all, from the All Knowing point of view [AK-PoV.]

Thus, I travel with caution, especially when it comes to atheists trying to tell me what Theistic Narrations actually mean.
[Not calling you an atheist, just saying that it happens more often than not.
I lack belief in the God they are attempting to portray through their interpretation of the narrations.]

My own view on this idea of an AKGOD is that, being in the perpetual state of all knowing [absolutely everything] would be static - having knowhere to go.

If that were the case for me and I was also All Powerful, I would seriously contemplate how I could create a means of escaping my AK-Predicament...much the much as Isaac Asimov's short story - "The Final Question" goes..

Then I observe THIS Universe we call "reality" and therein see how such a being could have accomplished not knowing everything and I am satisfied it is evidence supporting an AKGOD creating this particular reality for the express purpose of finding a way to be completely ignorant of anything - the sheer thrill of starting off from scratch and moving through the ranks of knowledge only to find yourself somewhere in the mix and call yourself a "GOD"...

...stuff like that...

It makes perfect sense.

One can also look for signs that such a GOD is in hiding from the mostly completely ignorant, by examining their evidence.
The conclusions I draw [always open to discussion] is like unto a journey back to knowledge of oneself - hell of a ride at times - but well worth the tickets if you can afford them.
What I was attempting to do was to point out was that I don't believe you have a good grasp on the characteristics of an omniscient god, but that it really doesn't matter because in several places the Bible tells you he makes mistakes. A very unomniscient thing to do.
I get that. I get how a totally ignorant being would have to come through and work with that notion, re "The Question of GOD".

How to reconcile two seemingly opposing contradictions, is the stuff of mysticism. For therein, the Narration was begotten...and Theism was born into the world.

Another clue for me is YHWH's functionality and perseverance as one would expect that if there was a mind behind the existence of reality - as we experience reality - which had a use for the ignorant minds and wanted to bring them up to speed re the Overall Mind - the narrative fits rather well.

Allowing for the ignorant even wanting to be brought up to speed...leaving them be to work a nudge here and there with each interested personality on an individual level'
One works with what one has, even if one has to learn that, from a position of absolute ignorance - one such as we each at least can say we know intimately enough to recognize it.
We come from a dark place.

Honestly, I don't know what the fuss is all about. Fretting about "is there/isn't there" a GOD, never anchored a ship in any harbor for longer than it takes to refuel and get about the business of learning.

thomasdixon
Apprentice

Post #66

Post by thomasdixon »

To understand this, you must start from the beginning.
God chose them, told them how to live, but did not make them do anything.
(Deu 7:6 KJV) For thou art a holy people unto the LORD thy God: the LORD thy God hath chosen thee to be a special people unto himself, above all people that are upon the face of the earth.
(Deu 7:7 KJV) The LORD did not set his love upon you, nor choose you, because ye were more in number than any people; for ye were the fewest of all people:
(Deu 7:12 KJV) Wherefore it shall come to pass, if ye hearken to these judgments, and keep, and do them, that the LORD thy God shall keep unto thee the covenant and the mercy which he swore unto thy fathers:
(Deu 7:13 KJV) And he will love thee, and bless thee, and multiply thee: .,.,.,..,..,

God gave His chosen instructions on how to live their live, the term “stranger” is referenced 128 times in the Bible.

(Deu 24:19 KJV) When thou cuttest down thine harvest in thy field, and hast forgot a sheaf in the field, thou shalt not go again to fetch it: it shall be for the stranger, for the fatherless, and for the widow: that the LORD thy God may bless thee in all the work of thine hands.
(Jer 7:6 KJV) If ye oppress not the stranger, the fatherless, and the widow, and shed not innocent blood in this place, neither walk after other gods to your hurt:
(Jer 22:3 KJV) Thus saith the LORD; Execute ye judgment and righteousness, and deliver the spoiled out of the hand of the oppressor: and do no wrong, do no violence to the stranger, the fatherless, nor the widow, neither shed innocent blood in this place.

The most important thing God gave His chosen was the gift of choice. God said, do this for Me I shall keep unto thee the covenant and the mercy which he swore unto thy fathers:
But instead of keeping God’s commandments, God sees something else---

Regrets?
God does not “regret” what He created; God regrets what His chosen have done.
17 Son of man, when the house of Israel dwelt in their own land, they defiled it by their own way and by their doings: their way was before me as the uncleanness of a removed woman.
18 Wherefore I poured my fury upon them for the blood that they had shed upon the land, and for their idols wherewith they had polluted it:
19 And I scattered them among the heathen, and they were dispersed through the countries: according to their way and according to their doings I judged them.
(Jer 24:9 KJV) And I will deliver them to be removed into all the kingdoms of the earth for their hurt, to be a reproach and a proverb, a taunt and a curse, in all places whither I shall drive them.

Still, God is a merciful God, and He gives them a second chance.

24 For I will take you from among the heathen, and gather you out of all countries, and will bring you into your own land.
The above occurred in 1947ad

God regrets what His chosen have done and continue to do today.
Google “Irgun” and “Haganah
https://tinyurl.com/2j637ffj
December 13, 1947 -- February 10, 1948. Seven incidents of bomb-tossing at innocent Arab civilians in cafes and markets, killing 138 and wounding 271 others, During this period, there were 9 attacks on Arab buses. Zionists mined passenger trains on at least 4 occasions, killing 93 persons and wounding 161 others.
December 29, 1947. Two British constables and 11 Arabs were killed and 32 Arabs injured, at the Damascus Gate in Jerusalem when Irgun members threw a bomb from a taxi.
January 4, 1948. Haganah terrorists wearing British Army uniforms penetrated into the center of Jaffa and blew up the Serai (the old Turkish Government House) killing more than 40 persons and wounding 98 others.

God regrets what His chosen have done, not what God has done
https://tinyurl.com/mw2a6cpu

8-)

Miles
Savant

Post #67

Post by Miles »

thomasdixon wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:00 pm GOD has regrets? how can an omnipotent being regret something?
How about if he makes a mistake? He might honestly regret that couldn't he? In fact, he does just this in Genesis 6:6 where in the AMPC bible, and others, it says:

"And the Lord regretted that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved at heart."

Or, how about in 1 Samuel 15:35 where the CEB bible, and others, say

"Samuel never saw Saul again before he died, but he grieved over Saul. However, the Lord regretted making Saul king over Israel."

In fact, other Bibles depict god as repenting and being sorry for making Saul king over Israel.

KJ21
And Samuel came no more to see Saul until the day of his death. Nevertheless Samuel mourned for Saul; and the Lord repented that He had made Saul king over Israel.

CEV
Even though Samuel felt sad about Saul, Samuel never saw him again. The Lord was sorry he had made Saul the king of Israel.

And what's more telling of making a mistake than regretting, repenting, or being sorry for having done it?

So I ask you, what's to prevent an omnipotent (all powerful) being from doing just this? What, in being omnipotent, makes such a being mistak-proof (regret-proof), particularly when your Bibles indicate he is not?

Or maybe the Christian god isn't omnipotent at all!
...... Now there's a thought. :mrgreen:

thomasdixon
Apprentice

Post #68

Post by thomasdixon »

Miles wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:36 am In fact, other Bibles depict god as repenting and being sorry for making Saul king over Israel.
KJ21
And Samuel came no more to see Saul until the day of his death. Nevertheless Samuel mourned for Saul; and the Lord repented that He had made Saul king over Israel.

Yes, God regretted making Saul king over Israel.
Now He regrets the creation of the state of Israel.
But God has a solution to correct this mistake----

God’s words are written in the Holy Bible and the following is what He said-----
Thou shalt be for fuel to the fire; thy blood shall be in the midst of the land; thou shalt be no more remembered: for I the LORD have spoken it.
& so; it is being done in your lifetime;

According to a 2002 study by the Jewish Agency, "the number of Jews in the world is declining at an average of 50,000 per year."
https://tinyurl.com/y6ryw6hf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_population
Going, going, going--- gone

Going, going, gone
8-)

Miles
Savant

Post #69

Post by Miles »

thomasdixon wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:28 pm
Miles wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:36 am In fact, other Bibles depict god as repenting and being sorry for making Saul king over Israel.
KJ21
Yes, God regretted making Saul king over Israel.
Now He regrets the creation of the state of Israel.
But God has a solution to correct this mistake----
Nice I guess, but wholly irrelevant.

Just like everyone else, god, an omnipotent being we're told, can and does regret. :mrgreen:

thomasdixon
Apprentice

Post #70

Post by thomasdixon »

Miles wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:36 am How about if he makes a mistake? He might honestly regret that couldn't he?
Judging what God may or may not regret is beyond my pay grade.
I’ll leave this to you.
Wish you and yours a great day and beyond.
:)