GOD has regrets? how can an omnipotent being regret something?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

shawnskin

GOD has regrets? how can an omnipotent being regret something?

Post #1

Post by shawnskin »

I get hung up right in genesis when after he creates us and we sin he regrets making us. (and all powerful being should not have regrets ) I believe there’s a God, Or more accurately something going on so far beyond our understanding that Other than a small glimpse our human minds are not capable of understanding it. our brains/egos would rather make something up and admit we don’t understand, come to believe that people Who think they know Gods will ,understand him ,and can speak for him ,are either delusional Or deceitful...I believe we have created God In our on image.and What is really going on iso much more amazing than we can ever imagine

Miles
Savant

Re: GOD has regrets? how can an omnipotent being regret something?

Post #41

Post by Miles »

2timothy316 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:03 pm
Miles wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:07 am
2timothy316 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:26 pm
The Nice Centurion wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:10 pm "Perfect" is always subjective, never objective!
For a kid molester who rapes a kid it might be perfect sex, while the kid and his parents might think otherwise.

To believe in oblective perfection is foolish and leads nowhere if debated.
Almighty God sets what is perfect, not humans.
Prove it. Cite your chapter and verse.

“You must accordingly be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.”​—Matt. 5:48.
Perhaps I misunderstood. To make sure I understand you correctly, exactly what do you mean by "sets" in "Almighty God sets what is perfect, not humans"?

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #42

Post by 2timothy316 »

Miles wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:56 pm
The Nice Centurion wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:10 pm "Perfect" is always subjective, never objective!
For a kid molester who rapes a kid it might be perfect sex, while the kid and his parents might think otherwise.

“You must accordingly be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.”​—Matt. 5:48.
Perhaps I misunderstood. To make sure I understand you correctly, exactly what do you mean by "sets" in "Almighty God sets what is perfect, not humans"?

If a person wants to live a perfect life according to God, then that way of life is set by Jehovah God.

Miles
Savant

Post #43

Post by Miles »

2timothy316 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:09 pm

If a person wants to live a perfect life according to God, then that way of life is set by Jehovah God.
?? Not meaning to argue, but simply understand what you said.

Do you mean like set in stone: That is how a person will have to live, like he has no option to live any differently? If so, wouldn't this rob him of free will and the ability to ever sin again? Yet you say that just by wanting live a perfect life according to god, he will grant it? Truthfully, other than Jesus, I've never heard of anyone who can live a perfect life and is incapable of sinning. Am I wrong here?

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #44

Post by 2timothy316 »

Miles wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:19 pm

Do you mean like set in stone: That is how a person will have to live, like he has no option to live any differently? If so, wouldn't this rob him of free will and the ability to ever sin again? Yet you say that just by wanting live a perfect life according to god, he will grant it? Truthfully, other than Jesus, I've never heard of anyone who can live a perfect life and is incapable of sinning. Am I wrong here?

There is no other option in the way to live since it says 'must'.

However, in the Greek language the word perfect is not always used in the absolute since. The Weymouth New Testament translates Matt 5:48 "You however are to be complete in goodness, as your Heavenly Father is complete." This too is an accurate translation. The Hebrew and Greek Bible words translated “perfect” often mean “complete,” “mature,” or “faultless” according to standards set by an authority. In everyday speech, the word is generally used in a relative sense. The expression “perfect weather for swimming” is one example.

Even with this in mind Jehovah sets what is relatively perfect human behavior. Fortunately, this is not the perfect as in the absolute sense because that is impossible for humans to attain. Possibly ever able to attain.

Miles
Savant

Post #45

Post by Miles »

2timothy316 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:11 pm

However, in the Greek language the word perfect is not always used in the absolute since. The Weymouth New Testament translates Matt 5:48 "You however are to be complete in goodness, as your Heavenly Father is complete." This too is an accurate translation. The Hebrew and Greek Bible words translated “perfect” often mean “complete,” “mature,” or “faultless” according to standards set by an authority. In everyday speech, the word is generally used in a relative sense. The expression “perfect weather for swimming” is one example.
While "perfect" is the overwhelmingly preferred translation, there are other variations:

As you point out, The Weymouth New Testament translation says "You however are to be complete in goodness, as your Heavenly Father is complete."

Then there are also:

Common English Bible
Therefore, just as your heavenly Father is complete in showing love to everyone, so also you must be complete [in showing love . . . .].

Contemporary English Version
But you must always act like your Father in heaven.

The Message
“In a word, what I’m saying is, Grow up. You’re kingdom subjects. Now live like it. Live out your God-created identity. Live generously and graciously toward others, the way God lives toward you.”

Even with this in mind Jehovah sets what is relatively perfect human behavior. Fortunately, this is not the perfect as in the absolute sense because that is impossible for humans to attain. Possibly ever able to attain.
So, if the perfect is impossible for humans to attain why bother to even bring it up? Why say, "You, therefore, must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect" if the "must" is undoable and the "perfect unattainable"? Personally, this comes across as a rather stupid command. "I know you can't be a turtle, but you must be." Who would say such a mindless thing and be serous? Considering this is said to have come from god, could this simply be another one of his mistakes? Mistake number 9.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #46

Post by 2timothy316 »

Miles wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:05 pm
2timothy316 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:11 pm

While "perfect" is the overwhelmingly preferred translation, there are other variations:

As you point out, The Weymouth New Testament translation says "You however are to be complete in goodness, as your Heavenly Father is complete."

Then there are also:

Common English Bible
Therefore, just as your heavenly Father is complete in showing love to everyone, so also you must be complete [in showing love . . . .].

Contemporary English Version
But you must always act like your Father in heaven.

The Message
“In a word, what I’m saying is, Grow up. You’re kingdom subjects. Now live like it. Live out your God-created identity. Live generously and graciously toward others, the way God lives toward you.”

So, if the perfect is impossible for humans to attain why bother to even bring it up? Why say, "You, therefore, must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect" if the "must" is undoable and the "perfect unattainable"? Personally, this comes across as a rather stupid command. "I know you can't be a turtle, but you must be." Who would say such a mindless thing and be serous? Considering this is said to have come from god, could this simply be another one of his mistakes? Mistake number 9.

It's stupid in your opinion.

I have no problems in following that Matt 5:48 and I don't think it's stupid. I see it as completely attainable by everyone. However, I have studied the Bible daily for most of my life so I know what 'perfect' Jehovah is looking for. If a person doesn't know what perfect means in Matt 5:48 then they are using their own definition of 'perfect' and not God's. Of course, by the human definition perfect is not attainable, thus many will think Matt 5:48 stupid.

Miles
Savant

Post #47

Post by Miles »

2timothy316 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:26 pm

Could you or anyone else be a turtle if told to? That's why it's stupid. It's an undoable command.

I have no problems in following that Matt 5:48 and I don't think it's stupid. I see it as completely attainable by everyone.
Fine. Ever hear of anyone, other than Jesus perhaps, achieving perfection like that of god? If you have, name names and show your evidence. I await.

However, I have studied the Bible daily for most of my life so I know what 'perfect' Jehovah is looking for. If a person doesn't know what perfect means in Matt 5:48 then they are using their own definition of 'perfect' and not God's. Of course, by the human definition perfect is not attainable, thus many will think Matt 5:48 stupid.
Ah ha, moving the goal posts, are we. Now it happens to be God's definition. So, just what is god's definition, where did you get it, AND how do you know it applies to Matthew 5:48?

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #48

Post by 2timothy316 »

Miles wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:55 am

Could you or anyone else be a turtle if told to? That's why it's stupid. It's an undoable command.

I have no problems in following that Matt 5:48 and I don't think it's stupid. I see it as completely attainable by everyone.
Fine. Ever hear of anyone, other than Jesus perhaps, achieving perfection like that of god? If you have, name names and show your evidence. I await.

However, I have studied the Bible daily for most of my life so I know what 'perfect' Jehovah is looking for. If a person doesn't know what perfect means in Matt 5:48 then they are using their own definition of 'perfect' and not God's. Of course, by the human definition perfect is not attainable, thus many will think Matt 5:48 stupid.
Ah ha, moving the goal posts, are we. Now it happens to be God's definition. So, just what is god's definition, where did you get it, AND how do you know it applies to Matthew 5:48?

If you want answers to your questions then don't look for them on a debate site. There is no way to give you an answer in one or even many posts on a message board. It has taken me and millions others years of Bible study to fine tune what perfection Jehovah is looking for. But it's still attainable. And no I'm not moving the goal posts. Many have been told by the world where the 'goal posts' were but they were never there and you thought I was putting them in the same spot but I never did, you assumed I was talking about the perfect as defined by the rest of the world but I wasn't.

Miles
Savant

Post #49

Post by Miles »

2timothy316 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:28 pm
Miles wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:55 am

If you want answers to your questions then don't look for them on a debate site.
Then why do you do just that? Here are SOME of your questions going back to the first of June.

You only quote the Bible when it suites you. When it doesn't, you reject it. Why do you get to pick what scriptures are good and which ones are bad?

Oldbager, I hope you are seeing what is happening here. Do you see the push back when a person uses the Bible?

Do you see how they are trying to justify not following it?

Do you see how things start so that a person can push their own agenda their own lists as to what a Christian is?

So as far as I know everything that has ever been said to mankind is contained in the Bible. Scripture alone would refute that, would it not?

Just in the book of Revelation, wasn't John told some things that he was not permitted to write down?

So as far as I know everything that has ever been said to mankind is contained in the Bible. Scripture alone would refute that, would it not?

Just in the book of Revelation, wasn't John told some things that he was not permitted to write down?

Peace again. Are you asking me?

Is every word which comes from YHWH's 'mouth' contained in scripture?

If a Christian is supposed to be a follower of Christ and there is no Record of Christ denying the Bible but actually living by it's principles and even quoting from it to teach, then yes. But Jesus often quoted from the Jewish bible and lived by its principles...yes?

Surely that made him a Jew?

So in that, are you suggesting that "who is a Christian" is "Who is following all of the holy scriptures"?

So according to the dictionary, a religion can be just one person. Can it?

Would you agree that a Christian would be a person that tries to follow Christ?

Isn't the Bible the only place we know of the details on what to follow?

So shouldn't the One that gave the name also shape the critreria for who is truly Christian?

There is no way to give you an answer in one or even many posts on a message board.
Yet you have no problem asking for answers in many of the posts you make. Why is that? Are you privileged or something around here?

It has taken me and millions others years of Bible study to fine tune what perfection Jehovah is looking for. But it's still attainable.
You said "I know what 'perfect' Jehovah is looking for" Fine. Then what is it? What is god's definition of "perfect"? Where did you get it, AND how do you know it applies to Matthew 5:48?

And no I'm not moving the goal posts.
Well, you just did, and everyone who's read you knows it.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #50

Post by 2timothy316 »

[Replying to Miles in post #49]

You're all over the place with this post. Pick one thing on topic with the thread subject in mind. You're ranting and it seems you're off the rails. All of this seems to be coming from a place of ignorance. Not to be insulting just stating a fact. I wish I could put all I know into your head in one sentence. It doesn't work that way. So you will never get your answers so long as you think it can be answered with a post from this site. I promise you, it's impossible. You must commit time to Bible study and want to build a relationship with God. I do not see these things from you, thus the answers you seek will always elude you, and yes I'm speaking from experience. Which experience is something I can't teach even if I gave you every scripture that would answer your questions, you'd give up in the first few sentences and say 'it's too much to read'.