GOD has regrets? how can an omnipotent being regret something?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

shawnskin

GOD has regrets? how can an omnipotent being regret something?

Post #1

Post by shawnskin »

I get hung up right in genesis when after he creates us and we sin he regrets making us. (and all powerful being should not have regrets ) I believe there’s a God, Or more accurately something going on so far beyond our understanding that Other than a small glimpse our human minds are not capable of understanding it. our brains/egos would rather make something up and admit we don’t understand, come to believe that people Who think they know Gods will ,understand him ,and can speak for him ,are either delusional Or deceitful...I believe we have created God In our on image.and What is really going on iso much more amazing than we can ever imagine

Miles
Savant

Re: GOD has regrets? how can an omnipotent being regret something?

Post #51

Post by Miles »

2timothy316 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:48 pm [Replying to Miles in post #49]

You're all over the place with this post. Pick one thing on topic with the thread subject in mind.
Simply replying to each of your statements. So, if anyone is setting up different topics it would be you. Now, if you don't like your remarks challenged on a debate forum I suggest you say nothing, because everything you say is up for question, or didn't you know how informal debate forums work? In any case, as long as you can't deal with more then one question at a time, I'll pare it down to the one you initially brought up: God's definition of perfect, which you brought to mind when you claimed "I know what 'perfect' Jehovah is looking for." So, although my question is a three-parter, they do tie together.

Here goes. One (1) topic, (3) three questions:

1. What is god's definition of "perfect"? (You already claim to know this one so it should be a breeze to answer.)

2. Where did you get it (Chapter and verse). (Probably have to look this one up, but that's OK.)

3. How do you know it applies to Matthew 5:48? (Which I suspect may be too tough)

You're ranting and it seems you're off the rails. All of this seems to be coming from a place of ignorance. Not to be insulting just stating a fact.
Now this is insulting. I suggest you check your posting manners.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #52

Post by 2timothy316 »

Miles wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:43 am

You're all over the place with this post. Pick one thing on topic with the thread subject in mind.
Simply replying to each of your statements. So, if anyone is setting up different topics it would be you. Now, if you don't like your remarks challenged on a debate forum I suggest you say nothing, because everything you say is up for question, or didn't you know how informal debate forums work? In any case, as long as you can't deal with more then one question at a time, I'll pare it down to the one you initially brought up: God's definition of perfect, which you brought to mind when you claimed "I know what 'perfect' Jehovah is looking for." So, although my question is a three-parter, they do tie together.

1. What is god's definition of "perfect"? (You already claim to know this one so it should be a breeze to answer.)

2. Where did you get it (Chapter and verse). (Probably have to look this one up, but that's OK.)

3. How do you know it applies to Matthew 5:48? (Which I suspect may be too tough)

You're ranting and it seems you're off the rails. All of this seems to be coming from a place of ignorance. Not to be insulting just stating a fact.

All of your questions are like someone asking how to build a jumbo jet in a few posts on a message board. Impossible! You're missing basic Bible training on which to give you the answers you seek. I'd have to quote almost the entire Bible to tell you want perfection in God's view is. If you find ignorance insulting then get to work on fixing it and stop looking for answers on a message board where you will never be satisfied with any answer you get. I person must know what God's name is, what is mankind's purpose on the Earth and why is the world in the condition it is in today with absolute certainty. Otherwise, I can never answer a question that must be build on the answers to those questions. It would be like trying to build a house in mid-air. Impossible.

Miles
Savant

Post #53

Post by Miles »

2timothy316 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:37 pm

All of your questions are like someone asking how to build a jumbo jet in a few posts on a message board. Impossible! You're missing basic Bible training on which to give you the answers you seek. I'd have to quote almost the entire Bible to tell you want perfection in God's view is. If you find ignorance insulting then get to work on fixing it and stop looking for answers on a message board where you will never be satisfied with any answer you get. I person must know what God's name is, what is mankind's purpose on the Earth and why is the world in the condition it is in today with absolute certainty. Otherwise, I can never answer a question that must be build on the answers to those questions. It would be like trying to build a house in mid-air. Impossible.
Sorry to see you sprint away from a few simple questions. I'll keep this inability to defend yourself in mind when coming across your posts in the future.

Have a good day.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #54

Post by 2timothy316 »

Miles wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:15 am
2timothy316 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:37 pm

Sorry to see you sprint away from a few simple questions. I'll keep this inability to defend yourself in mind when coming across your posts in the future.

Have a good day.

Whatever you need to tell yourself.
Have a good day too.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #55

Post by onewithhim »

Miles wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:34 pm
2timothy316 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:43 pm
Miles wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:51 pm
2timothy316 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:25 pm
Miles wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:20 pm
So you're saying that when god "breathed out"* 1 Samuel 15:35 he made a mistake when he said ". . . the Lord regretted making Saul king over Israel"? That god didn't regret making Saul king over Israel at all?
Read my reply carefully. I didn't say he didn't have regret.
You're quite right. My apologies for not reading more carefully. But the issue isn't when god had regrets, but that he had any regrets at all. And the answer is, yes he did. He regretted/repented/was (very) sorry/was (very) sad/grieved* that he made Saul king over Israel.
I'm not disputing His regret. I'm disputing that you think He made a mistake when He when he didn't. He was sad and grieved but not repentant.
You have lumped regret and repent together and that is not always the case I have given you numerous examples.
Aside from the fact that 16 bibles (27% of those I checked) use the word "repented" in 1 Samuel 15:35, the word in 1 Samuel 15:35 that's variously translated as "regretted," "repented," "was (very) sorry," "was (very) sad," and "grieved".. is נָחַם (nāḥam), which Strong's Concordance catalogs as H5162 and has as its primary definition:

"I.. to be sorry, console oneself, repent, regret, . . . ."

and under further uses A-ii and D-ii lists: to be sorry, rue, suffer grief, repent, and "to rue, repent of," respectively. So no more about the original word not being able to mean "repented." It doesn't wash.

The Bible is using the word regret as a noun.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/regret
Definition of regret (Entry 2 of 2)
1 : sorrow aroused by circumstances beyond one's control or power to repair
2a : an expression of distressing emotion (such as sorrow)
NO! Bibles interpreting Strong's H5162 in 1 Samuel 15:35 use "regretted," a VERB, NOT "regret,"the noun.

What it all comes down to is that....................GOD MADE A MISTAKE................Just as he did in Genesis 6:6 "And the Lord regretted that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved at heart."

I don't think that God ever makes mistakes. He just felt bad over how things turned out after he made humans, and after he anointed Saul to be King over Israel. That is all "regret" means in these instances.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #56

Post by 2timothy316 »

onewithhim wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:41 am
Miles wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:34 pm
2timothy316 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:43 pm
Miles wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:51 pm
2timothy316 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:25 pm
Miles wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:20 pm
So you're saying that when god "breathed out"* 1 Samuel 15:35 he made a mistake when he said ". . . the Lord regretted making Saul king over Israel"? That god didn't regret making Saul king over Israel at all?
Read my reply carefully. I didn't say he didn't have regret.
You're quite right. My apologies for not reading more carefully. But the issue isn't when god had regrets, but that he had any regrets at all. And the answer is, yes he did. He regretted/repented/was (very) sorry/was (very) sad/grieved* that he made Saul king over Israel.
I'm not disputing His regret. I'm disputing that you think He made a mistake when He when he didn't. He was sad and grieved but not repentant.
You have lumped regret and repent together and that is not always the case I have given you numerous examples.
Aside from the fact that 16 bibles (27% of those I checked) use the word "repented" in 1 Samuel 15:35, the word in 1 Samuel 15:35 that's variously translated as "regretted," "repented," "was (very) sorry," "was (very) sad," and "grieved".. is נָחַם (nāḥam), which Strong's Concordance catalogs as H5162 and has as its primary definition:

"I.. to be sorry, console oneself, repent, regret, . . . ."

and under further uses A-ii and D-ii lists: to be sorry, rue, suffer grief, repent, and "to rue, repent of," respectively. So no more about the original word not being able to mean "repented." It doesn't wash.

The Bible is using the word regret as a noun.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/regret
Definition of regret (Entry 2 of 2)
1 : sorrow aroused by circumstances beyond one's control or power to repair
2a : an expression of distressing emotion (such as sorrow)
NO! Bibles interpreting Strong's H5162 in 1 Samuel 15:35 use "regretted," a VERB, NOT "regret,"the noun.

What it all comes down to is that....................GOD MADE A MISTAKE................Just as he did in Genesis 6:6 "And the Lord regretted that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved at heart."

I don't think that God ever makes mistakes. He just felt bad over how things turned out after he made humans, and after he anointed Saul to be King over Israel. That is all "regret" means in these instances.
God doesn't make mistakes.

The word 'regret' is the proper translation. People that simply put in the definition that they want to hear is not how translation works for any language. People can put 'console oneself' or 'sorry'. But they are not translating based on what is correct but what suits them. In short they are biased and their opinions can't be trusted.

Language definition in many languages is based on context. Understanding English works on context. Which why when you read the sentence before this you thought of the language of English and not a person from England. Translation is trickier and one certainly can't be biased when picking out a word finding a definition that suits them. The number of times a particular word is used verses another doesn't change the meaning. Even using using the word repent doesn't mean one made a mistake. The literal meaning for repent in Hebrew is the 'change one's mind'. This STILL doesn't make God responsible for what mankind has done to itself.

Let's pretend that I have a child that kills 50 people in a mass shooting. I certainly might think I wished I had changed my mind years ago about having children. But the act is not my fault. Though I would feel immeasurable hurt, I have nothing to apologize for.

People that blame God for the way mankind ended are probably the same type of people that blame everyone else for their problems except for themselves. Finger pointers to everyone else, except when a person points, 3 fingers point back to to themselves.

thomasdixon
Apprentice

Post #57

Post by thomasdixon »

WHY THEY WERE CHOSEN
(Deu 7:6 KJV) For thou art a holy people unto the LORD thy God: the LORD thy God hath chosen thee to be a special people unto himself, above all people that are upon the face of the earth.
(Deu 7:7 KJV) The LORD did not set his love upon you, nor choose you, because ye were more in number than any people; for ye were the fewest of all people:
(Deu 7:8 KJV) But because the LORD loved you, and because he would keep the oath which he had sworn unto your fathers, hath the LORD brought you out with a mighty hand, and redeemed you out of the house of bondmen, from the hand of Pharaoh King of Egypt.
(Deu 7:12 KJV) Wherefore it shall come to pass, if ye hearken to these judgments, and keep, and do them, that the LORD thy God shall keep unto thee the covenant and the mercy which he swore unto thy fathers:
(Deu 7:13 KJV) And he will love thee, and bless thee, and multiply thee: he will also bless the fruit of thy womb, and the fruit of thy land, thy corn, and thy wine, and thine oil, the increase of thy kin, and the flocks of thy sheep, in the land which he sware unto thy fathers to give thee.
God tells His chosen how to treat others so they could be a good example to follow
(Lev 19:34 KJV) But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God
They were chosen to show us the way, to show us how to treat the stranger, how to be compassionate and loving to your neighbor and by doing so peace would envelope the world.
(Mal 3:5 KJV) And I will come near to you to judgment; and I will be a swift witness against the sorcerers, and against the adulterers, and against false swearers, and against those that oppress the hireling in his wages, the widow, and the fatherless, and that turn aside the stranger from his right, and fear not me, saith the LORD of hosts.
(Deu 1:16 KJV) And I charged your judges at that time, saying, Hear the causes between your brethren, and judge righteously between every man and his brother, and the stranger that is with him.
(Deu 24:19 KJV) When thou cuttest down thine harvest in thy field, and hast forgot a sheaf in the field, thou shalt not go again to fetch it: it shall be for the stranger, for the fatherless, and for the widow: that the LORD thy God may bless thee in all the work of thine hands.
(Deu 24:20 KJV) When thou beatest thine olive tree, thou shalt not go over the boughs again: it shall be for the stranger, for the fatherless, and for the widow.
(Deu 24:21 KJV) When thou gatherest the grapes of thy vineyard, thou shalt not glean it afterward: it shall be for the stranger, for the fatherless, and for the widow
(Ezek 22:7 KJV) In thee have they set light by father and mother: in the midst of thee have they dealt by oppression with the stranger: in thee have they vexed the fatherless and the widow.
(Exo 22:21 KJV) Thou shalt neither vex a stranger, nor oppress him: for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt.
(Exo 23:9 KJV) Also thou shalt not oppress a stranger: for ye know the heart of a stranger, seeing ye were strangers in the land of Egypt.
(Lev 19:34 KJV) But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
(Lev 25:35 KJV) And if thy brother be waxen poor, and fallen in decay with thee; then thou shalt relieve him: yea, though he be a stranger, or a sojourner; that he may live with thee.
But God sees something bad instead---
(Ezek 36:17 KJV) Son of man, when the house of Israel dwelt in their own land, they defiled it by their ..own way and by their doings: their way was before me as the uncleanness of a removed woman.
Today, in 2022ad they do the same

(Ezek 36:18 KJV) Wherefore I poured my fury upon them for the blood that they had shed upon the land, and for their idols wherewith they had polluted it.
(Ezek 36:22 KJV) Therefore say unto the house of Israel, Thus saith the Lord GOD; I do not this for your sakes, O house of Israel, but for mine holy name's sake, which ye have profaned among the heathen, whither ye went.
(Ezek 36:24 KJV) For I will take you from among the heathen, and gather you out of all countries, and will bring you into your own land.
The chosen were gathered in 1947ad
(Ezek 36:31 KJV) Then shall ye remember your own evil ways, and your doings that were not good, and shall loathe yourselves in your own sight for your iniquities and for your abominations.
(Ezek 36:32 KJV) Not for your sakes do I this, saith the Lord GOD, be it known unto you: be ashamed and confounded for your own ways, O house of Israel.
(Ezekiel 21:32 (ASV) Thou shalt be for fuel to the fire; thy blood shall be in the midst of the land; thou shalt be no more remembered: for I, Jehovah, have spoken it.
..According to a 2002 study by the Jewish Agency, "the number of Jews in the world is declining at an average of 50,000 per year."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_population
You reap what you sow
Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows.
The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life

https://tinyurl.com/5hb67ey2
The below link is not for children to see
https://tinyurl.com/3745he6p

(:-

Revelations won
Sage

Post #58

Post by Revelations won »

Dear Shawnskin,

I your OP I believe you were referring to Genesis 6:6. From what is stated in this verse I can understand your concerns.

Perhaps this confusion arises from a translation error.

In another Bible translation in Genesis 8:13 this problem is cleared up. "And it repented Noah, and his heart was pained, that the Lord had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart."

Herein we see that it was not the Lord, but Noah that repented that God had made man on the earth.

Kind regards,
RW

William
Savant

Post #59

Post by William »

Miles
Savant

Post #60

Post by Miles »

William wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:45 pm Image

Gotta wonder why an omniscient, all knowing, god would be disappointed in something he knew from the beginning of time we would do or would be.

If anything, I see a more logical response as "Ho-hum."