What is ' consciousness ' ?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Thomas123
Sage

What is ' consciousness ' ?

Post #1

Post by Thomas123 »

This word appears to be at the centre of many discussions on this forum. It also appears to mean different things to different people and, therein lies the root of our miscommunication. What range and definement do you attribute to, ' consciousness ' ?

Is there an external consciousness in the world?. Can I tune into a shared consciousness. I am listening to Prime Minister's Question Time, ....is Boris tuned into a universal human consciousness as he delivers his address. Is his brain working ,simultaneously and in tandem with my own consciousness and with that of others?

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Re: What is ' consciousness ' ?

Post #251

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Inquirer wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:02 pm So tools have no social costs? they only have social benefits, is that what you are claiming?
When you're willing to offer me the courtesy of answering the questions I put to you, I'll be happy to answer the ones you put to me.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #252

Post by Inquirer »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:04 pm
Inquirer wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:02 pm So tools have no social costs? they only have social benefits, is that what you are claiming?
When you're willing to offer me the courtesy of answering the questions I put to you, I'll be happy to answer the ones you put to me.
Courtesy has become a scarce thing recently.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #253

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Inquirer wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:48 am
Funny thing about courtesy - the more ya give it, the more yet get.

I find it quite interesting though that among some theists, there's questions they absolutely refuse to answer. In debate. Ya'd think proponents of Truth(tm) would be happy to tell it.
-Punkinhead Martin

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #254

Post by Inquirer »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:08 pm
Inquirer wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:48 am
Funny thing about courtesy - the more ya give it, the more yet get.

I find it quite interesting though that among some theists, there's questions they absolutely refuse to answer. In debate. Ya'd think proponents of Truth(tm) would be happy to tell it.
That reminds me, what do you mean by "Truth"? you never did extend me the courtesy of answering that one did ya...

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #255

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Inquirer wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:23 pm That reminds me, what do you mean by "Truth"? you never did extend me the courtesy of answering that one did ya...
For them unaware...

In another thread Inquirer asked another member if they thought biblical claims regarding the resurrection of Jesus were a myth.

So I asked Inquirer if he thought those claims were truth.

When told by Inquirer there were different kinds of truth, and asked which kind I was asking about, I, not knowing which kind of truth Inqurer might apply to his answer, left that decision up to him.

So let's see where courtesy sits....

Inquirer..

Do you believe biblical tales regarding the resurrection of Jesus are truth?
-Punkinhead Martin

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #256

Post by Inquirer »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:44 pm
Inquirer wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:23 pm That reminds me, what do you mean by "Truth"? you never did extend me the courtesy of answering that one did ya...
For them unaware...

In another thread Inquirer asked another member if they thought biblical claims regarding the resurrection of Jesus were a myth.

When told by Inquirer there were different kinds of truth, and asked which kind I was asking about, I, not knowing which kind of truth Inqurer might apply to his answer, left that decision up to him.

Inquirer..

Depends on what one means by truth, there ya go, that's the answer you keep claiming I haven't given to you.

Other examples:

"Is you car fast? That depends on what you mean by fast"

"Is a thousand bucks lots of money? That depends on what you mean by lots"

"Is this a debate? depends on how patient you are"

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #257

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Inquirer wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:51 pm
For them unaware...

Inquirer..

Depends on what one means by truth, there ya go, that's the answer you keep claiming I haven't given to you.

Other examples:

lol

Still just can't muster it up.

Notice, I have no way of knowing what kind of truth to expect here. Well except for the lacking kind.
-Punkinhead Martin

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #258

Post by Inquirer »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:14 pm
Inquirer wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:51 pm
For them unaware...

Inquirer..

Other examples:

lol

Still just can't muster it up.

Notice, I have no way of knowing what kind of truth to expect here. Well except for the lacking kind.
I'm going to conclude at this point, that you are not sufficiently interested in the questions that arise from a study of the New Testament, to make an effort to explain what you seek. If you were truly interested I'd expect you to readily explain what you mean by "truth" so we could proceed with the discussion. You clearly do not want to tell me, so I suspect you fear this is a question intended to trap you, which is a shame because this is not my intention at all.

Perhaps we'll come back to this at a future time, when you're ready to move forward with this subject.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #259

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Inquirer wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:46 pm If you were truly interested I'd expect you to readily explain what you mean by "truth" so we could proceed with the discussion.
Implies I'm being disingenuous for having me the temerity to ask a question.

REPEATEDLY!
You clearly do not want to tell me, so I suspect you fear this is a question intended to trap you, which is a shame because this is not my intention at all.
I have no means of knowing what form of 'truth' might be in an answer you refuse to provide.
Perhaps we'll come back to this at a future time, when you're ready to move forward with this subject.
It'll hafta be in the future, cause all you can do is present excuses (and accusations) on how come it is, you can't answer now.

But I do preciate you offering the obser er ample opportunity to see promoters of Truth(tm) are so often reticent to examine that Truth(tm).
-Punkinhead Martin

Diogenes
Guru

Post #260

Post by Diogenes »

Inquirer wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:51 pm Depends on what one means by truth, there ya go, that's the answer you keep claiming I haven't given to you.
Why is that such a difficult question for you. Truth is when words correspond to reality. Examples of non truth:
Dead people reanimating and floating up to a mythical place that has been proved wrong by photos of the Earth from the moon.

Before You Embark On A Journey Of Revenge, Dig Two Graves

— Confucius