Are there three types of commandments?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Simon's Legacy
Student

Are there three types of commandments?

Post #1

Post by Simon's Legacy »

This has probably been discussed before. As a noob I don't know how much. I apologize if it has been over-hashed.
What is your basis for sorting out the various commandments or practices that seem to be conveyed in Scripture. Allowing for a fair measure of grey, don't they seem to fall into three categores:

1) Those we find to be just--don't murder, don't steal, treat rich and poor equally, love your neighbor. And sort of in the same category, those we find to be altruistic--turn the other cheek, the example of the good samaritan, the example of the prodigal son's father.

2) Those we find to be matters of practice without specific material or ethical impact (though there can certainly be related outcomes)--not worshiping idols, bringing sacrifices to the temple, keeping the Sabbath, or Passover or Christmas, or washing feet, or the sacraments, or making the sign of the cross, or bowing to Mecca

3) Those we find to be unjust--beating a child for discipline, obeying a king, selling a daughter, keeping a slave, slaughtering a race of people.

Wouldn't it be helpful to keep these three concepts in mind when looking for guidance in the scripture? Isn't it self-defeating if we try to force everything the scripture teaches into just one of these categories?
If then God gave them the same gift that he gave us when we believed in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I that I could hinder God? Acts 11:17