Jews role in Gods eyes?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Angry McFurious
Student

Jews role in Gods eyes?

Post #1

Post by Angry McFurious »

Ok I am starting by saying I am jewish but DO NOT WORRY ABOUT OFFENDING ME!!! I'm fine it's your belief!! The Tanakh (Your Old Testament) claims many times the Jews (sons of Abraham the father of the nation) are blessed by God and are his chosen children.

The New Testament came out and threw in some new rules. SO my question is are the Jews, these chosen few of God, still going to heaven in your Belief?
:dance: ~Jews Rock~ :dance:

seekinghokmah
Student

Post #2

Post by seekinghokmah »

Most Christians would probably say yes...if you accept Jesus, my personal opinion however....we're both waiting for the messiah, so when he gets here we can ask him, "is this your first trip or your second?"
I actually have a hard time with this issue, I'm a Christian...not Jewish, but I have greater respect for many Jewish rabbis and teachers than a lot of Christians. I listen to lectures on aish audio regularly. I am frustrated by most Christian scholars, it's like there are certain questions they are afraid to ask...so I find more reasonable answers in concepts from Kabalah. Go figure. Are you laughing at me yet? lol.
Good questions, when answered, always lead to better ones.

otseng
Savant

Post #3

Post by otseng »

In the Old Testament (Tanakh), the method of forgiveness of men's sins was through the animal sacrifices. Since they don't do sacrifices anymore, how can it be expected for God to forgive sins? And if sins aren't forgiven, how can it be expected they can go to heaven?

Angry McFurious
Student

Post #4

otseng wrote:In the Old Testament (Tanakh), the method of forgiveness of men's sins was through the animal sacrifices. Since they don't do sacrifices anymore, how can it be expected for God to forgive sins? And if sins aren't forgiven, how can it be expected they can go to heaven?
So your saying if I build an alter to God and kill a lamb on it... I'm good to go? lol

otseng
Savant

Post #5

Post by otseng »

Angry McFurious wrote: So your saying if I build an alter to God and kill a lamb on it... I'm good to go? lol
Only if you are a priest. ;)

Angry McFurious
Student

Post #6

*looks up at osteng b4 he kills the lamb*

You mean I gotta become a priest first?!?! lol

I'm just saying. Why would God make the Jews his chosen people and then send them to hell later in life? Doesn't make sense.

Saskia
Student

Post #7

Post by Saskia »

I don't think that system holds anymore. Before the Messiah came, the was a... substitute? A foreshadowing? Maybe. In any case, the Bible quite clearly says that "all who believe in the name of Christ Jesus will not be condemned, but he who does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only soon."

Anyway as for the role of the Jews...one thing that comes to mind is this passage out of Romans, chapter nine verses 4-5:
"Theirs is the adoption as sons, their the divine glory, the covenants, the receiving of the law, the temple worship and the promises. Theirs are the patriarchs, and from them is traced the human ancestry of Christ, who is God over all, forever praised. Amen!"
The Jews were God's chosen people to be the bearers of the law and of the whole history of God's story played out on earth, culminating in the Messiah who would come from that people. Also, they were the first to receive the gospel - "first the Jews, then the gentiles"
Also, in Romans 11:11 says "Again I ask: Did they stumble and fall beyond recovery? Not at all! Rather, because of their transgression, salvation has come to the Gentiles to make Israel envious."
So (and this is my understanding after having read the other chapters around it, which I advise you to do if you want to have a hope of getting it because I still don't completely) somehow, the Jews have a part to play in the salvation of the gentiles. Which is kind of trippy. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here...

Angry McFurious
Student

Post #8

No i do beleive you are correct that the jews are apart of the salvation of the gentiles. If anyone can further information on that please post it.

seekinghokmah
Student

Post #9

Post by seekinghokmah »

Doesn't it also say that the Jews are blinded for a time, until the fulness of the gentiles is come in?
Yo Angry...how many fingers am I holdin up?
Good questions, when answered, always lead to better ones.

Angry McFurious
Student

Post #10

Who said that?! *feels around in the dark*