Proud to be proud of my pride

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Cmass
Guru

Proud to be proud of my pride

Post #1

Post by Cmass »

This came to me today as I saw various bumper stickers and signs along the road:

Is pride a good thing or a bad thing? Is good or bad pride conditional on what it is you are proud of or is pride always OK or not OK? If it is conditional, then who decides the condition? You? God? Society?
Is it even possible to be proud of something you have no control over?
Please think about these statements:
"I'm proud of my left foot"
"I'm proud of my country"
"I'm proud of my child"
"I'm proud of my skin color"
"I'm proud of my religion"
"I'm proud of my aunt Betty for her fight against cancer"
"I'm proud of my president"
"I'm proud of our troops"
"I'm proud of my business"
"I'm proud of Jesus"
"I'm proud of my efforts"
"I'm proud of your efforts"
"I'm proud of my accomplishments"
"I'm proud of my leadership skills"
"I'm proud of my wife/husband/partner/lover"
"I'm proud to be gay"
"I'm proud to be hetero-sexual"
"I'm proud to monogamous"
"I'm proud to be polyamorous"
"I'm proud of the thread I just posted"
"I'm proud of the answer I just gave to this nutcase's thread"

Please comment on this from a biblical as well as personal perspective. As many may know, I really don't like endless strings of quotes from scripture unless it is in support of your own thinking.

Confused
Site Supporter

Re: Proud to be proud of my pride

Post #2

Post by Confused »

Cmass wrote:This came to me today as I saw various bumper stickers and signs along the road:

Is pride a good thing or a bad thing? Is good or bad pride conditional on what it is you are proud of or is pride always OK or not OK? If it is conditional, then who decides the condition? You? God? Society?
"I'm proud of my child"
"I'm proud of Jesus"
"I'm proud to be gay"

Please comment on this from a biblical as well as personal perspective. As many may know, I really don't like endless strings of quotes from scripture unless it is in support of your own thinking.
Nowhere in the OT 10 commandments is pride mentioned as a sin. The NT vaguely says that pride is a sin only if one considers himself greater than god or christ. So I guess pride isn't so much a bad thing. I wonder where the old saying "pride goeth before the fall" came from. Now personally, I think pride can be a good thing, so long as you keep it in context. If you are so full of pride that you start to think that you have nothing left to learn, then you your pride turns to ignorance. That's why we have peers. To remind us of when we are being ignorant.
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by bernee51 »

Cmass wrote:This came to me today as I saw various bumper stickers and signs along the road:

"I'm proud of my child"
"I'm proud of Jesus"
"I'm proud to be gay"

Pride is attachment - and attachment is (ultimately) the cause of suffering.
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

William James quoting Dr. Hodgson

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj

AB

Post #4

Post by AB »

"I'm proud of my child"
"I'm proud of Jesus"
"I'm proud to be gay"

Why don't you like quotes from scripture? Because it debunks your "non-God" position.? The answer is there.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Goat »

AB wrote:

"I'm proud of my child"
"I'm proud of Jesus"
"I'm proud to be gay"

Why don't you like quotes from scripture? Because it debunks your "non-God" position.? The answer is there.
Notice, "unless it is in support of your own thinking". That is because those who quote scripture without considering are little tiny drones who do not put their soul or mind into their beliefs, but rather are letting other people tell them what they should believe. (Well, that is my opinion about
why I don't like people who only quote scripture, rather than expond on what they think with their own words. Scripture can be interpreted many ways, and one person can quote one piece of scripture, and another can 'refute' it with another piece.

AB

Post #6

Post by AB »

Confused wrote:

"I'm proud of my child"
"I'm proud of Jesus"
"I'm proud to be gay"

Nowhere in the OT 10 commandments is pride mentioned as a sin. The NT vaguely says that pride is a sin only if one considers himself greater than god or christ. So I guess pride isn't so much a bad thing. I wonder where the old saying "pride goeth before the fall" came from. Now personally, I think pride can be a good thing, so long as you keep it in context. If you are so full of pride that you start to think that you have nothing left to learn, then you your pride turns to ignorance. That's why we have peers. To remind us of when we are being ignorant.
All great things we do are enabled by God. By being prideful, we remove God from the equation. That is why things end up spiraling down when someone has pride (a.k.a. i't all me-no God). Pride is not good. Just look what happens when pride overcomes a person.

Cephus
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by Cephus »

I think it's really foolish to be proud of things you have no control over and no part in doing. If that's the only thing you can be proud of, you must have a pretty pathetic life. Take, for example, people who are proud of their skin color. Why? What's next? Blue-eyed pride? Left-handed pride? If that's all you've got, you need to get out more and actually do something with your life.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by Goat »

Cephus wrote:I think it's really foolish to be proud of things you have no control over and no part in doing. If that's the only thing you can be proud of, you must have a pretty pathetic life. Take, for example, people who are proud of their skin color. Why? What's next? Blue-eyed pride? Left-handed pride? If that's all you've got, you need to get out more and actually do something with your life.
If you notice, many people are 'prideful' of their heritage/sexual orientation/religious beliefs based on if other groups are prejudiced against them based on their heritage/sexual orientation/religious belief. They are reacting to others attempt to derogate them based on some factor that is beyond their control. It's telling people "No, I am not going to feel inferior because you tell me that blacks-whites-asian-jews-hindus-mulsims-etc are scum,and I am proud to be a black-white-asian-jew-hindu-muslim-etc despite your opinion of them.

AB

Post #9

Post by AB »

goat wrote:
AB wrote:

"I'm proud of my child"
"I'm proud of Jesus"
"I'm proud to be gay"

Notice, "unless it is in support of your own thinking". That is because those who quote scripture without considering are little tiny drones who do not put their soul or mind into their beliefs, but rather are letting other people tell them what they should believe. (Well, that is my opinion about
why I don't like people who only quote scripture, rather than expond on what they think with their own words. Scripture can be interpreted many ways, and one person can quote one piece of scripture, and another can 'refute' it with another piece.
I think you are underestimating the truths scriptures provide. Jesus quoted scripture in response to the temptations of the bad guy in the desert. Classifying people in a negative (for example "mindless) light because they go to scripture is quite off base. Also, it's not "relying" on other people....Hold on.. lets say they do rely on other people(aka scripture) and those other people are right. Game set and match my brother.

The nuances within the bible can vary(for example, Matthew's audience are the Jews, while Luke's audience are the gentiles). But the primary message, point, & happening is strong throughout the bible without contradiction.

I disagree with you.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by Goat »

AB wrote:
goat wrote: I think you are underestimating the truths scriptures provide. Jesus quoted scripture in response to the temptations of the bad guy in the desert. Classifying people in a negative (for example "mindless) light because they go to scripture is quite off base. Also, it's not "relying" on other people....Hold on.. lets say they do rely on other people(aka scripture) and those other people are right. Game set and match my brother.

The nuances within the bible can vary(for example, Matthew's audience are the Jews, while Luke's audience are the gentiles). But the primary message, point, & happening is strong throughout the bible without contradiction.

I disagree with you.
You have that right, but any thing you can try to 'prove' with scripture, I can refute with scripture.

I rather suspect you overstate the claims about Jesus. Of course, I don't accept him as God, and I am not really sure that Jesus, as described by the Gospels, actually existed.

And I know that the writers of the Gospels "quote mined" the Tanakh to fit Jesus into there. That isn't showing truth at all, but just the opposite of it.