Proud to be proud of my pride

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Cmass
Guru

Proud to be proud of my pride

Post #1

Post by Cmass »

This came to me today as I saw various bumper stickers and signs along the road:

Is pride a good thing or a bad thing? Is good or bad pride conditional on what it is you are proud of or is pride always OK or not OK? If it is conditional, then who decides the condition? You? God? Society?
Is it even possible to be proud of something you have no control over?
Please think about these statements:
"I'm proud of my left foot"
"I'm proud of my country"
"I'm proud of my child"
"I'm proud of my skin color"
"I'm proud of my religion"
"I'm proud of my aunt Betty for her fight against cancer"
"I'm proud of my president"
"I'm proud of our troops"
"I'm proud of my business"
"I'm proud of Jesus"
"I'm proud of my efforts"
"I'm proud of your efforts"
"I'm proud of my accomplishments"
"I'm proud of my leadership skills"
"I'm proud of my wife/husband/partner/lover"
"I'm proud to be gay"
"I'm proud to be hetero-sexual"
"I'm proud to monogamous"
"I'm proud to be polyamorous"
"I'm proud of the thread I just posted"
"I'm proud of the answer I just gave to this nutcase's thread"

Please comment on this from a biblical as well as personal perspective. As many may know, I really don't like endless strings of quotes from scripture unless it is in support of your own thinking.

AB

Re: Proud to be proud of my pride

Post #41

Post by AB »

Cephus wrote:
AB wrote:I don't think it is the "jealousy" word we know. It is not fear based, apprehension base or suspicion based. God is concerned for us and therefore is Jealous(a.ka. concerned) of lethal influences that can take His children over.
But that really makes no sense. God is omniscient, he knows everything. He knows how it's all going to turn out. Why would he be concerned over something he already knows the outcome of? It's like watching a movie a second time and being concerned how it's going to end. Makes mo sense.
This is an opportunity to understand God's relationship to us. Don't miss this aspect. Throwing out the "God is omiscient, knows everyting, etc" frame of mind, removes you from understanding.

Cephus
Prodigy

Post #42

Post by Cephus »

AB wrote:This is an opportunity to understand God's relationship to us. Don't miss this aspect. Throwing out the "God is omiscient, knows everyting, etc" frame of mind, removes you from understanding.
It was actually an opportunity for you to explain where I was wrong. Too bad you were unable to do that.

AB

Post #43

Post by AB »

Cephus wrote:
AB wrote:This is an opportunity to understand God's relationship to us. Don't miss this aspect. Throwing out the "God is omiscient, knows everyting, etc" frame of mind, removes you from understanding.
It was actually an opportunity for you to explain where I was wrong. Too bad you were unable to do that.
I didn't try to do that. I think the foundation of your argument is corrupt. There is no need for me to explain where you are wrong. It is implied.

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #44

Post by Confused »

AB wrote:
Cephus wrote:
I didn't try to do that. I think the foundation of your argument is corrupt. There is no need for me to explain where you are wrong. It is implied.
Well, humor those of us who are obviously stupid. Please do explain how the foundation is corrupt. Where exactly did it go wrong???
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein

achilles12604
Site Supporter

Post #45

Post by achilles12604 »

bernee51 wrote:
Cmass wrote:This came to me today as I saw various bumper stickers and signs along the road:

Is pride a good thing or a bad thing? Is good or bad pride conditional on what it is you are proud of or is pride always OK or not OK? If it is conditional, then who decides the condition? You? God? Society?
"I'm proud of my child"
"I'm proud of Jesus"
"I'm proud to be gay"

Please comment on this from a biblical as well as personal perspective. As many may know, I really don't like endless strings of quotes from scripture unless it is in support of your own thinking.
Pride is attachment - and attachment is (ultimately) the cause of suffering.
My dear God in heaven . . . I agree with Bernee to some extent. Ok everyone . . . Hell is now in the temperate zone.

Pride is a source of suffering. Lets review some basic crimes and see where pride comes in.

If you are overly proud of yourself, if you think so highly of yourself, then ultimately it is easy to think better of yourself than of others. This is natural. Everyone does it. Now if this self-pride grows bigger it becomes arrogance and selfishness.

Arrogance and selfishness are at the root of most of the crimes I know.

Rape - I want sex or power. I love sex and power and I am entitled to it. Who is more important that me that can tell me no?

Robbery - I need money. I deserve as good of a life as everyone else and I don't have it so I am not wrong in taking it. I'm not really hurting anyone after all.

Assault - I am the most important person here. That person is not as important than I am. That person just insulted me by looking at me. He isn't worthy to look at me.

This is really what I hear on a daily basis. Scary huh? But I think that Bernee is right. Pride leads to attachment of things or self. This causes pain for themself and or others.
It is a first class human tragedy that people of the earth who claim to believe in the message of Jesus, whom they describe as the Prince of Peace, show little of that belief in actual practice.

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #46

Post by bernee51 »

achilles12604 wrote:
My dear God in heaven . . . I agree with Bernee to some extent. Ok everyone . . . Hell is now in the temperate zone.

Pride is a source of suffering. Lets review some basic crimes and see where pride comes in.

If you are overly proud of yourself, if you think so highly of yourself, then ultimately it is easy to think better of yourself than of others. This is natural. Everyone does it. Now if this self-pride grows bigger it becomes arrogance and selfishness.

Rape - I want sex or power. I love sex and power and I am entitled to it. Who is more important that me that can tell me no?

Robbery - I need money. I deserve as good of a life as everyone else and I don't have it so I am not wrong in taking it. I'm not really hurting anyone after all.

Assault - I am the most important person here. That person is not as important than I am. That person just insulted me by looking at me. He isn't worthy to look at me.

This is really what I hear on a daily basis. Scary huh? But I think that Bernee is right. Pride leads to attachment of things or self. This causes pain for themself and or others.
I would suspect what we agree on is in the high 90's. Like human and chimp DNA.

It is not just crime that pride causes. Seeking posessions...must have that SUV, must have the condo, must have, must have. It is all attachment.

What are we seeking? Happiness. We are attached to happiness.

The irony is that happiness is a default for humans. There is no need to seek it - it is there for us - naturally. Attachment gets in the way.
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

William James quoting Dr. Hodgson

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj

achilles12604
Site Supporter

Post #47

Post by achilles12604 »

bernee51 wrote:
achilles12604 wrote:

It is not just crime that pride causes. Seeking posessions...must have that SUV, must have the condo, must have, must have. It is all attachment.

The irony is that happiness is a default for humans. There is no need to seek it - it is there for us - naturally. Attachment gets in the way.
I agree with this as well.

On of my favorite verses. . .
Do Not Worry
25"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? 26Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
28"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' 32For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Don't worry about seeking possessions.
It is a first class human tragedy that people of the earth who claim to believe in the message of Jesus, whom they describe as the Prince of Peace, show little of that belief in actual practice.

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #48

Post by bernee51 »

achilles12604 wrote:
bernee51 wrote:
achilles12604 wrote:

Do Not Worry
25"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? 26Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
28"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' 32For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Wwwwhhhooo - I can feel the love.
8-)

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

William James quoting Dr. Hodgson

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj

Biker

Post #49

Post by Biker »

bernee51 wrote:
achilles12604 wrote:
bernee51 wrote:
achilles12604 wrote:

Do Not Worry

Wwwwhhhooo - I can feel the love.
8-)

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world

Bernee51,
John's heartfelt expression is what all men have alway's cried out for. Lennon expressed it very well. It is what Jesus provided for on the cross, but just as importantly what He is about to do shortly upon His return. The lion will lie down with the lamb, man will beat swords into plowshares, and no greed and hunger, the brotherhood of man,all the people sharing, not only the world but reunited with God. Come Lord Jesus, Come as only You can accomplish what John yearned for!

Biker

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #50

Post by Goat »

achilles12604 wrote:
bernee51 wrote:
Cmass wrote:This came to me today as I saw various bumper stickers and signs along the road:

"I'm proud of my child"
"I'm proud of Jesus"
"I'm proud to be gay"

Pride is attachment - and attachment is (ultimately) the cause of suffering.

You are mixing up pride with the desire for power.

I am proud of my work ethic. I am proud of the work I do. I am proud of my achievements. I am proud to help my friends. Pride and the desire for power are two different things.