Is Billy or Bob the REAL Christian?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Cmass
Guru

Is Billy or Bob the REAL Christian?

Post #1

Post by Cmass »

CMass asks Bob: "Why is it some Christians act like my friend Billy does some bizarre, sometimes cruel things in the name of God?" Bob answers "Well, CMass Billy is not a REAL Christian! If he was, then he would not do those things!"
Cmass asks Billy about Bob's comments to which Billy responds "Well, CMass Bob does not understand the Bible very well because it says right here in The Story of Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, paragraph 3, line 2, word #6 that I should indeed do those things and that if I don't we will all be doomed."
Billy? Bob? How does CMass know who the REAL Christian is and who is not? One of them is either lying or ignorant.
How do YOU determine this? Can you answer this without scripture?
What specific criteria does one use? :-k

And, oh yes, upon edit I must add this: Please do not give me boring, predictable answers like "Well Cmass, only God knows. You must do what is in your heart...etc.." I want to hear some creativity. (unless you feel threatened by that)
Last edited by Cmass on Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Biker

Re: Is Billy or Bob the REAL Christian?

Post #21

Post by Biker »

Confused wrote:
Biker wrote:
Cmass wrote:CMass asks Bob: "Why is it some Christians act like my friend Billy does some bizarre, sometimes cruel things in the name of God?" Bob answers "Well, CMass Billy is not a REAL Christian! If he was, then he would not do those things!"
Cmass asks Billy about Bob's comments to which Billy responds "Well, CMass Bob does not understand the Bible very well because it says right here in The Story of Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, paragraph 3, line 2, word #6 that I should indeed do those things and that if I don't we will all be doomed."
Billy? Bob? How does CMass know who the REAL Christian is and who is not? One of them is either lying or ignorant.

And, oh yes, upon edit I must add this: Please do not give me boring, predictable answers like "Well Cmass, only God knows. You must do what is in your heart...etc.." I want to hear some creativity. (unless you feel threatened by that)
How about who cares! Beside's it not my department.I think that project has been earmarked for Jesus.

Biker
Ok, but for those of us who have been misguided by "religious" people, this is important. I personally have been misled at least 13 times by very respectable preachers/churches. Jesus never once showed me that they were hyppocrates until it got to the point that they said my sons autism/aspergers/severe ADHD, and my daughters chronic mylegenous leukemia were a result of my past sins and they weren't being cured because I lacked faith. Now my daughters- they may have points there because she inherited the philadelphia gene from me (one cause of CML). But still, tell me christ taught them to lay this at my doorstep? So how do we know who is real and who isn't . Do we do like I did and keep going until we have been beaten down before we realize that it isn't us, its them?
Confused,I hear, I've been misguided probably 113 timesI'm on your side.I've been kicked out of more church's than I've left, just got kicked out Aug.10th from another one.The answer is Jesus gave one requirement for knowing a follower of His. You will know them by their Love for one another. Wow would I like to find that! But its no reason to quit trying, I'm trying to rustle up a down home, get down bunch of believers right now, no holds barred no BS no religious yahoo's allowed, good luck huh. Now as to your crisis. Cry out to him from an honest heart , He answers,no fancy crap He shows up when we get down honest and pursue him with all our heart He cant stand it and shows up. He really does Love you you know.

Biker

methylatedghosts
Sage

Re: Is Billy or Bob the REAL Christian?

Post #22

Post by methylatedghosts »

Cmass wrote: Billy? Bob? How does CMass know who the REAL Christian is and who is not? One of them is either lying or ignorant.
Or both of them?

Is there really such thing as a "true" christian. Many disagree on what makes a true christian, that can there really be a "definition of a true christian".
Ye are Gods

wizanda
Student

Post #23

Post by wizanda »

or..... Neither..... as something I still don't get is:
if Paul's minstry made philadelphia (Christian love) and Christ teaching are against this?

As in Christ said hate everyone even your self, yet love God with all your heart and then through that love, give love to others?
Not the other away around....
so when Paul's said edifiy each other and who doesn't love them self's....
:-k

Can anyone claimbing ~Christian know Yeshua in the slightest, if everything Christianity stands by stands again his teachings?

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #24

Post by Confused »

Ok Cmass, who is the true christian based on your beliefs and why?????
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein

Cmass
Guru

Post #25

Post by Cmass »

Confused said:
Ok Cmass, who is the true Christian based on your beliefs and why?????
It's a trick question: Both are true Christians.
Why: Because every answer thus far has been completely subjective....which is the point:

* John Hagee calls himself a true Christian - and hundreds of thousands agree. He is a very wealthy, popular Christian who is convincing masses of people that Armageddon is imminent and is in favor of war in the Middle East.
* Tens of thousands of people think Darrel Cole is a true Christian - and he wrote a book sold in Christian stores called "When God says war is OK".
* The Phelps family uses scripture on their "God hates fags" website. They picket dead soldier's funerals saying that God killed them because they were defending a country that doesn't give the death penalty to gays.
* Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, the Kansas board of education etc.. etc... etc...
* Then there are people like Eric Elnes leading the progressive Christians on a march across America to "take back" their church from the nut jobs mentioned above. They are in favor of an all-inclusive church. They are certainly true Christians.
* Then there is my Mom's very left-leaning United Church of Christ. This is the "God is love" crowd.
* Then there are people like Micatala or Osteg: Calm, reasonable, open minded. But they still believe in ghosts (or at least 1 ghost) and they are certainly true Christians.
* And then there is Allfiredup4Jesus and Achilles and the fire breathing Easyrider - all of them true Christians and all of them willing to debate to till the power runs out to prove why.

All of these people claim to be true Christians. All of them can prove it. In fact it would be silly to expect that any self-proclaimed Christian would not think of themselves as a true Christian and be at least somewhat ready to defend that position using scripture.

Billy or Bob or Billybob....it doesn't really matter who you picked as the true Christian, you would be right.

- Chris :eyebrow:

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #26

Post by Confused »

Cmass wrote:
Confused said:
Why: Because every answer thus far has been completely subjective....which is the point:

* John Hagee calls himself a true Christian - and hundreds of thousands agree. He is a very wealthy, popular Christian who is convincing masses of people that Armageddon is imminent and is in favor of war in the Middle East.
* Tens of thousands of people think Darrel Cole is a true Christian - and he wrote a book sold in Christian stores called "When God says war is OK".
* The Phelps family uses scripture on their "God hates fags" website. They picket dead soldier's funerals saying that God killed them because they were defending a country that doesn't give the death penalty to gays.
* Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, the Kansas board of education etc.. etc... etc...
* Then there are people like Eric Elnes leading the progressive Christians on a march across America to "take back" their church from the nut jobs mentioned above. They are in favor of an all-inclusive church. They are certainly true Christians.
* Then there is my Mom's very left-leaning United Church of Christ. This is the "God is love" crowd.
* Then there are people like Micatala or Osteg: Calm, reasonable, open minded. But they still believe in ghosts (or at least 1 ghost) and they are certainly true Christians.
* And then there is Allfiredup4Jesus and Achilles and the fire breathing Easyrider - all of them true Christians and all of them willing to debate to till the power runs out to prove why.

All of these people claim to be true Christians. All of them can prove it. In fact it would be silly to expect that any self-proclaimed Christian would not think of themselves as a true Christian and be at least somewhat ready to defend that position using scripture.

Billy or Bob or Billybob....it doesn't really matter who you picked as the true Christian, you would be right.

YOU SUCK :lol: #-o :D :confused2: :blink:
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein

Biker

Post #27

Post by Biker »

Confused wrote:
Cmass wrote:
Confused said:

YOU SUCK :lol: #-o :D :confused2: :blink:
So, I'm guessing here, God fell off His throne because various professing Christians do all sorts of entertaining things under the guise of (Christianity), therefore its a bull! Is that the purpose of this exercise?

Biker?

Cmass
Guru

Post #28

Post by Cmass »

So, I'm guessing here, God fell off His throne because various professing Christians do all sorts of entertaining things under the guise of (Christianity), therefore its a bull! Is that the purpose of this exercise?

Huh?
I'm not addressing God falling off anything nor am I saying that God is "bull" in this thread.
I am pointing out the difficulty I have with people claiming to be "true" Christians. I don't see any good way to define what a true Christian is, yet I see people claiming this constantly - even within this forum. When in a bind, many Christians simply say "well, THAT person is not a true Christian!". OK, what the heck is a true Christian then?
Biker, are YOU a true Christian? Can you tell me why? Can you tell me why you are and why someone else might not be?