Nothing is certain; everything is permitted

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

Seek
Student

Nothing is certain; everything is permitted

Post #1

Post by Seek »

Our knowledge comes from our inherently subjective perception, which has shown to be fallible. There is no truth, merely coincidental attitudes driven by probability. If there is no truth in perception, then there is no right or wrong about anything. Anyone be allowed to steal, slander, hurt, humiliate, insult, bully, swear at or even kill anyone at any time. Basically, anyone is permitted to do anything at any time. Normal people would say ”but Seek, there are laws you have to abide by”, but my response to them is ”How do I know my belief system isn’t flawed in such a way that enables me to do criminal things?”
Last edited by Seek on Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Miles
Savant

Re: Nothing is certain; everything is permitted

Post #21

Post by Miles »

Rose2020 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:31 pm [Replying to Miles in post #19]

Of course not. God stands for love and light, He knows what is best for us, sincere prayer is always answered as He knows our hearts. Prayers are not necessarily as we would wish but what is best . This is faith.
So despite sincere prayer always being answered, sometimes it's not? How does that work? I ask because the first clause is contradicted by the second clause.

amortalman
Site Supporter

Post #22

Post by amortalman »

Seek wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:37 am There is no truth, merely coincidental attitudes driven by probability.
Is that the truth?

amortalman
Site Supporter

Post #23

Post by amortalman »

[Replying to Miles in post #21]

Miles wrote: "God stands for love and light, He knows what is best for us, sincere prayer is always answered as He knows our hearts.

What about an entire community praying for the safe return of a kidnapped little girl only to find her raped and strangled body in a ditch a few days later? How does that fit in with love and light? Did God think it was best to end a young life so horribly and subject her family to unimaginable pain? Maybe he knew the hearts of everyone praying and decided their prayers did not deserve a good outcome.

Miles
Savant

Post #24

Post by Miles »

amortalman wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:09 pm [Replying to Miles in post #21]

Miles wrote: "God stands for love and light, He knows what is best for us, sincere prayer is always answered as He knows our hearts.

What about an entire community praying for the safe return of a kidnapped little girl only to find her raped and strangled body in a ditch a few days later? How does that fit in with love and light? Did God think it was best to end a young life so horribly and subject her family to unimaginable pain? Maybe he knew the hearts of everyone praying and decided their prayers did not deserve a good outcome.
I did not write the quote. Rose2020 did.

Tcg
Savant

Post #25

Post by Tcg »

Rose2020 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:31 pm God stands for love and light,
One has to wonder which God you are referring to. It can't be the one described in the Bible.
He knows what is best for us, sincere prayer is always answered as He knows our hearts. Prayers are not necessarily as we would wish but what is best . This is faith.
This has to be faith given that there aren't any verifiable facts to support this claim.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #26

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Miles in post #21]
Prayer is answered but not to any demands. God decides how to help us. We can only cry out to him, then trust.

Miles
Savant

Post #27

Post by Miles »

Rose2020 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:52 am [Replying to Miles in post #21]
Prayer is answered but not to any demands. God decides how to help us. We can only cry out to him, then trust.
Nothing was ever said about demands, so I don't know why you're bringing it up. Why are you?

amortalman
Site Supporter

Post #28

Post by amortalman »

Rose2020 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:31 pm [Replying to Miles in post #19]

Of course not. God stands for love and light, He knows what is best for us, sincere prayer is always answered as He knows our hearts. Prayers are not necessarily as we would wish but what is best . This is faith.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #29

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to amortalman in post #28]

That was the deed of an evil criminal. Never the wish of God. That man will be punished, the soul of the child is in heaven and safe now. Those who pray will be given comfort and strength, which is how it has to be. Free will means evil will happen, but God is watching and He will deal with it. Our part is to trust in His judgment not ours.

I recommend please watch a film called 'The Shack'.

Tcg
Savant

Post #30

Post by Tcg »

Rose2020 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:53 am [Replying to amortalman in post #28]

That was the deed of an evil criminal. Never the wish of God.
It is astounding how often those who believe in an almighty God report that a mere human can thwart the wishes of this supposed almighty being. If God actually existed and if this God was actually love and light and whatever other wonderful things could be claimed about it, it would not allow horrible things to happen.

The fact that horrible things happen to innocent humans reveals that either God isn't almighty, or that it isn't loving and light and whatever, or that it doesn't exist. My money is on that this thing called God doesn't exist. It is the most logical explanation for what we see and experience day after day.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom