The Atonement

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Revelations won
Sage

The Atonement

Post #1

Post by Revelations won »

To all true Christians there is nothing more important to our salvation than "The Atonement of Jesus Christ".

Having said that, is it not therefore extremely important to every individual to understand fully what and how the atonement works for our benefit?

What does the atonement do or does not do?

What is required on our part to receive the full benefits of the atonement?

What and when and by whom did the atonement begin?

Can anyone clearly show all scriptures pertaining to the atonement?

I look forward to hearing your "take" on this most important topic.

Kind regards,
RW

Brightfame52
Sage

Re: The Atonement

Post #1091

Post by Brightfame52 »

[Replying to 2ndpillar2 in post #1090]

Sorry I don't know what in the world you talking about. Are you confusing me with another thread ?

Brightfame52
Sage

Post #1092

Post by Brightfame52 »

It accomplished that all shall Live !

2 Cor 5:14-15

14 For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead:

15 And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.

Folks one of the sure ways to determine who Jesus Christ died for, to know whether it was limited to only some of mankind, is to know that it [His Death] in the purpose of God must produce certain results, that being Life, Spiritual Life, this is true so much so, that if one does not experience New Life from from Christ by New Birth in this Life, to live by Faith, we can safely conclude that Christ never died for them, else we must admit that Christ's Death failed the purpose of God ! How many of us are willing to do that ?

Now our text passage informs us that the purpose of Christ's death was so that all for whom He died, should live unto Him that died for them, that Being Christ !

In Vs 15 it reads that He died for all [all that He died for] that !

Lets look at the word that :

15 And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.

Its the conjunction hina and means:

I.that, in order that, so that !

It denotes purpose and end, to the intent that, to the end that,

In order that they which Live ! Who are the they which Live ? Its all for whom He died, for they Live by His Resurrection, they Live when He Lived from the dead.

Rom 6:10

For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.

Thats talking about Christ, He Liveth after having died, He liveth unto God , not as a private person, but as the Head and Represenative of all for whom He died, so His Living unto God must translate unto their Living unto God, the members of the Body must Live because its Head does ! Thats why He is the Saviour of the Body Eph 5:23

For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.

So being that He is the Head, He is the Saviour, both Head and Saviour is a Joint Office,

So the they which Live in 2 Cor 5:15 are simply all whom He represented when He died and rose again !

Now, the Purpose of His Death and resurrection was that they should Live unto God or unto Him that died for them and rose again ! Who is both God and Man,

So thats how we know who specifically who Christ died for and rose again, simply speaking, all who live unto God by Faith ! Did you and I come to Faith in Christ by the Power of the Holy Spirit ? Then Christ died for us, BUT if we never come to a Living Faith in Christ, then Christ did not die for us, lest we charge Gods intent for His death with failure ! 31

Brightfame52
Sage

Post #1093

Post by Brightfame52 »

Redeems those He died for from the Prison of Unbelief !

Titus 2:14

14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

To be redeemed from all iniquity does include being redeemed from unbelief, the prison of unbelief. It should be remembered that to be in unbelief/disobedience is a matter of being imprisoned, for it is written in Rom 11:32

32 For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.

To be concluded in unbelief is to be imprisoned to it. The greek word concluded is sygkleiō and means:

I.to shut up together, enclose

A.of a shoal of fishes in a net

II.to shut up on all sides, shut up completely

Man by nature is Locked up in Unbelief / disobedience !

Rom 11:32

32 For God has made all people prisoners of disobedience, so that he might show mercy to them all.GNT

32 For God has imprisoned all in disobedience, so that He may have mercy on all.HCSB

This is important to know, and this is why its impossible for any sinner by nature to believe and or obey, to say they can, is to say they overcame in their flesh being imprisoned to unbelief, which means they redeemed themselves out of the prison of unbelief and not Christ, which is Idolatry and antichrist !31

Brightfame52
Sage

Post #1094

Post by Brightfame52 »

Redeems those He died for from the Prison of Unbelief !2

Again, to be concluded in unbelief as Per Rom 11:32 is to be literally imprisoned:

to confine in or as if in a prison And the only release from it is the the Redemption that is in and through Christ Jesus !

Rom 3:24; Eph 1:7 the word redemption apolytrōsis means:

I.a releasing effected by payment of ransom

A.redemption, deliverance

B.liberation procured by the payment of a ransom

Now understand something, by His Death alone He paid the ransom price to God's Justice that causes an immedite release from #1 The Penalty of sin and #2 the consequences of sin, which one was to be imprisoned into unbelief / disobedience Per Rom 11:32

32 For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.

32 For God has made all people prisoners of disobedienceGNT

32 For God has locked all people in the prison of their own disobedience ISV

32 For God closed all things together in unbelief [Forsooth God closed together all things in unbelief], that he have mercy on all. WYC

So because His Blood alone paid the Redemptive Price, all for whom the Blood was shed for, must be as a matter of Justice be set free from, liberated fro, released from all the consequences of sin, which unbelief is one of those consequences, hence imprisoned in unbelief because of sin ! So Those Christ died for must be brought out of the Prison house of unbelief as an evidence that God has accepted His Blood as their Redemptive Price to free them from the prison of unbelief !

Brightfame52
Sage

Post #1095

Post by Brightfame52 »

Redeems those He died for from the Prison of Unbelief !3

So because His Blood alone paid the Redemptive Price, all for whom the Blood was shed for, must be as a matter of Justice be set free from, liberated from, released from all the consequences of sin, which unbelief is one of those consequences, hence imprisoned in unbelief because of sin !

So Those Christ died for must be brought out of the Prison house of unbelief as an evidence that God has accepted His Blood as their Redemptive Price to free them from the prison of unbelief !

Thats why it is written Isa 61:1

The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me; because the Lord hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;

Notice here that it says " The Opening of the Prison to them that are bound" Thats speaking of the Prison of Unbelief, for remember we are by nature concluded to unbelief Rom 11:32

For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.

That word concluded means :

I.to shut up together, enclose

A.of a shoal of fishes in a net

II.to shut up on all sides, shut up completely

For God has imprisoned all in disobedience, so that He may have mercy on all.HCSB

The Redemptive Death of Christ opens up the Prison of unbelief.

The word opening is the word pĕqach-qowach and means I.opening (of eyes), wide

Thats opening the eyes of Faith, remember Paul said this Acts 26:18

18 To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.

Faith in Christ is the result of the opening of the eyes !

Lets look at Isa 42:7

7 To open the blind eyes, to bring out the prisoners from the prison, and them that sit in darkness out of the prison house.

Thats describing the giving of the Gift of Faith ! So these verses shows how there is an application of deliverance from the prison of unbelief, in the Redemption that is in Christ Jesus ! 31

Brightfame52
Sage

Post #1096

Post by Brightfame52 »

Redeems those He died for from the Prison of Unbelief !4

So the bringing out the prisoners from the prison [of unbelief] is deliverance out of unbelief, So faith or believing in Christ is the evidence that Christ's Redemptive Death worked, was effective, in redeeming from iniquity to include unbelief. We know that Christ's redemptive death worked for those He died for when they believe the Gospel of their Salvation, it means that His Death successfully redeemed them out of the Prison, and that their Spiritual eyes had been opened as per Acts 26:18

18 To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.

See when a sinner is in Unbelief they are evidencing being under the Power of satan !

Thats why, all the while we are in a lost state, the god of this world, satan has blinded our minds so that we believe not 2 Cor 4:3-4

3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:

4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

Thats why its antichrist to say that any of those Christ died for can yet die in their sins in unbelief as Per Jn 8:24

24 I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.

That is to say that ordained effects of Christ's Redemptive Death in the Purpose of God has been defeated by the devil and unbelief which contradicts Isa 42:7, because any and all in unbelief are spiritually in a prison Rom 11:32 ! Now ask yourself as I will ask myself, Did the Christ I believe in, that died for His People, deliver them from the Prison of Unbelief/disobedience ? If not, he is not the Christ of God ! 31

Brightfame52
Sage

Post #1097

Post by Brightfame52 »

He giveth Life unto the World !

Jn 6:33

33 For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world.

1 Cor 15:45

45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

In other words the Life given from the bread of Heaven to the World In Jn 6:33 is the same as that given by the Last Adam of 1 Cor 15:45 and its based upon His Redeeming Death and Blood. When Jesus made the statement in Jn 6:33 it was based on His Finished work on behalf of that World He Loved and gave Himself for Eph 5:25 the Church !

Note something here in Jn 6:33, this Life is absolutely given, bestowed, or communicated, or imparted, and is not something as is falsely implied, as merely offered, or made available, such who teach or imply that are nothing short of proud antichrists, but Christ is said to be specifically giving Life unto this World, Life out of Him Jn 1:4

4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

The Life is Spiritual/Resurrection and Eternal Life, New Birth Life

Brightfame52
Sage

Post #1098

Post by Brightfame52 »

He giveth Life unto the World !2

Again, the Life referred to by the Manna from Heaven Jn 6:33 is Spiritual, Eternal, and Resurrection Life, and its given to a World that He redeemed, A world that is His Sheep, or His Church, or His Body, or the Elect of God, or Israel as the Israel of God ! The Israel of God has nothing to do with ethnic national israel, Abraham's physical offspring of the flesh, for they are not even the Children of God Rom 9:8, but Spiritual Israel Born of God, An Israel Created by God's Word of Promise like unto Isaac who was after the Spirit Gal 4:29

29 But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now.

Again a differential in Israel born after the flesh and Israel born after the Spirit !

Now all who belong to that World [of Jn 6:33] are given Life out of Christ's Death Jn 6:51

51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.

This speaks of an exchange, His Life is given so that the Life of the World for whom He is giving His Life for, is given Life, Life out of condemnation and death, and if any of that world is not given Life, Christ has been cheated !31

Brightfame52
Sage

Post #1099

Post by Brightfame52 »

Christ applys His Salvation too !

If Christ did not also apply His Salvation, what His Death accomplished, it would be incomplete ! However Jesus says Jn 12:32

32 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.

When these all men are drawn to Christ, it means that they have been given by New Birth converting or saving Faith. Drawing is Faith coming to believe on Christ for all of Salvation, because He has for them [ones being drawn] bore the wrath of God in their place and stead, So He has delivered them from the wrath to come 1 Thess 1:10;5:9 !

Now Christ having died for us, must also as our Savior, apply The Merits of His Death in giving Faith by His Spirit and Word ! If He did not Himself apply the benefits of His Own Death, He would not be a Complete Saviour and He would not be worthy of all the Honor and Glory of it ! So in Jn 12:32 Jesus is saying that He will apply Salvation unto all men that He was Lifted up in behalf of, or that He died for ! 31

Brightfame52
Sage

Post #1100

Post by Brightfame52 »

Produces a Life of Faith !

The Death of Christ produces a Life of Faith as its fruit. Gal 2:20

20 I[and the whole Body of Christ] am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Basically what Paul means here is that, the Life of Faith he now lives, is because of, or the result of Christ Living in him, for He in us is the Author and Finisher of Our Faith. What is True of Paul in Gal 2:20 is also true of everyone for whom, like Paul, gave Himself for them, as He gave Himself for Paul; In fact it applys to the Church in that the very same word gave paradidōmi is used here in Eph 5:25

25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;

Again the same Two words in Gal 2:20 "Loved and gave" ! Now that greek word for gave paradidōmi actually means:

to give oneself up for, give oneself to death for, to undergo death for (the salvation of) one, Galatians 2:20; Ephesians 5:25;

Folks if Christ's death did not effect Salvation, it was worthless, unfruitful, for converting Life must come out of His Death for it to serve the Purpose of God ! So the Life of Faith that each member of Christ's body the Church lives, it is the result and due to Christ's Faithfulness, which results to Him coming into them by the Life Giving Spirit that He is 1 Cor 15:45

45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit and the fruit of the Spirit in them produces a Life of Faith !