Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

POI
Prodigy

Do God's Morals Change?

Post #1

Post by POI »

The Bible states:

"A priest’s daughter who loses her honor by committing fornication and thereby dishonors her father also, shall be burned to death."

Is this law still binding for anyone today? If so, are such laws ever being carried out?

Or, is it no longer binding for anyone? And if not, why is it no longer binding? And furthermore, if it is no longer binding for anyone, who's to say God's law will not change again someday?
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

POI
Prodigy

Re: Do God's Morals Change?

Post #31

Post by POI »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:07 pm
POI wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:23 pm
[ Do ]If you think it was morally permissible to burn the daughter to death, during this era/situation, for identified "fornication"...?[/b][/color]

During this era/situation? ... in our modern 21st century age? No I do not morally permissible to burn fornicators to death.
No. Was it morally permissible to burn to death female fornicators, (as this law was directed to), in the Torah?
POI wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:23 pm ...can you demonstrate why?
I cannot "demonstrate" why, I can tell you why I believe such punishment would be wrong now .. ..Namely because the time (and circumstances ) for such punishment has passed. I believe we are no longer under Mosaic law.
Why was it okay to burn female fornicators then; under Mosaic law?
POI wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:23 pm Maybe you can clear up how 'justifiable' punishment was warranted, during that time/place, for female fornicators?
if you are asking why I can consider such a punishment fitting, the answer is because fornication is wrong and causes suffering. It is entirely avoidable, so if someone chooses to defy Gods law it is in my opinion entirely fitting they face the consequences of their actions.
Thus, you agree with God, that during the time of Mosaic law, and under such criteria, it was justifiable to burn the female to death, for fornication?

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

POI
Prodigy

Post #32

Post by POI »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:08 pm All I can say is based on my cultural upbringing, killing over fornication would be excessive.
I would agree. But apparently, "God" does not.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #33

Post by JehovahsWitness »

POI wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:34 pm
Thus, you agree with God, that during the time of Mosaic law, and under such criteria, it was justifiable to burn the female to death, for fornication?
Yes, absolutely, 100% yes.

JW

To learn more please go to other posts related to...

SEX, SIN and ...FORNICATION
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

POI
Prodigy

Post #34

Post by POI »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:43 pm

JW
Why?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #35

POI wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:45 pm

JW
Why?
I already answered that question ... why I can consider such a punishment fitting? the answer is because I believe fornication is wrong and causes suffering. It is entirely avoidable, so if someone chooses to defy Gods law it is in my opinion entirely fitting they face the consequences of their actions.

JW

To learn more please go to other posts related to...

SEX, SIN and ...FORNICATION

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

POI
Prodigy

Post #36

Post by POI »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:49 pm
POI wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:45 pm

JW
Why?
I already answered that question ... why I can consider such a punishment fitting? the answer is because I believe fornication is wrong and causes suffering. It is entirely avoidable, so if someone chooses to defy Gods law it is in my opinion entirely fitting they face the consequences of their actions.
Kool.

If you were under this law, and you were a priest, and found that your daughter had committed fornication; would you light the match, or ask someone else to do it?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #37

POI wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:09 pm If you were under this law, and you were a priest, and found that your daughter had committed fornication; would you light the match, or ask someone else to do it?
The law demanded that with the death penalty the chief accuser cast the first stone (some bible scholars believe the condemned was first stoned and the body burnt). I hope that I would have obeyed this edict.

JW

To learn more please go to other posts related to ...

BIBLICAL LAW , SLAVERY , and ...RANSOM
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:30 pm, edited 5 times in total.

POI
Prodigy

Post #38

Post by POI »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:21 pm
POI wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:09 pm If you were under this law, and you were a priest, and found that your daughter had committed fornication; would you light the match, or ask someone else to do it?
The law demanded that with the death penalty the chief accuser cast the first stone (some bible scholars believe the condemned was first stoned and the body burnt). I hope that I would have obeyed this edict.

JW

BIBLICAL LAW, BLOOD SACRIFICE and ...RANSOM
Kool.

I would imagine the 'chief accuser' could/would be the priest himself, right? I guess this means that, under Mosaic law, YOU (the priest) are to cast the first stone. I assume you are perfectly 100% good with this, right?

"Moral alert"... Do you look for a very large rock, to place her out of her misery sooner? Or, do you find the smallest one, because you want her to suffer more - (as a more suitable punishment for her sin)?

brunumb
Savant

Post #39

Post by brunumb »

POI wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:07 pm Fornication - "sexual intercourse between people not married to each other"

Interesting. No one should have any good reason? And therefore, the applied penalty is irrelevant?
:shock: And people engaging in fornication are so evil according to 1213 that the best thing to do is burn them to death. Gobsmacked!
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #40

Post by TRANSPONDER »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:21 pm

JW

BIBLICAL LAW, BLOOD SACRIFICE and ...RANSOM
Sometimes I feel so very thankful that I am an atheist.