How can we trust the Bible if it's not inerrant?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

How can we trust the Bible if it's not inerrant?

Post #1

Post by otseng »

From the On the Bible being inerrant thread:
nobspeople wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:42 amHow can you trust something that's written about god that contradictory, contains errors and just plain wrong at times? Is there a logical way to do so, or do you just want it to be god's word so much that you overlook these things like happens so often through the history of christianity?
otseng wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:08 am The Bible can still be God's word, inspired, authoritative, and trustworthy without the need to believe in inerrancy.
For debate:
How can the Bible be considered authoritative and inspired without the need to believe in the doctrine of inerrancy?

While debating, do not simply state verses to say the Bible is inspired or trustworthy.

----------

Thread Milestones

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Re: How can we trust the Bible if it's not inerrant?

Post #2071

Post by Athetotheist »

[Replying to otseng in post #2068
Finding a few paint particles as well is not evidence all the blood is red due to touch up painting.
Finding blood on the cloth at all isn't sufficient evidence that it was the blood of Jesus.
Have no idea why yours is different than mine. Can you provide the link to the post?
Trying unsuccessfully.
otseng wrote:Do we have competent historians now? Even we do not fully know how crucifixions were carried out by the Romans. Apart from the TS, we only have one small archaeological artifact of a crucifixion. And it was only after scientists had studied the TS do we now know the common misconception of the nail going through the palm was incorrect.
The Romans knew how they did it. The people they did it to knew how they did it. It wasn't a secret they could----or even tried to----keep to themselves.

And if we don't fully know even now how crucifixions were carried out, then we don't know that they didn't have a way of making the hands support the body.
Athetotheist wrote:Even if Jesus did receive a spear wound, it wouldn't have been the prophetic fulfillment that John says it was.
otseng wrote:Maybe so, but it would be additional corroboration between the TS and the Bible since they both testify of a side wound.
Since scripture negates John's claim that it was prophetic fulfillment, such corroboration means nothing.
"Flax fibers are inherently strong, which is why linen is so long-lasting. They are also not very elastic."
https://www.linenbeauty.com/blog/does-l ... ic-stretch
otseng wrote:Are you claiming a linen cloth cannot be stretched?
Linen shrinks. Stretching it involves a deliberate process of wetting, heating and pressing. I doubt that the cloth's curators were willing to risk damaging it by putting it through that.
If you think Fanti is unreliable, then why'd you use him as a source in post 2057?
Premature, perhaps, but you yourself have cited Raymond Rogers as a source.

"The Maillard reaction is a form of non-enzymatic browning involving an amino acid and a reducing sugar. The cellulose fibers of the shroud are coated with a thin carbohydrate layer of starch fractions, various sugars, and other impurities.

Raymond N. Rogers and Anna Arnoldi, in a joint paper of 2003 proposed that amines from a recently deceased human body may have undergone Maillard reactions with this carbohydrate layer within a reasonable period of time, before liquid decomposition products stained or damaged the cloth. The gases produced by a dead body are extremely reactive chemically, and within a few hours (in an environment such as a tomb) a body starts to produce heavier amines, such as putrescine and cadaverine, in its tissues.
"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Rogers
Athetotheist wrote:Here's another, perhaps overlooked, development from 2005:

https://phys.org/news/2005-06-turin-shroud-fake.html
Please state what you are claiming instead of simply providing a link. I as well can just provide a bunch of links for everyone to read, but it would not be a constructive debate.
The article is so short that you would be put to less trouble to read it than I would to copy and paste from it.
Athetotheist wrote:You can hardly argue that he was resurrected from the dead without arguing that he was the Messiah from a Christian perspective.
otseng wrote:Though I would agree with this, technically they are not directly related. One can still believe Jesus was resurrected without believing he was the Jewish Messiah.
What you're saying here is that people can believe that Jesus was resurrected without being Christians. If that's the case, let's examine a couple of the options:

1. He was an avatar of Vishnu, as some Hindus believe.

2. He was one of the false prophets foretold in Deuteronomy 13:1-3....

If a prophet or a dreamer of dreams arises among you and gives you a sign or a wonder, and the sign or the wonder comes to pass concerning that which he spoke to you, saying, “Let us go after other gods,” which you have not known, “and let us serve them,” you must not listen to the words of that prophet or that dreamer of dreams, for the Lord your God is testing you, to know whether you love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul.

Considering the inconsistency in Jesus's teaching, particularly regarding Mosaic law, either of the options above is far more likely than his having been the Messiah of Jewish scripture. Ironically, therefore, the image turning out to be of supernatural origin would actually be evidence----if not outright proof----against Christanity.

And from a Christian perspective, Jesus being on the TS and being the Messiah would have to be related. If Jesus was resurrected without being the Messiah, then according to Mark 14:61-62 he was a liar:

Again the high priest asked him, and said unto him, Art thou the Christ, the Son of the Blessed?

And Jesus said, "I am"

So which do you prefer----having the image be supernatural and disqualify Jesus from being the Messiah, or having it be of natural origin and not do so?

oldbadger
Guru

Post #2072

Post by oldbadger »

otseng wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:14 am I agree except for the term "enhanced". There's no evidence the paint particles were of sufficient quantity that an artist could've later enhanced the blood stains.
Reading through the Oxford report I noticed that the blood stains had been retouched, or enhanced or whatever term you care to use. I'll take notioce of that, I think.
I've disproved this in post 1984. If you have counter-evidence to my arguments, please present them.
That post asked many questions....... but questions don't produce evidence, only research tends to produce answers, evidence.
Nobody is arguing the other relics are legit -- though there is one other that I believe is legit, I'll be arguing for that after the TS.
And so amongst the many relics and artifacts held by or discovered in the churches and monasteries of Europe, you think that the Turin Shroud and one other relic are true.... if you believe this then you do, but since over 1000 years had passed before this shroud appeared, since there is no connection to early 1st century Palestine etc....... I don't think much about tghe Turin Shroud.
Why is this a necessary condition?
Evidence is evidence, even circumstantial evidence, secondary evidence, etc...... whilst no single item could prove that Jesus was God, nor that he resurrected, nor anything else.
Gather your evidence and put it all together in a single report and I don't think you'll have that much to add to the original tests from 40 years ago; so far your 'evidence' is just ideas and questions scattered here and there.
Actually, everything I've been posting has been backed with evidence. Please show any argument that I've made that has been based on faith. If that can be shown, I'm willing to retract it.
I haven't seen any of your ideas that were based upon scientific research, is all. In my opinion all you're left with is faith.
What do you think the TS is then?
I have no idea when or where the material was initially grown, harvested, broken down, spun, sewn or marked, I just don't trust it.
Evidence please. Who punished convicts in the 13th century by crucifixion?
How this material was marked, I have no idea, I'm waiting to read about any evidence that this was wrapped around the body of Jesus...... waiting.
Again, all I'm claiming so far is a body was involved with the TS and that it was not artwork. Do you agree or disagree with my claim?
How would I know? I've only read a few lines of the oxford report and your ideas about evidence here.
One thing I must do....... I must google a picture of this shroud ...... (Done:) I wonder why the image looks so....... European?

QUESTION:- Are you claiming that Jesus was wrapped in this cloth?

oldbadger
Guru

Post #2073

Post by oldbadger »

Athetotheist wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:17 pm
Even if Jesus did receive a spear wound, it wouldn't have been the prophetic fulfillment that John says it was.
If Pilate ordered Jesus to be kept alive and got away after that meeting with Joseph of A, the spear thrust could have cleared his lung and enabled him to breath. We are clearly told that blood and fluid gushed out from the wound. I've seen a kid being saved by having a lung drained in a BBC A&E film, and when my right lung filled with fluid in 2017 a doctor punctured it (low down) to clear the fluid and send some for analysis.

They didn't stick convicts with a spear to finish them off, they bust their legs so that they couldn't push up to take in air, which is what happened to the two convicts.

Oh, and that shroud....? I think it's just another relic produced for the purposes of attracting more pilgrims with their purses, but it's too far back now to know exactly.

otseng
Savant

Post #2074

Post by otseng »

boatsnguitars wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:36 am I assume you mean "faith" the way Matt Dillahunty defines it: "The excuse people give for believing something they have no good reason to believe."
I mean faith by how dictionaries define it.

"firm belief in something for which there is no proof"
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/faith

"belief that is not based on proof"
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/faith

"a high degree of trust or confidence in something or someone"
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dic ... lish/faith
You said, "Why would the Church claim something if you (boatsnguitars) isn't going to believe it?"

That was your claim. The church doesn't check to see who is or isn't going to believe something, especially me, but anyone outside the Church, yet that was your response.
If a Pope said the TS was legit, would you then accept it's the burial cloth of Jesus?
It's troubling that you simply can't even admit it was an error, but you seem to always assume you are right about everything. Very bad form.
If you can produce counter-evidence instead of continual baseless claims, then you might have a point. Otherwise, it's just more fallacious statements from you.

otseng
Savant

Post #2075

Post by otseng »

Athetotheist wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:17 pm Finding blood on the cloth at all isn't sufficient evidence that it was the blood of Jesus.
I agree. The blood itself does not point to Jesus. It is the blood patterns that point to Jesus, which I will be getting to.
The Romans knew how they did it. The people they did it to knew how they did it. It wasn't a secret they could----or even tried to----keep to themselves.
The Romans did not live in the 14th century. So how would "competent 14th-century historians could have known how the Romans carried out crucifixions"?
And if we don't fully know even now how crucifixions were carried out, then we don't know that they didn't have a way of making the hands support the body.
Because of the TS, experiments were made to see which way was more plausible to crucify a person. It revealed a body cannot be supported by nailing through the palm, but could be held up by nailing through the wrist.
To help us understand the injury from the nails, Dr Barbet experimented with cadavers. He estimated Christ’s weight to be approximately 160 pounds. But his body sagged with the arms forming an angle of 65 degrees. From the physics of vectors, it can be shown that the force exerted on each nail due to the angle of the arms was some 209 pounds of force per nail. In experiments, Barbet showed that a nail through the palm of the hand, as traditionally depicted, could not support the force. The nail would tear through the skin very quickly, and probably tear off part of the hand in the process. Bearing in mind that the Romans were masters in the ‘art’ of crucifixion; there must have been another point of affixing a body. Barbet instead goes for the theory that the nails were skilfully hammered through the wrists between the eight carpal bones, thus being supported by the transverse carpal ligament. For the feet, Barbet presumes that these were driven through the second intermetatarsal space. Both sites for the nails would not cause an awful lot of bleeding, so that the condemned would not die too quickly; but the resulting nerve damage would have left Christ in excruciating pain.
https://medicine.uq.edu.au/blog/2019/12 ... sus-christ

Since scripture negates John's claim that it was prophetic fulfillment, such corroboration means nothing.
Here's the passage that corroborates with the TS on the side wound.

[Jhn 19:34 KJV] But one of the soldiers with a spear pierced his side, and forthwith came there out blood and water.
Linen shrinks. Stretching it involves a deliberate process of wetting, heating and pressing. I doubt that the cloth's curators were willing to risk damaging it by putting it through that.
Shrink, stretch, either way it means the cloth is not a static size. It's not that anybody is intentionally trying to damage the cloth, but handling the cloth and environmental factors can affect it. I agree stretching/shrinking cannot fully account for the difference, but it could be a contributing factor.

The size difference can be more accounted for as an artifact of how it was imaged. Jesus' head was not flat, but was bent forward. So, it would cause more cloth to be exposed to the body from the back than on the front while the cloth was wrapped around the body.

Premature, perhaps, but you yourself have cited Raymond Rogers as a source.
I don't agree the Maillard reaction can fully account for the body image. I'll discuss this more later when I present what I think is the most likely theory that produced the body image.
The article is so short that you would be put to less trouble to read it than I would to copy and paste from it.
It's not short. There are many claims in that article. What specific claims are you making with that article?
What you're saying here is that people can believe that Jesus was resurrected without being Christians.
Actually, I don't have any major problems with your line of reasoning. But, it's still possible to believe Jesus was depicted on the TS and not believe he was the Jewish Messiah. Case in point is Barrie Schwortz...
Barrie Schwortz is one of the foremost experts on the Shroud of Turin.

He is Jewish and not a believing Christian, yet he thinks that the evidence very strongly proves the Shroud is authentic, in the sense that it belonged to the historical Jesus.
https://skepticsandseekers.wordpress.co ... -schwartz/

There are few people in the entire world who know more about the TS than Schwortz. He believes it was the actual burial shroud of Jesus of Nazareth, yet he does not believe Jesus is the Messiah.

I think the major issue is Jews do not think the NT is authoritative. And they also have a Rabbinic view of what the Messiah should be like, which Jesus did not fulfill. All this is another topic in itself.

otseng
Savant

Post #2076

Post by otseng »

oldbadger wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:07 am
I've disproved this in post 1984. If you have counter-evidence to my arguments, please present them.
That post asked many questions....... but questions don't produce evidence, only research tends to produce answers, evidence.
The only question I asked was:

"Supposing the TS was actually dated to 1260-1390, it still leaves several questions unanswered -- who did it and how did the image on the cloth get created?"

And I'm not really expecting an answer to this question because no skeptic has an answer.

Everything else I posted was backed with evidence. Please show where I've made an argument without supporting evidence.
And so amongst the many relics and artifacts held by or discovered in the churches and monasteries of Europe, you think that the Turin Shroud and one other relic are true.... if you believe this then you do, but since over 1000 years had passed before this shroud appeared, since there is no connection to early 1st century Palestine etc....... I don't think much about tghe Turin Shroud.
I do think there's a plausible historical trail between Jerusalem and Turin. I'll be presenting that later.

Why is this a necessary condition?
Evidence is evidence, even circumstantial evidence, secondary evidence, etc...... whilst no single item could prove that Jesus was God, nor that he resurrected, nor anything else.
You did not answer my question. You stated, "There is no record in the gospels of Magdalene or anybody else removing any articles which might have been connected to Jesus." Why is it necessary for the gospels to record articles being removed to accept the authenticity of the TS?
Gather your evidence and put it all together in a single report and I don't think you'll have that much to add to the original tests from 40 years ago; so far your 'evidence' is just ideas and questions scattered here and there.
Actually, I'm willing to write up a paper. Are you willing to do the same for the skeptical position?
I haven't seen any of your ideas that were based upon scientific research, is all. In my opinion all you're left with is faith.
Please provide the link to where I've used faith to support my arguments instead of evidence.
I have no idea when or where the material was initially grown, harvested, broken down, spun, sewn or marked, I just don't trust it.
I'm not talking about the materials of the TS, I'm talking about the totality of the shroud.

Do you think it's a fake?
Evidence please. Who punished convicts in the 13th century by crucifixion?
How this material was marked, I have no idea, I'm waiting to read about any evidence that this was wrapped around the body of Jesus...... waiting.
I can't recall you providing any evidence to support anything you've been saying, so it should be me that's waiting.
Again, all I'm claiming so far is a body was involved with the TS and that it was not artwork. Do you agree or disagree with my claim?
How would I know? I've only read a few lines of the oxford report and your ideas about evidence here.
One thing I must do....... I must google a picture of this shroud ...... (Done:) I wonder why the image looks so....... European?
This is the common tactic by skeptics. They don't want to make a claim. Otherwise they'd have to do some homework and research. It's easier to just continually make baseless claims and have Christians spend time to expose fallacious reasoning.
QUESTION:- Are you claiming that Jesus was wrapped in this cloth?
Of course. Not only that, I claim the TS is evidence of his resurrection.
oldbadger wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:18 am If Pilate ordered Jesus to be kept alive and got away after that meeting with Joseph of A, the spear thrust could have cleared his lung and enabled him to breath.
That's a new one to me. No, both the accounts of the Bible and the TS testify he was dead.

otseng
Savant

Post #2077

Post by otseng »

STURP team members, Vernon Miller and Samuel Pellicori, took various photographic images of the TS in 1977. UV photographs revealed the blood stains more clearly than compared to normal photographs.

They published a paper on the UV findings in Ultraviolet fluorescence photography of the Shroud of Turin in 1981.
One of the nondestructive techniques
used to investigate the Shroud of Turin
was ultraviolet fluorescence (UV) pho-
tography. This technique is able to detect
organic and inorganic compounds by their
integrated emission spectra and it is the
complement of the more common tech-
nique of reflectance photography.

The sharp detail revealed for the first
time, particularly in the scourges, suggests
that intimate cloth-body contact oc-
curred. The detail (and contrast) is only
slightly less prominent on the front than
on the dorsal image, indicating that the
large difference in weight for each side
had only a minor influence on the im-
printing of the scourges. This observation
is contrary to what might be intuitively
expected, and it might be a clue to some
future understanding of the image pro-
duction mechanism.

Hypotheses such as a scorch cause or
paint are contradicted by the fluorescence
photography results.

The 8-cm side strip
running the length of the Shroud shows
weft bands that are continuous with the
main body of the Shroud.

Another feature requiring expla-
nation is the lighter bordering area seen
with many bloodstained areas. The in-
terpretation is that blood serum is
present.
https://www.shroud.com/pdfs/UV%20Fluore ... 0OCRsm.pdf

Some of the UV photos:

Diagram of the blood marks:

https://shroudphotos.com/gallery

oldbadger
Guru

Post #2078

Post by oldbadger »

otseng wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:44 am
The only question I asked was:

"Supposing the TS was actually dated to 1260-1390, it still leaves several questions unanswered -- who did it and how did the image on the cloth get created?"

And I'm not really expecting an answer to this question because no skeptic has an answer.
Is the cloth a linen? Woven from spun flax possibly? After 700 years you won't find out who made that...true?

I for one am not particularly a skeptic so much as a person who was watching the 'Can we trust the bible.....?' thread and noticed this conversation. I didn't have an opinion either way, but I do think that you are losing ground imo.
I do think there's a plausible historical trail between Jerusalem and Turin. I'll be presenting that later.
Now that would be interesting........ maybe the material might help?
You did not answer my question. You stated, "There is no record in the gospels of Magdalene or anybody else removing any articles which might have been connected to Jesus." Why is it necessary for the gospels to record articles being removed to accept the authenticity of the TS?
Ah.... let me answer that.
The only depositions that we have that offer any evidence about Jesus are those gospels. I cannot see how an individual cloth can be connected to Jesus. If you can offer some evidence then I'll read it.
Actually, I'm willing to write up a paper. Are you willing to do the same for the skeptical position?
No! I am a spectator, or reader actually, taking notice of your claims and not finding much evidence within them.
Please provide the link to where I've used faith to support my arguments instead of evidence.
OK. I'm quite happy to accept that you have not declared any faith about the Turin Shroud being real. No problem there.
I'm not talking about the materials of the TS, I'm talking about the totality of the shroud.

Do you think it's a fake?
The totality of the shroud has to be its material, it's method of production (weaving) and any marks upon it.
The material in the shroud is of extreme importance in this matter, surely?
I can't recall you providing any evidence to support anything you've been saying, so it should be me that's waiting.
I haven't had a strong opinion, nor any evidence either way. I see no evidence, either way.
But a shroud carbon dated to the thirteenth century by recognized laboratories does have quite a lot of impact.
This is the common tactic by skeptics. They don't want to make a claim. Otherwise they'd have to do some homework and research. It's easier to just continually make baseless claims and have Christians spend time to expose fallacious reasoning.
I'm not so much a skeptic hard set upon proving anything....... I've been listening to your ideas; they just don't seem to be very strong.
Of course. Not only that, I claim the TS is evidence of his resurrection.
Ah... well, you'll be trying to produce a Christian Certitude, rather than a Christian Faith. I have never met a Christian who has total certitude as far as I recall.
That's a new one to me. No, both the accounts of the Bible and the TS testify he was dead.
Yes.... they do, and I wonder if that is true, is all.

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #2079

Post by Athetotheist »

[Replying to otseng in post #2075
Because of the TS, experiments were made to see which way was more plausible to crucify a person. It revealed a body cannot be supported by nailing through the palm, but could be held up by nailing through the wrist.
For what it's worth, I have an hypothesis about that.

In depictions of crucifixion, nail wounds in the hands are necessarily shown from the front and the assumption is that the nails were driven horizontally. If the nails were driven at an angle, however, they could have been driven into the lower palms and come out through the backs of the wrists.
Athetotheist wrote:Since scripture negates John's claim that it was prophetic fulfillment, such corroboration means nothing.
otseng wrote:Here's the passage that corroborates with the TS on the side wound.

[Jhn 19:34 KJV] But one of the soldiers with a spear pierced his side, and forthwith came there out blood and water.
It's not about the image; it's about what a gospel writer says about why something happened. According to the scripture that gospel writer misquotes, he gets it wrong.
It's not that anybody is intentionally trying to damage the cloth
Of course not. It's that they would intentionally try not to damage it.
The size difference can be more accounted for as an artifact of how it was imaged. Jesus' head was not flat, but was bent forward.
.....which leaves no plausible explanation for the absence of wrap-around distortion over the top of the head.

You can't have it both ways.
Actually, I don't have any major problems with your line of reasoning. But, it's still possible to believe Jesus was depicted on the TS and not believe he was the Jewish Messiah. Case in point is Barrie Schwortz...
"Now, the problem I have is that I’m not really a scientist myself, I’m a technical photographer, so I cannot speak for the world of science in general and addressing this issue."
---Barrie Schwortz

https://singjupost.com/the-shroud-and-t ... ranscript/

Schwortz stated his personal belief that the Turin cloth is the burial shroud of Jesus.

Can you quote him as ever stating a belief that the image on the cloth was supernaturally produced?
I think the major issue is Jews do not think the NT is authoritative. And they also have a Rabbinic view of what the Messiah should be like, which Jesus did not fulfill.
And where do their rabbis get their view of their Messiah? They get it from their Bible.
Last edited by Athetotheist on Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brunumb
Savant

Post #2080

Post by brunumb »

otseng wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:44 am "Supposing the TS was actually dated to 1260-1390, it still leaves several questions unanswered -- who did it and how did the image on the cloth get created?"
If that date was established, then the shroud becomes a mere curiosity and the answers to the questions would only be of interest to those who care about such things.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.