What is a True Christian?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Madeline
Apprentice

What is a True Christian?

Post #1

Post by Madeline »

How do you define a true christian? I know that I am truly trying to repent from all the sins that are effecting my walk with God. However I do have one sin in particular that I struggle with and I engage in it all too often. Some of my friends tell me that those who practice sin aren't christians. I engage in this particular sin to frequently that to me it almost seems as if I am practicing it. But I want to turn away from it. Yet christians I know tell me that I am not a christian for doing this particular sin too often, and it hurts me. Comments?

Love,
Madeline

Madeline
Apprentice

Post #11

Post by Madeline »

You reply very fast! :lol: Some christians are self-righteous! They believe that just because someone is struggling with sin, or has a sin that they engage in frequently that they are not a true Christian. I disagree, God is faithful to abide with the Christian until they eventually overcome. Sadly to some, a true Christian is supposedly one who don't struggle with sin.

Love,
Madeline

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #12

Post by Confused »

Madeline wrote:You reply very fast! :lol: Some christians are self-righteous! They believe that just because someone is struggling with sin, or has a sin that they engage in frequently that they are not a true Christian. I disagree, God is faithful to abide with the Christian until they eventually overcome. Sadly to some, a true Christian is supposedly one who don't struggle with sin.

Love,
Madeline
So in your opinion, and I don't mean to sound morbid, but if you were to die tomorrow without resolving your struggle, are you going to heaven or hell?
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein

Madeline
Apprentice

Post #13

Post by Madeline »

I believe that God will abide with me and keep me alive to I overcome my sin. Also God chastens his children when they sin—if the children fail to learn from the chastening, then God takes them home so they don't lose their rewards.

1 John 5:16 - If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.

1 Corinthians 3:15 - If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

Love,
Madeline

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #14

Post by Confused »

Madeline wrote:I believe that God will abide with me and keep me alive to I overcome my sin. Also God chastens his children when they sin—if the children fail to learn from the chastening, then God takes them home so they don't lose their rewards.

1 John 5:16 - If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.

1 Corinthians 3:15 - If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

Love,
Madeline
I admire your devotion. If it isn't to insulting, may I ask your age?
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine

-Harvey Fierstein

Madeline
Apprentice

Post #15

Post by Madeline »

Thank you. I will tell you my age, but I am just wondering why it would be insulting to me?

Love,
Madeline

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #16

Post by Confused »

Madeline wrote:Thank you. I will tell you my age, but I am just wondering why it would be insulting to me?

Love,
Madeline
Just an old cliche; You never ask a woman her age. Also, what I am leading up to is do you have any children? I wouldn't put the challenges to my children the this concept of god has put to his. I fail to see how anyone can logically justify these challenges. So I was just curious how it may relate to you personally.
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine

-Harvey Fierstein

Madeline
Apprentice

Post #17

Post by Madeline »

I turned 19 on September 4th, and no children. :)

Love,
Madeline

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #18

Post by Confused »

Madeline wrote:I turned 19 on September 4th, and no children. :)

Love,
Madeline
I think it is great that you are strong in your faith. I hope that you never have to question your gods methods in regards to the children you may one day have,

Best of wishes

Michelle
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine

-Harvey Fierstein

FiredUp4jesus
Scholar

Re: What is a True Christian?

Post #19

Post by FiredUp4jesus »

Madeline wrote:How do you define a true christian? I know that I am truly trying to repent from all the sins that are effecting my walk with God. However I do have one sin in particular that I struggle with and I engage in it all too often. Some of my friends tell me that those who practice sin aren't christians. I engage in this particular sin to frequently that to me it almost seems as if I am practicing it. But I want to turn away from it. Yet christians I know tell me that I am not a christian for doing this particular sin too often, and it hurts me. Comments?

Love,
Madeline
Personally I define a christian as "one who follows the teachings of Christ." It seems to me that what you might really be talking about is salvation or "am I really saved if I am still commiting sins?" Am I correct?
You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. Jer 29:13 NIV

Chem
Apprentice

Post #20

Post by Chem »

Madeline wrote:
How do you define a true christian? I know that I am truly trying to repent from all the sins that are effecting my walk with God. However I do have one sin in particular that I struggle with and I engage in it all too often. Some of my friends tell me that those who practice sin aren't christians. I engage in this particular sin to frequently that to me it almost seems as if I am practicing it. But I want to turn away from it. Yet christians I know tell me that I am not a christian for doing this particular sin too often, and it hurts me. Comments?
If you are to believe the NT, who did Jesus hang out with, was it the self righteous? I think not.
"I'd rather know than believe" Carl Sagan.

"The worst Government is the most moral. One composed of cynics is often very tolerant and humane. But when the fanatics are on top there is no limit to oppression." H.L. Mencken