Ha, never
31%

Total votes: 16

Noachian
Student

Pagans and Christians only.. paganism with Christianity

Post #1

Post by Noachian »

Can Christianity and paganism be combined, Not that I want to combine them with my own beliefes personaly I think It wouldnt work but I want to know your answer.....oh and by the way can some one please move this poll to Christianity and Apologetics.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #21

Post by Goat »

Catharsis wrote:>>Actaully it is mostly Catholicism and some Orthodox who have combined Christianity with Paganism.<<

Is there any proof for this assertion?!
Let's see.. they have a man who was a god that saved the world.

Yep. Paganism to the to the highest degree. Taken straight from the Greek and
Roman tradition.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

samuelbb7
Sage

Post #22

Post by samuelbb7 »

I have read a number of Pagan beliefs. Many times this assertion has been made and then when I read the actual myths I find vast differences with the account then what was proposed to me.

So you just saying this is not sufficient proof of your position. Give me the name of the god and the man then let me look it up.

For instance comparing Horus with the Bible description of JESUS. Leads many astray not knowing that the account has Horus being a total god from the beginning and that his head was that of a Hawk.

Catharsis

Post #23

Post by Catharsis »

>>Let's see.. they have a man who was a god that saved the world.

Yep. Paganism to the to the highest degree. Taken straight from the Greek and
Roman tradition.<<

Hehe...Thanks for making me laugh.

Dionysus
Banned
Banned

Post #24

Post by Dionysus »

samuelbb7 wrote:I have read a number of Pagan beliefs. Many times this assertion has been made and then when I read the actual myths I find vast differences with the account then what was proposed to me.

So you just saying this is not sufficient proof of your position. Give me the name of the god and the man then let me look it up.

For instance comparing Horus with the Bible description of JESUS. Leads many astray not knowing that the account has Horus being a total god from the beginning and that his head was that of a Hawk.
The god whom I am named after transformed water into wine, was the half-mortal offspring of Zeus, and died and was resurrected.

samuelbb7
Sage

Post #25

Post by samuelbb7 »

From Wikipedia

Hera befriended Semele, who confided in her that her husband was actually Zeus. Hera pretended not to believe her, and planted seeds of doubt in Semele's mind. Curious, Semele demanded of Zeus that he reveal himself in all his glory as proof of his godhood. Though Zeus begged her not to ask this, she persisted and he agreed. Mortals, however, cannot look upon a god without dying. He came to her wreathed in bolts of lightning and she perished in the ensuing blaze. Zeus rescued the fetal Dionysus, however, by sewing him into his thigh (referred as his testicles). A few months later, Dionysus was born. In this version, Dionysus is borne by two mothers (Semele and Zeus) before his birth, hence the epithet dimetor (two mothers) associated with "twice-born".

In another version of the same story, Dionysus was the son of Zeus and Persephone, the queen of the underworld. A jealous Hera again attempted to kill the child, this time by sending Titans to rip Dionysus to pieces after luring the baby with toys. Zeus drove the Titans away with his thunderbolts, but only after the Titans ate everything but the heart, which was saved, variously, by Athena, Rhea, or Demeter. Zeus used the heart to recreate him in the womb of Semele, hence he was again "the twice-born". Sometimes people said that he gave Semele the heart to eat to impregnate her.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dionysus

His job also was to bring wine and the Bacchanalia to humans. Not save us. So I do not see the similarity to JESUS who died on a cross for the sins we are guilty of and to help us live in love of others. He also did not promise eternal life.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #26

Post by Goat »

samuelbb7 wrote:From Wikipedia

Hera befriended Semele, who confided in her that her husband was actually Zeus. Hera pretended not to believe her, and planted seeds of doubt in Semele's mind. Curious, Semele demanded of Zeus that he reveal himself in all his glory as proof of his godhood. Though Zeus begged her not to ask this, she persisted and he agreed. Mortals, however, cannot look upon a god without dying. He came to her wreathed in bolts of lightning and she perished in the ensuing blaze. Zeus rescued the fetal Dionysus, however, by sewing him into his thigh (referred as his testicles). A few months later, Dionysus was born. In this version, Dionysus is borne by two mothers (Semele and Zeus) before his birth, hence the epithet dimetor (two mothers) associated with "twice-born".

In another version of the same story, Dionysus was the son of Zeus and Persephone, the queen of the underworld. A jealous Hera again attempted to kill the child, this time by sending Titans to rip Dionysus to pieces after luring the baby with toys. Zeus drove the Titans away with his thunderbolts, but only after the Titans ate everything but the heart, which was saved, variously, by Athena, Rhea, or Demeter. Zeus used the heart to recreate him in the womb of Semele, hence he was again "the twice-born". Sometimes people said that he gave Semele the heart to eat to impregnate her.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dionysus

His job also was to bring wine and the Bacchanalia to humans. Not save us. So I do not see the similarity to JESUS who died on a cross for the sins we are guilty of and to help us live in love of others. He also did not promise eternal life.
So, he isn't a perfect match. But.. there are enough similarities. Of course, the entire mythology of Egypt is designed to 'promote eternal life' .

samuelbb7
Sage

Post #27

Post by samuelbb7 »

Howdy Goat

I have hear a life saving device. It is a piece of wire. Now it is not like the defibrillator that shocks you but it should be close enough. :eyebrow:

True Egyptian theology was about eternal life. So? :blink:

The Christianity of the bible is very Jewish in all points. Not Egyptian.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #28

Post by Goat »

samuelbb7 wrote:Howdy Goat

I have hear a life saving device. It is a piece of wire. Now it is not like the defibrillator that shocks you but it should be close enough. :eyebrow:

True Egyptian theology was about eternal life. So? :blink:

The Christianity of the bible is very Jewish in all points. Not Egyptian.
I have to disagree. There is a lot of Jewsih parts in it yes. However, there are a lot of sections in it that are not Jewish at all. The idea that God would be a man, that is not Jewish. That violates the Jewish tradition, and the Jewish scriptures.

The concept of "HELL". and the interpretation of 'SATAN' , that is more from the pagans than Judaism. The stories about Jesus (not the teachings attributed to him) are from Greek and Roman tradition. A man who was a god, savior of the world, who was a son of a god, and had the sign of a star proving him?? Not jewish at all.

samuelbb7
Sage

Post #29

Post by samuelbb7 »

Howdy Goat
I have to disagree. There is a lot of Jewsih parts in it yes. However, there are a lot of sections in it that are not Jewish at all. The idea that God would be a man, that is not Jewish. That violates the Jewish tradition, and the Jewish scriptures

I agree it violates Jewish tradition. But I disagree it violated the Tanak. Since to me Isiah 53 shows it to be part of Scripture.
The concept of "HELL".

Since the general concept of Christian hell is roman I would agree with you. In my church we teach Gehenna will be of a limited duration punish the wicked and they shall die. The doctrine is called Conditionalism. While not in line with Jewish traditions of today. It is in line with what many scholars say the Tanak states.
and the interpretation of 'SATAN' , that is more from the pagans than Judaism.

The making of satan a demigod is again more from Persian mythology and putting him in charge of hell is from Rome/Greece. They are hard to separate. But as a fallen angel who is the accuser of the brethren and who works against the people of GOD it is in line with Jewish scripture.
The stories about Jesus (not the teachings attributed to him) are from Greek and Roman tradition. A man who was a god, savior of the world, who was a son of a god, and had the sign of a star proving him?? Not jewish at all.
Out of time. But will try to get back soon.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #30

Post by Goat »

samuelbb7 wrote:Howdy Goat
I have to disagree. There is a lot of Jewsih parts in it yes. However, there are a lot of sections in it that are not Jewish at all. The idea that God would be a man, that is not Jewish. That violates the Jewish tradition, and the Jewish

The making of satan a demigod is again more from Persian mythology and putting him in charge of hell is from Rome/Greece. They are hard to separate. But as a fallen angel who is the accuser of the brethren and who works against the people of GOD it is in line with Jewish scripture.
Well, in Jewish tradiiton. Satan is not a fallen angel, but merely doing the bidding of God. ALso, the suffering servant in Isaiah 53 is Israel, not Jesus.