Guns: have we taken them too far?

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Guns: have we taken them too far?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

There's little doubt that the seemingly increase of gun violence in the USA is getting serious. From the Denver theater shooting, to PULSE, to Sandy Hook, to the Vega shooter to Sacramento, to trump suggesting teachers should be packing....and on and on (there's been so many that the media isn't even making some of them 'lead stories' anymore).
Below is a recent link for review:
https://nypost.com/2022/02/01/dashcam-s ... -shooting/

For discussion:
Has the issue with individuals not only having guns, but using them in public, become an issue that can be solved, or is it too out of control?
If it can be solved, how?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Rose2020
Scholar

Re: Guns: have we taken them too far?

Post #2

Post by Rose2020 »

I think America is crazy allowing anyone a gun except for extremely good reasons. Here in the UK we are far safer without. I wouldn't touch such an evil thing.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by nobspeople »

Rose2020 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:43 am I think America is crazy allowing anyone a gun except for extremely good reasons. Here in the UK we are far safer without. I wouldn't touch such an evil thing.
As an American, I can say I 'don't get' the fascination with guns outside of collecting. Perhaps it has something to do with America's violent past, carrying over to current times?
I have family members that insist on carrying guns with them 24/7/365 (well, outside of bath time I think - but with them, who knows for sure?). They say they do so 'for protection', though they've never had to not only use them but suggest they have one to use. So I suspect their reasoning isn't honest.
Funny story: one family member traveled back to their hometown for a family function after being away for almost 40 years. When they were approached by another family member (this person brought a gun into the home of their sibling w/o asking their permission even though the home was, at the time, full of small children). The gun owner's response was: "I did something when I was younger and don't want any problems with the police!" Their sibling's response was "These cops weren't even born when you were here last - they have no clue who you are!"
Which, to me, points to paranoia on the part of the gun owner.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Miles
Savant

Post #4

Post by Miles »

nobspeople wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:43 pm
Rose2020 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:43 am I think America is crazy allowing anyone a gun except for extremely good reasons. Here in the UK we are far safer without. I wouldn't touch such an evil thing.
As an American, I can say I 'don't get' the fascination with guns outside of collecting. Perhaps it has something to do with America's violent past, carrying over to current times?
I honestly believe most of it boils down to an effort to reenforce one's manhood.

...................................... Image

Goes right along with

AND

....,,,,,,,,,,,..... Image

Tcg
Savant

Post #5

Post by Tcg »

Miles wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:28 pm
I honestly believe most of it boils down to an effort to reenforce one's manhood.
How does that explain the many women who own guns?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by Purple Knight »

Miles wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:28 pm I honestly believe most of it boils down to an effort to reenforce one's manhood.

Some of it well might, but I find the inclusion of the car very on-point because people don't strictly need cars either and cars also kill, but there's nobody looking to ban cars.

I find I don't understand when it's okay to sacrifice lives for convenience or wants and when it's not. Because clearly, sometimes, it is. Nobody is trying to take Billy-Bob's monster truck, just his gun, but if we're really talking about things that kill people, then we should be talking about this too.

Miles
Savant

Post #7

Post by Miles »

Tcg wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:43 pm
Miles wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:28 pm
How does that explain the many women who own guns?
They own guns either to protect themselves from the gun nuts who live around them, or they own guns to appear more appealing. My guess is that in many parts of the country there just ain't that much to choose from.

............................. Image

Miles
Savant

Post #8

Post by Miles »

Purple Knight wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:25 pm
Miles wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:28 pm I honestly believe most of it boils down to an effort to reenforce one's manhood.

Some of it well might, but I find the inclusion of the car very on-point because people don't strictly need cars either and cars also kill, but there's nobody looking to ban cars.
They're too darn useful to the rest of us. And from my understanding, these stand ins for one's manhood aren't used to purposely kill people.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by Purple Knight »

Miles wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:20 am They're too darn useful to the rest of us. And from my understanding, these stand ins for one's manhood aren't used to purposely kill people.
Well, would it make a difference? Hoodlums can't use cars to mug people, which is why they turn to knives and things when guns are banned. The only reason aggression survives is that aggression is rewarded. In the case of robbery it's rewarded with money, if the robbery is successful.

You can't really threaten someone with a car or break into their house with one... I mean, you can... I suppose... But the logistical difficulty of doing so in a manner conducive to succeeding and getting away with it is why you probably won't see cars used for aggression.

But what if they were? What if half of deaths from guns came from people running one another down instead? Would it make a difference? Why does it matter that the deaths from cars aren't the deliberate result of the use of the car? I don't think it matters much to the person who died.

Miles
Savant

Post #10

Post by Miles »

Purple Knight wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:19 pm
Miles wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:20 am They're too darn useful to the rest of us. And from my understanding, these stand ins for one's manhood aren't used to purposely kill people.
Well, would it make a difference? Hoodlums can't use cars to mug people, which is why they turn to knives and things when guns are banned. The only reason aggression survives is that aggression is rewarded. In the case of robbery it's rewarded with money, if the robbery is successful.

You can't really threaten someone with a car or break into their house with one... I mean, you can... I suppose... But the logistical difficulty of doing so in a manner conducive to succeeding and getting away with it is why you probably won't see cars used for aggression.

But what if they were?
But they're not! are they, which goes to my point.

Last edited by Miles on Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.