Grace (and/or) Belief/Faith (and/or) Works?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

POI
Prodigy

Grace (and/or) Belief/Faith (and/or) Works?

Post #1

Post by POI »

Seems there exists an unresolved topic amongst Christians... Seems as though the way to salvation is not unified among the many in which I engage. I'd wager they all have a case to support their position(s).?.?

For debate: How does one get to Heaven? What is God's criteria for His selection process? Is it by grace alone, belief/faith alone, works alone; or it is a combination of the three? Or is it maybe other? Please, not only present your case, but please also explain why the other asserted methods are incorrect.
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

POI
Prodigy

Re: Grace (and/or) Belief/Faith (and/or) Works?

Post #801

Post by POI »

1213 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:32 am
POI wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:52 am Seriously? It's anything your believed upon God does not like. Take your pick. Here is some. (i.e.):

Abominable – Rev 21:8...
That doesn't seem to have the word sin, I doubt that any of the scriptures you gave has the word sin. There can be many things that God doesn't like, but that does not necessary mean it is a sin.
LOL! Then I guess "murder" and "adultery" are not 'sins' either ;) Seriously 1213, no one is buying what you are selling.

"Thou shalt not murder" (or) "Thou shalt not commit adultery"

If God is telling folks not to do it, then doing it anyways is logically labeled a 'sin'.

sin - "an immoral act considered to be a transgression against divine law"
1213 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:32 am It is possible that the family is saved from a great flood, if the head of the family is righteous. This doesn't necessary mean they all will get eternal life, which is promised only for righteous.
Then by your logic, being 'righteous', whatever that actually happens to be, may not actually be a requirement for salvation either? If your dad is deemed righteous, you may get a pass. Which then means the answer could be a combination of A) and/or other. But you do not seem to know for sure either. Which, again, is the point of this thread.

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Savant

Post #802

Post by 1213 »

POI wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:42 am LOL! Then I guess "murder" and "adultery" are not 'sins' either ;) Seriously 1213, no one is buying what you are selling.

"Thou shalt not murder" (or) "Thou shalt not commit adultery"

If God is telling folks not to do it, then doing it anyways is logically labeled a 'sin'.

sin - "an immoral act considered to be a transgression against divine law"
Luckily I am not selling anything. I just don't buy your claim that something is a sin, if it is not said so in the Bible. This does not mean that nothing is wrong, or unlawful. Murder and adultery are wrong, I just think they are not necessary sin.
POI wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:42 am
1213 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:32 am It is possible that the family is saved from a great flood, if the head of the family is righteous. This doesn't necessary mean they all will get eternal life, which is promised only for righteous.
Then by your logic, being 'righteous', whatever that actually happens to be, may not actually be a requirement for salvation either?
Only unrighteous people need salvation, rescue from the judgment that would come because of sin.

POI
Prodigy

Post #803

Post by POI »

1213 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:44 am I just don't buy your claim that something is a sin, if it is not said so in the Bible. This does not mean that nothing is wrong, or unlawful. Murder and adultery are wrong, I just think they are not necessary sin.
:shock:
1213 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:44 am Only unrighteous people need salvation, rescue from the judgment that would come because of sin.
Until we square away what God (does and does not) label a 'sin', we will have to table this part. Sounds like your Biblical view is even more rogue than I had already thought prior.

POI
Prodigy

Post #804

Post by POI »

Christians, how exactly does one achieve salvation? Seems like such a straightforward and easily answerable question. And yet, your answers vary widely (i.e.):

Answer key:

A) Unconditional grace - (Jesus already did all the dirty work, everyone goes now since he had to die for all, as all fall short)
B) Faith/belief - (accept him as your savior, ask him for guidance, apply trust in him)
C) Works - (necessary additional acts or tasks in which Jesus also deems 'good')
D) Both B) and C)
E) No one goes, no one is worthy
F) Other, which does not already include the topics of B) and/or C)

Provided Christian answers, thus far:

Post 11: JW No answer
Post 27: Eloi No answer
Post 49: Bjs1 answer B)
Post 76: Tam answer D)
Post 236: kjw47 answer D)
Post 239: DJT_47 answer D)
Post 321: AFG answer D)
Post 758: Mea Von H answer A) or E)?
post xxx: 1213 still exploring?

Savant

Post #805

Post by 1213 »

POI wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:45 pm Christians, how exactly does one achieve salvation? Seems like such a straightforward and easily answerable question. And yet, your answers vary widely (i.e.):

Answer key:

A) Unconditional grace
Finally I think I can give an answer that you can understand. But, it requires defining the words salvation and unconditional grace.

Salvation = rescue from judgment. Not the same as getting eternal life, which is promised only for righteous.
Grace = God is merciful and offers forgiveness for all freely, without conditions. But, obviously people can reject the offer, and then it is not useful.

By these definitions my answer is A.

POI
Prodigy

Post #806

Post by POI »

Christians, how exactly does one achieve salvation? Seems like such a straightforward and easily answerable question. And yet, your answers vary widely (i.e.):

Answer key:

A) Unconditional grace - (Jesus already did all the dirty work, everyone goes now since he had to die for all, as all fall short)
B) Faith/belief - (accept him as your savior, ask him for guidance, apply trust in him)
C) Works - (necessary additional acts or tasks in which Jesus also deems 'good')
D) Both B) and C)
E) No one goes, no one is worthy
F) Other, which does not already include the topics of B) and/or C)

Provided Christian answers, thus far:

Post 11: JW No answer
Post 27: Eloi No answer
Post 49: Bjs1 answer B)
Post 76: Tam answer D)
Post 236: kjw47 answer D)
Post 239: DJT_47 answer D)
Post 321: AFG answer D)
Post 758: Mea Von H answer A) or E)?
post 805: 1213 answer A)

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #807

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:54 am
POI wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:45 pm Christians, how exactly does one achieve salvation? Seems like such a straightforward and easily answerable question. And yet, your answers vary widely (i.e.):

Answer key:

A) Unconditional grace
Finally I think I can give an answer that you can understand. But, it requires defining the words salvation and unconditional grace.

Salvation = rescue from judgment. Not the same as getting eternal life, which is promised only for righteous.
Grace = God is merciful and offers forgiveness for all freely, without conditions. But, obviously people can reject the offer, and then it is not useful.

By these definitions my answer is A.
That strikes me as inadequate, at least. To offer salvation from judgement (for sin) without eternal life is like allowing someone to return a purchase but not giving their money back.

You surely know enough of the whole doctrine of sin to know that the price Adam paid for sinning was losing life. which in Christian terms means eternal life in heaven. Thus salvation is meaningless unless the reward is eternal life just as Adam had before the fall.

And I can't agree that grace is given without conditions.I recall you said yourself that works, rather than faith is what makes a person righteous. The sinner can't get grace (even if they are a believing sinner, give or take a show of repentance) as Paul came to realise. For him believing in Jesus was what released man from sin (except the Jews, who were burdened by the Law) but grace and salvation could be lost by sinning, and I agree with what I recall you argued that works count to that extent, in Christian doctrine.