Monkey pox

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

Rose2020
Scholar

Monkey pox

Post #1

Post by Rose2020 »

Are we in any real danger and if so, who from?
This looks horrible and is affecting those who have not travelled. I hope it is not a new nightmare unfolding.

Bust Nak
Savant

Re: Monkey pox

Post #31

Post by Bust Nak »

Inquirer wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:22 pm
Rose2020 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:11 am What evidence would convince you?
A great question and one that - in my many years of debating these things - very very few atheists are willing to answer.
Empirical evidence would convince me. Repeatable, testable in a controlled environment. Put God in a test-tube, and I will be forced to believe.
a belief in scientism, philosophical materialism is what underpins much of atheism yet there's often a reluctance to admit to such beliefs.
Materialism, yes. Scientism, no. Scientism is an exaggerated/unreasonable trust in the efficacy of science applied to all areas of investigation, where as the existence of a being with control over nature is well within the area of investigation science is suitable for.

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #32

Post by Inquirer »

Bust Nak wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:30 am
Inquirer wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:22 pm
Rose2020 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:11 am What evidence would convince you?
A great question and one that - in my many years of debating these things - very very few atheists are willing to answer.
Empirical evidence would convince me. Repeatable, testable in a controlled environment. Put God in a test-tube, and I will be forced to believe.
a belief in scientism, philosophical materialism is what underpins much of atheism yet there's often a reluctance to admit to such beliefs.
Materialism, yes. Scientism, no. Scientism is an exaggerated/unreasonable trust in the efficacy of science applied to all areas of investigation, where as the existence of a being with control over nature is well within the area of investigation science is suitable for.
To me, atheists (in this forum for example) do hold "an exaggerated/unreasonable trust in the efficacy of science applied to all areas of investigation". Richard Dawkins and Lawrence Krauss epitomize this too and they clearly have a disdain for philosophy.

If God has control over nature, then a rationally intelligible universe is a product of God.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #33

Post by Bust Nak »

[Replying to Inquirer in post #32]

Disdain for philosophy for overstepping into the realm of science, making grandiose claims about the nature of the material universe. That's not scientism, just plain old scientific.
If God has control over nature, then a rationally intelligible universe is a product of God.
Okay, but that doesn't take detecting God away from the realm of science. What's wrong with using a product of God to detect God?

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #34

Post by Inquirer »

Bust Nak wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:00 pm [Replying to Inquirer in post #32]

Disdain for philosophy for overstepping into the realm of science, making grandiose claims about the nature of the material universe. That's not scientism, just plain old scientific.
Okay, but that doesn't take detecting God away from the realm of science. What's wrong with using a product of God to detect God?
Nothing, and I think that God is indeed revealed through what he has created. What I was driving at is that if the universe is a product of God's creativity then science can never explain the presence of the universe, it can have no "scientific" explanation for its existence; an explanation yes, a scientific (cause, effect, determinism) explanation, no.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #35

Post by Bust Nak »

[Replying to Inquirer in post #34]

Maybe, but detecting and explaining are different things, the latter being out of reach doesn't mean the forming is.