Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Scientific thinking and common sense

Post #1

Post by Eloi »

I have noticed that sometimes people with a scientific mind, people who have studied a lot and know a lot of information about different sciences, do not notice simple things that do not escape the attention of ordinary people, even if they have studied less or almost nothing.

For example, the fact that the animals that evolutionists call "lower" in the evolutionary scale still live alongside humans, and that others supposedly fitter, because they are located in a higher position in the evolutionary line of man, no longer exist.

Evolutionary theory holds that as animals progressed up the evolutionary scale, they became more capable of surviving. Why, then, is the “inferior” ape family still in existence, but not a single one of the presumed intermediate forms, which were supposed to be more advanced in evolution? Today we see chimpanzees, gorillas and orangutans, but no “ape-men.” Does it seem likely that every one of the more recent and supposedly more advanced “links” between apelike creatures and modern man should have become extinct, but not the lower apes? https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1101985017

To what extent do you think the "wisdom" of this system of things can cloud a person's mind?

Clownboat
Savant

Re: Scientific thinking and common sense

Post #321

Post by Clownboat »

kjw47 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:44 pm
Clownboat wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:20 pm
kjw47 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:53 pm
Clownboat wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:48 pm
kjw47 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:18 pm My words arent empty, and i am debating the darkness.
You don't offer evidence that your claims are true. Therefore they are in fact empty claims.
Holy Books don't count as evidence here.
You see this is a debate sight-the darkness stands on one side, and i stand for God and his truth.
I believe I understand as to why man has created religions. I understand there are humans that have a need to have answers to questions that religions provide (why and how are we here, what happens when we die etc...). My mother is one such person. She needs to think she knows about such unknowns as it provides comfort to her and I get that, even though I don't share the need.

Feel free to believe in whatever god concept makes you happy, but why can't you do it without making enemies (the darkness stands on the one side) out of everyone that doesn't share in your religious beliefs? You have providing a wonderful example of the division that religions cause. Ironic no, coming from a religion of love?

Again, I understand your need to have a religion, what I don't understand is the seeming desire to make enemies of those who do not subscribe to a believe you choose to believe in. The division caused by religions is unjustified IMO, but you keep right on displaying it for us all if you can't help yourself.

Only when mothers and fathers stop telling their children that there is a god that loves them so much, as to send them to a heaven, yet hates another so much, as to send them to an eternal hell will we ever stop the violence and bloodshed caused by religious beliefs. And yet, you believe that I'm on the side of darkness. Something about a plank in ones own eye comes to mind.

Be well.
You cannot disprove a word i say, so then you are in the same boat. Except i am correct.
Sorry, your words were already disproven when they were shown to be empty.
We all understand that you believe yourself to be correct. While myself, I am willing to be shown to be wrong and am open to correction.

For example: If you don't approve of the scientific method, please point to a better mechanism that humans should employ in place of it. Make a valid argument and you could possibly convince me. Why is that? Thanks for asking. It is because I don't assume myself to be correct.

The destruction and pollution of Gods planet and many getting cancer show major fault in scientific thinking.
No it doesn't.
Oh, I get it, you are still assuming that you are correct, aren't you? Feel free to hold whatever beliefs you want. If you want them to be considered, you should provide evidence. As it stands, it seems that your point is to uttter claims. Let's be honest, that is not very interesting on a debate forum.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #322

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Clownboat wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:32 pm
Inquirer wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:21 pm The plain fact is the atheists cite the Bible more than I or other theists do here.
OK, let's assume that is true, what is your point? Is there issues with citing the Bible?
Inquirer wrote:Clownboat: Uses the Bible to argue that God cannot be creator:
"I submit that if a god is perfect, its would create without flaws.
Matthew 5:48
New International Version
48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect."
Inquirer wrote:are you affirming that no atheist has used the Bible to support a scientific argument or claim in the science area of the forum?
Inquirer, where in my quote above am I using the Bible to support a scientific argument?

What I did and Inquirer failed to realize is that I analyzed a religious claim (the Bible god is perfect) and noted how it is illogical (because of what the Bible says elsewhere). There is no other way to analyze the gods as there is no evidence for any of the gods, but claims made about god concepts can be analyzed and even at times shown to be at odds with the book making the claims. This is what was actually done, but again, I believe Inquirer is just trying to muddy the waters to take the post as far off topic as possible.
I call it argumentum ad ignorium.

Ya just go on and fuss about something totally different so as to not hafta concern yourself with the difficult stuff.

Some theists seem to excel at it.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

kjw47
Under Probation

Post #323

Post by kjw47 »

Clownboat wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:39 pm
kjw47 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:44 pm
Clownboat wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:20 pm
kjw47 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:53 pm
Clownboat wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:48 pm
kjw47 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:18 pm My words arent empty, and i am debating the darkness.
You don't offer evidence that your claims are true. Therefore they are in fact empty claims.
Holy Books don't count as evidence here.
You see this is a debate sight-the darkness stands on one side, and i stand for God and his truth.
I believe I understand as to why man has created religions. I understand there are humans that have a need to have answers to questions that religions provide (why and how are we here, what happens when we die etc...). My mother is one such person. She needs to think she knows about such unknowns as it provides comfort to her and I get that, even though I don't share the need.

Feel free to believe in whatever god concept makes you happy, but why can't you do it without making enemies (the darkness stands on the one side) out of everyone that doesn't share in your religious beliefs? You have providing a wonderful example of the division that religions cause. Ironic no, coming from a religion of love?

Again, I understand your need to have a religion, what I don't understand is the seeming desire to make enemies of those who do not subscribe to a believe you choose to believe in. The division caused by religions is unjustified IMO, but you keep right on displaying it for us all if you can't help yourself.

Only when mothers and fathers stop telling their children that there is a god that loves them so much, as to send them to a heaven, yet hates another so much, as to send them to an eternal hell will we ever stop the violence and bloodshed caused by religious beliefs. And yet, you believe that I'm on the side of darkness. Something about a plank in ones own eye comes to mind.

Be well.
You cannot disprove a word i say, so then you are in the same boat. Except i am correct.
Sorry, your words were already disproven when they were shown to be empty.
We all understand that you believe yourself to be correct. While myself, I am willing to be shown to be wrong and am open to correction.

For example: If you don't approve of the scientific method, please point to a better mechanism that humans should employ in place of it. Make a valid argument and you could possibly convince me. Why is that? Thanks for asking. It is because I don't assume myself to be correct.

The destruction and pollution of Gods planet and many getting cancer show major fault in scientific thinking.
No it doesn't.
Oh, I get it, you are still assuming that you are correct, aren't you? Feel free to hold whatever beliefs you want. If you want them to be considered, you should provide evidence. As it stands, it seems that your point is to uttter claims. Let's be honest, that is not very interesting on a debate forum.

i will provide evidence--Go drink out of a lake or stream. Even scientists knows my points are truth.
When Henry Hudson named the Hudson river in NY state, he said it was the cleanest water he ever saw, now one cant even eat the fish out of it.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #324

Post by Clownboat »

kjw47 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:12 pm i will provide evidence--Go drink out of a lake or stream.
I have done so, now what?
Even scientists knows my points are truth.
You don't say!
When Henry Hudson named the Hudson river in NY state, he said it was the cleanest water he ever saw, now one cant even eat the fish out of it.
Now you think the thread is about pollution? You seem all over the place. Did you hit your head? By his stripes, you are healed!
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

kjw47
Under Probation

Post #325

Post by kjw47 »

Clownboat wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:31 am
kjw47 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:12 pm i will provide evidence--Go drink out of a lake or stream.
I have done so, now what?
Even scientists knows my points are truth.
You don't say!
Now you think the thread is about pollution? You seem all over the place. Did you hit your head? By his stripes, you are healed!

I hope you can find your way to find God. Alls i can do is pray on your behalf. Mans misuse of science is destroying the earth and man. Every other commercial on tv now is someone getting sued because they selling us cancer and they know it. $$$ means more to them.

brunumb
Savant

Post #326

Post by brunumb »

kjw47 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:14 pm Mans misuse of science is destroying the earth and man. Every other commercial on tv now is someone getting sued because they selling us cancer and they know it. $$$ means more to them.
Misuse of anything can be destructive. That even applies to religion. People being killed or families torn apart. Try some of the religious TV stations. Endless appeals for money. Souls don't matter as much as the holy dollar.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

kjw47
Under Probation

Post #327

Post by kjw47 »

brunumb wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:20 am
kjw47 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:14 pm Mans misuse of science is destroying the earth and man. Every other commercial on tv now is someone getting sued because they selling us cancer and they know it. $$$ means more to them.
Misuse of anything can be destructive. That even applies to religion. People being killed or families torn apart. Try some of the religious TV stations. Endless appeals for money. Souls don't matter as much as the holy dollar.

Only false religions keep begging for $$$ its what they are all about. Any one on earth believing the campmeeting show isnt very bright. Jesus said members of ones own household would be their enemies if they followed him. Spiritual enemies. The ones taking the lead in my religion do not even get paid. They do it out of Love.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #328

Post by Clownboat »

kjw47 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:14 pm I hope you can find your way to find God.
I wont give you a single thought outside of this debate.
Alls i can do is pray on your behalf.
Since you fail to show that you speak truth, pray away. Prayer seems to be a way to convince oneself that they have done something to help without actually doing anything at all.
Mans misuse of science is destroying the earth and man.

Humans are destroying the earth. You only war with science because you feel it threatens your religion and make it out to be some evil thing when in reality, it is just a method at arriving at truths.
Do you know of a better method that we should use?
Every other commercial on tv now is someone getting sued because they selling us cancer and they know it.
I'll chalk this up to you being a fan of conspiracty theories. It certainly has nothing to do with scientific thinking and common sense like this thread is about.
$$$ means more to them.
Are you talking about the lizard people that run our government?

kjw47
Under Probation

Post #329

Post by kjw47 »

Clownboat wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:11 pm
kjw47 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:14 pm I hope you can find your way to find God.
I wont give you a single thought outside of this debate.
Alls i can do is pray on your behalf.
Since you fail to show that you speak truth, pray away. Prayer seems to be a way to convince oneself that they have done something to help without actually doing anything at all.
Mans misuse of science is destroying the earth and man.

Humans are destroying the earth. You only war with science because you feel it threatens your religion and make it out to be some evil thing when in reality, it is just a method at arriving at truths.
Do you know of a better method that we should use?
Every other commercial on tv now is someone getting sued because they selling us cancer and they know it.
I'll chalk this up to you being a fan of conspiracty theories. It certainly has nothing to do with scientific thinking and common sense like this thread is about.
$$$ means more to them.
Are you talking about the lizard people that run our government?

You are mistaken. Gods precise use of science and math made creation possible. Its mans misuse i am against. All of it is science and math--from the bad drugs, to the bad pesticides-- All created by science and math. The stuff they are putting in foods. The poisions added to tobacco to rush nicotine to the brain so one cant quit and be addicted so they can fill their bank accounts no matter how many die from it.. All science and math accomplished by the heartless.
In the 1950,s they put stricknine into chicken food to kill the worms they had. They said chickens would poop it out, but they didnt, it went into the meat. A few years ago they figured that out so banned the stricknine in their food. They created margarine to give to turkeys to fatten them up, it killed them, so then instead of taking a loss they added yellow coloring and sold it to humans. those things are probably the tip of what is the empire state building that they are doing and they know it-They are selling us cancer, its a huge money making business now.

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Post #330

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to kjw47 in post #329]
In the 1950,s they put stricknine into chicken food to kill the worms they had. They said chickens would poop it out, but they didnt, it went into the meat. A few years ago they figured that out so banned the stricknine in their food. They created margarine to give to turkeys to fatten them up, it killed them, so then instead of taking a loss they added yellow coloring and sold it to humans. those things are probably the tip of what is the empire state building that they are doing and they know it-They are selling us cancer, its a huge money making business now.
Who are "they"? This sounds like conspiracy theory 101. Do you actually think science and math is used to intentionally create cancer-causing products to deliver to the public purely for profit? People choose to smoke, knowing (these days) that it is horrible for the lungs and can cause cancer. People choose to drink alcohol, and some abuse it and die from liver failure or other health problems. It is people who vote to keep tobacco and alcohol legal in this country (look what happend during Prohibition when the government outlawed alcohol ... people just got it illegally and it was a boon to criminals who supplied it).

What your refer to as "they" is actually "us." Businesses take advantage of opportunities and supply products and services that consumers want. If everyone stopped smoking and drinking alcohol there would be no "big tobacco" or booze companies because there would be no customers to buy the products. But as long as it is legal and people choose to consume those products, they'll get cancer or liver failure, etc.
In human affairs the sources of success are ever to be found in the fountains of quick resolve and swift stroke; and it seems to be a law, inflexible and inexorable, that he who will not risk cannot win.
John Paul Jones, 1779

The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.
Mark Twain