For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

Rose2020
Scholar

Communication with the dead

Post #1

Post by Rose2020 »

Why would anyone wish to do that?

Is it through grief with attendant emotions? In which case it is understandable but irrational.

Or is it idle curiosity without reason? Which explains the showmanship of mediums, an entertainment. Mainly a con in my view. Think of people such as James Randi who debunked many an unfortunate con artist.

To my mind it is unhealthy and dangerous to delve in matters that promise to be detrimental. I see no good coming from it.

The Bible warns us to have no connection with mediums and such, I believe the Bible is giving excellent advice. Leave well alone that which is a natural necessary process. We live, we must die. Acceptance is the only real peace. Even if you could communicate with those gone, what good could it do?

Miles
Savant

Re: Communication with the dead

Post #2

Post by Miles »

Rose2020 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:23 am Why would anyone wish to do that?

Is it through grief with attendant emotions? In which case it is understandable but irrational.

Or is it idle curiosity without reason? Which explains the showmanship of mediums, an entertainment. Mainly a con in my view. Think of people such as James Randi who debunked many an unfortunate con artist.
My guess as to why anyone would want to communicate with the dead would be to find out if there IS anything after death and what it's like: Eternally roasting on the spit of Hell or eating Oreos with milk and never getting full.

To my mind it is unhealthy and dangerous to delve in matters that promise to be detrimental. I see no good coming from it.
What matters are those that promise to be detrimental?

The Bible warns us to have no connection with mediums and such,
Then don't, but are these the only ways to communicate with the dead? Personally, I don't know.

I believe the Bible is giving excellent advice. Leave well alone that which is a natural necessary process.
Curious as to where in the Bible communicating with the dead qualifies as something that should be left alone. I mean, heck, there are a lot of natural necessary processes that can't be left alone, such as giving birth, eating, pooping, etc.

We live, we must die. Acceptance is the only real peace.
But for some, such acceptance is extremely difficult, even with the promises of rose gardens, and Oreos and milk as made by various religions

Even if you could communicate with those gone, what good could it do?
Satisfying curiosity. One of the stronger desires of the human intellect.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #3

Post by Rose2020 »

Curiosity killed the cat.

William
Savant

Post #4

Post by William »

The Bible warns us to have no connection with mediums and such,
If one can communicate with the dead, then they cannot be dead. The so-called 'dead' must be alive.

Miles
Savant

Post #5

Post by Miles »

Rose2020 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:36 pm Curiosity killed the cat.
It also gave you the light bulb, transistors, refrigeration, antibiotics, and the internet . . . . . . . . . . Now that we have this aspect of curiosity at out of the way how about addressing the points in my post, or are they just too difficult? After all, this IS a DEBATE forum and if you can't or don't want to debate I suggest you post elsewhere.

William
Savant

Post #6

Post by William »

Bible stuff re "Contacting The Dead" {SOURCE}

Leviticus 19:31
“Do not turn to mediums or necromancers; do not seek them out, and so make yourselves unclean by them: I am the Lord your God.

Deuteronomy 18:9-14
“When you come into the land that the Lord your God is giving you, you shall not learn to follow the abominable practices of those nations. There shall not be found among you anyone who burns his son or his daughter as an offering, anyone who practices divination or tells fortunes or interprets omens, or a sorcerer or a charmer or a medium or a necromancer or one who inquires of the dead, for whoever does these things is an abomination to the Lord. And because of these abominations the Lord your God is driving them out before you. You shall be blameless before the Lord your God, ...

Isaiah 8:19
And when they say to you, “Inquire of the mediums and the necromancers who chirp and mutter,” should not a people inquire of their God? Should they inquire of the dead on behalf of the living?

Leviticus 20:6
“If a person turns to mediums and necromancers, whoring after them, I will set my face against that person and will cut him off from among his people.

1 Timothy 4:1
Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by devoting themselves to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons,

Ecclesiastes 9:5
For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing, and they have no more reward, for the memory of them is forgotten.

2 Corinthians 11:14
And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light.

Psalm 115:17
The dead do not praise the Lord, nor do any who go down into silence.

Psalm 146:4
When his breath departs, he returns to the earth; on that very day his plans perish.

1 John 4:1
Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world.

Revelation 21:8
But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.”

Revelation 16:14
For they are demonic spirits, performing signs, who go abroad to the kings of the whole world, to assemble them for battle on the great day of God the Almighty.

1 John 4:1-3
Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world. By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you heard was coming and now is in the world already.

1 Timothy 2:5
For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,

James 2:19
You believe that God is one; you do well. Even the demons believe—and shudder!

Matthew 22:32
‘I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’? He is not God of the dead, but of the living.”

Leviticus 20:27
“A man or a woman who is a medium or a necromancer shall surely be put to death. They shall be stoned with stones; their blood shall be upon them.”

Exodus 22:18
“You shall not permit a sorceress to live.

1 Chronicles 10:13-14
So Saul died for his breach of faith. He broke faith with the Lord in that he did not keep the command of the Lord, and also consulted a medium, seeking guidance. He did not seek guidance from the Lord. Therefore the Lord put him to death and turned the kingdom over to David the son of Jesse.

Matthew 10:28
And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

Hebrews 5:14
But solid food is for the mature, for those who have their powers of discernment trained by constant practice to distinguish good from evil.

William
Savant

Post #7

Post by William »

[Replying to William in post #6]
"Contacting The Dead" - "Communication with the dead"
The pattern seems to be -
1: The Ancients were not aware at first that when one dies, that is the end of oneself. Thus they believed that they could communicate with those who had died.
2: Since it appeared to be the case that the mediums were talking to something intelligent, it was determined that the only invisible intelligence one should commune with was GOD - specifically the God of the Israelites who happened to use mediums...called "Prophets".
3: Later, this idea developed into belief that when people died they stayed dead, therefore - [apart from GOD] any invisible intelligence was designated "demonic" unless it stated that it believed Jesus was GODs Medium.

viewtopic.php?p=1080217#p1080217

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #8

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Miles in post #5]

Curiosity is not always a good thing. I believe when people open themselves to communicate with those who have passed on, they become willing victims of evil. The devil and demons are real, yet they can only harm those who invite them in. Think of Ouija boards and the effects - some have been driven to suicide by the evil released.

I believe in leaving well alone the things you do not understand, after all why even assume that the dead have anything useful to contribute any longer to the living? As a Christian I believe our souls are not able to communicate anyway, the results of mediums and Ouija boards etc are evil spirits impersonating dead loved ones.

William
Savant

Post #9

Post by William »

[Replying to Rose2020 in post #8]

I think that many religious folk are susceptible to rumors of the supernatural and will believe things they hear, without doing any diligent study.

How Ouija boards work.

The mysterious mechanism that powers the Ouija board is called the ideomotor effect (pronounced “idio-mo-tor” or “id-ee-aah-meh-ter”), and it’s basically a way for your body to talk to itself.

The ideomotor effect is an example of unconscious, involuntary physical movement — that is, we move when we’re not trying to move.

The ideomotor effect is actually a powerful subconscious tool

The effect might also make the Ouija board an effective tool to help you tap into your own subconscious. In one study published in 2012, scientists found that using the Ouija board allowed subjects to recall factual information with more accuracy than if they weren’t using the board.
{SOURCE}

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #10

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to William in post #9]

Maybe, but I wouldn't risk it. It is collective power of minds wishing together to contact spirits. At best a waste of time, at worst so disturbing that mental problems have have resulted. It ranges from pure cons to real damage.
The Bible gives the best guidance as on all matters, leave well alone.