Objections to a new film.

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

Rose2020
Scholar

Objections to a new film.

Post #1

Post by Rose2020 »

A new film is causing protests by Muslims. A cinema in Birmingham has had to cancel showings.

I know nothing at all about the film but I have to say, that although I do not agree with violence of any kind, I have long had respect for Islam and it's people. The moment anyone even thinks about insulting their religion, they react very strongly and will not let anyone get away with it. The same with Sikhs, just let anyone speak badly or portray their gurus with disrespect. They come out in force as one. Because they value their religion and God.

In contrast, we Christians do very little as far as I can see, though I may be wrong? The precious name and character of Jesus Christ is dragged through dirt, pilloried, used as a swearword freely - in films and in life. Jesus is synonymous with bad language. It is curious.

I do wonder what it is in this latest film that has Muslims so enraged? I do hope it is not terribly insulting to their beliefs. It could be that any portrayal of their religion in any way is the problem. In which case why would the writers, actors and producers risk it?

Miles
Savant

Re: Objections to a new film.

Post #2

Post by Miles »

Why Cineworld Birmingham has axed screenings of The Lady of Heaven film

"Cineworld Birmingham has axed all screenings of a film that claims to tell the true story of the Prophet Muhammed's daughter. The cinema company said on June 7 it had cancelled screenings of The Lady of Heaven following protests against the film at venues in cities such as Birmingham, Sheffield and Bradford.

The Lady of Heaven, described a story separated by 1,400 years, has angered some Muslims for its depiction of Islam's prophet. The plot revolves around Laith, an Iraqi child in the midst of a war-torn country who loses his mother and finds himself in a new home with an elderly woman who tells him the story of Fatima.

Protesters have also argued the film inaccurately depicts early Islamic history. In Islam it is considered an insult to try and depict the Prophet Muhammed.

Mirror Online reports that in Bolton, the local chairman of the Council of Mosques, Asif Patel, wrote a letter to his local branch of Cineworld, where he called the film "blasphemous". He said: "You many well be aware of the recently released film 'Lady of Heaven' which has caused much distress to Muslims across the globe.

"It is underpinned with a sectarian ideology and is blasphemous in nature to the Muslim community. It grossly disrespects the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) in many ways and is deeply disturbing to every Muslim. It also misrepresents orthodox historical narratives and disrespects the most esteemed individuals of Islamic history.

"The storyline begs the question to what extent the producers had considered the huge impact of this film upon the Muslim community and notions of sacredness dearly held by them."

source

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by Purple Knight »

Rose2020 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:54 amIn contrast, we Christians do very little as far as I can see, though I may be wrong? The precious name and character of Jesus Christ is dragged through dirt, pilloried, used as a swearword freely - in films and in life. Jesus is synonymous with bad language. It is curious.
Well it's why you can live in a pluralistic society that has many different value systems all coexisting and nobody poops their pants. It's why you can live amongst us atheists peacefully.

But ultimately I agree. I think if Christians had the same value of their beliefs as Muslims they would do something. Should do something. I'm not telling anyone to turn terrorist but at the same time I can't ask that people ignore their own ideas of what is right and wrong rather than stand up for them.

Now, I am pro-choice, but those people who blow up Planned Parenthood are morally right. They're morally in the right because they think it's murder. They are defending people they see as people from being murdered, so force is moral.

This is why a pluralistic society is a bad idea. You can't have multiple value systems all regarded as correct, or you're asking everyone to ignore the idea of right and wrong and just accept whatever happens as justice.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #4

Post by Rose2020 »

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by Inquirer »

Rose2020 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:54 am A new film is causing protests by Muslims. A cinema in Birmingham has had to cancel showings.

I know nothing at all about the film but I have to say, that although I do not agree with violence of any kind, I have long had respect for Islam and it's people. The moment anyone even thinks about insulting their religion, they react very strongly and will not let anyone get away with it. The same with Sikhs, just let anyone speak badly or portray their gurus with disrespect. They come out in force as one. Because they value their religion and God.

In contrast, we Christians do very little as far as I can see, though I may be wrong? The precious name and character of Jesus Christ is dragged through dirt, pilloried, used as a swearword freely - in films and in life. Jesus is synonymous with bad language. It is curious.

I do wonder what it is in this latest film that has Muslims so enraged? I do hope it is not terribly insulting to their beliefs. It could be that any portrayal of their religion in any way is the problem. In which case why would the writers, actors and producers risk it?
Such fanatical Muslims must be resisted. Islam is often intolerant and we should not passively tolerate intolerance. Calling for executions of cartoonists or homosexuals or advocating marriage to twelve year old girls or refusing a blind man a cab ride if he has a guide dog with him and many many more repulsive attitudes, long ago disappeared from our liberal Western states and it must be discouraged and resisted.

This film is actually produced by Muslims by the way.

As for insulting God, do people really think God, the creator of the universe and all life needs people to defend him?

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #6

Post by Rose2020 »

I must say, brave is the person who could stand up to them. Also yes it puzzles me as the film appears to have been written by a Muslim author. Surely he knew what would happen, as must all those involved. Look at Salman Rushdie, he lived to regret his book. For so intelligent a man, maybe he was not very wise.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #7

Post by Rose2020 »

I can gather on further glance that there are politics and disagreement amongst Muslims about the content of the film. That is a matter to leave to them I think.

Miles
Savant

Post #8

Post by Miles »

Rose2020 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:23 pm I can gather on further glance that there are politics and disagreement amongst Muslims about the content of the film. That is a matter to leave to them I think.

But do you think it's fair that just because some of them dislike the content of a film they should be able to pressure exhibitors into not allowing anyone see it?

Would it be fair for some Christian sect to keep you from seeing The Greatest Story Ever Told----a movie that received five Academy Award nominations----because they got it banned from all theaters because it depicted Jesus dying on the cross?

Clownboat
Savant

Post #9

Post by Clownboat »

Inquirer wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:31 pm As for insulting God, do people really think God, the creator of the universe and all life needs people to defend him?
Can you show that Allah is the creator of the universe and show that he in fact created all life?

Now, would a god need to be defended? No more than Santa Clause would need children to defend him it would seem.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by Purple Knight »

Inquirer wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:31 pmSuch fanatical Muslims must be resisted.
Why? They think they're standing up for what is right. And of these Western values you speak of, exalting people who boldly do so even if society disagrees is first among them.

If you want a pluralistic society, you want people who ignore their own personal ideas of right and wrong and never stand up for them. IMO that's terrible. That's a terrible society to have. And I think it's fine to have a society where we believe gay people don't need to be beheaded and cartoonists should be able to draw whatever they want, but it can't be pluralistic. Not everyone's idea of right and wrong can be correct.