Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Diogenes
Guru

Roe v. Wade Overturned June 24, 2022

Post #1

Post by Diogenes »

Roe v. Wade has been overturned today.
This subtopic specifically does not invite debate on the prohibition of abortion.

The question for debate is whether this sweeping decision allowing the States to outlaw abortion will lead to civil unrest and disrespect for the Court. My guess is, it will do both and will lead to women traveling from their homes in the South and much of the heartland of the United States to States that protect the 'right' for 50 years.

The 'abortion pill' will be banned in many States and the 'pro-choice' advocates will try to get the pill into those States where it will be a felony to possess it. I can envision armed militias at borders and around airports.
When the 18th Amendment prohibited Alcohol in 1919 it produced a new, illegal industry and related violence that lead to the passage of the 21st Amendment in 1933, repealing that Amendment.

Before You Embark On A Journey Of Revenge, Dig Two Graves

— Confucius

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Re: Roe v. Wade Overturned June 24, 2022

Post #2

Post by Inquirer »

Diogenes wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:38 am Roe v. Wade has been overturned today.
This subtopic specifically does not invite debate on the prohibition of abortion.

The question for debate is whether this sweeping decision allowing the States to outlaw abortion will lead to civil unrest and disrespect for the Court. My guess is, it will do both and will lead to women traveling from their homes in the South and much of the heartland of the United States to States that protect the 'right' for 50 years.

The 'abortion pill' will be banned in many States and the 'pro-choice' advocates will try to get the pill into those States where it will be a felony to possess it. I can envision armed militias at borders and around airports.
When the 18th Amendment prohibited Alcohol in 1919 it produced a new, illegal industry and related violence that lead to the passage of the 21st Amendment in 1933, repealing that Amendment.
Much of what you fear seems reasonably likely to me, I think we are going to see huge upheavals coming. The fanatical conservative nationalistic evangelical groups are often the epitome of hypocrisy, don't abort the unborn but feel free to bomb and maim young children in other countries, no evangelical I ever met expressed any concern over bombing or starving children in Vietnam, Iraq etc, in fact many of them applaud such actions.

Diogenes
Guru

Post #3

Post by Diogenes »

Inquirer wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:43 am Much of what you fear seems reasonably likely to me, I think we are going to see huge upheavals coming. The fanatical conservative nationalistic evangelical groups are often the epitome of hypocrisy, don't abort the unborn but feel free to bomb and maim young children in other countries, no evangelical I ever met expressed any concern over bombing or starving children in Vietnam, Iraq etc, in fact many of them applaud such actions.
It's a good thing women tend to be much less violent than men, but I fear this will fuel the crazies on both sides.
The Texas abortion 'bounty' law will likely exacerbate the problem.
Texas officials wrote the law to encourage vigilantes — legally. An unprecedented provision within the abortion ban emboldens ordinary citizens to enforce it. In fact, the abortion ban offers a cash incentive to people who file lawsuits against someone they think is breaking the law.
https://www.plannedparenthoodaction.org ... aw-in-2021

Although I agree with you about the hypocrisy of many evangelicals supporting war, there has been a long, if unpopular, tradition in some churches to oppose wars and support conscientious objectors. The church I grew up in officially supported their members who refused to go to Vietnam. Sadly, most of the congregation supported the 'conflict.'

— Confucius

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by Inquirer »

Diogenes wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:13 pm
Inquirer wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:43 am Much of what you fear seems reasonably likely to me, I think we are going to see huge upheavals coming. The fanatical conservative nationalistic evangelical groups are often the epitome of hypocrisy, don't abort the unborn but feel free to bomb and maim young children in other countries, no evangelical I ever met expressed any concern over bombing or starving children in Vietnam, Iraq etc, in fact many of them applaud such actions.
It's a good thing women tend to be much less violent than men, but I fear this will fuel the crazies on both sides.
The Texas abortion 'bounty' law will likely exacerbate the problem.
Texas officials wrote the law to encourage vigilantes — legally. An unprecedented provision within the abortion ban emboldens ordinary citizens to enforce it. In fact, the abortion ban offers a cash incentive to people who file lawsuits against someone they think is breaking the law.
https://www.plannedparenthoodaction.org ... aw-in-2021

Although I agree with you about the hypocrisy of many evangelicals supporting war, there has been a long, if unpopular, tradition in some churches to oppose wars and support conscientious objectors. The church I grew up in officially supported their members who refused to go to Vietnam. Sadly, most of the congregation supported the 'conflict.'
Yes that's true, not all Christians act that way, for example the Quakers (that oft overlooked group who where prevalent when the US broke away from Britain) quite unlike the Puritans.

Miles
Savant

Post #5

Post by Miles »

Diogenes wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:38 am Roe v. Wade has been overturned today.

Don't know what your idea of "civil unrest" is, but to me it suggests violence to some degree, which I don't see happening. As for disrespect for the Supreme Court, IMO, as it's now constituted The SCOTUS has already invited disrespect and has along way to go before regaining the respect it once had.
As long as there are states that are free to manufacture and distribute abortion pills there will be easy ways to sidestep the ban, and without the kind of violence created by the prohibition of alcohol.

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by Inquirer »

Miles wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:20 pm

Don't know what your idea of "civil unrest" is, but to me it suggests violence to some degree, which I don't see happening. As for disrespect for the Supreme Court, IMO, as it's now constituted The SCOTUS has already invited disrespect and has along way to go before regaining the respect it once had.
As long as there are states that are free to manufacture and distribute abortion pills there will be easy ways to sidestep the ban, and without the kind of violence created by the prohibition of alcohol.

Yes there are always ways to "sidestep" the law and if caught go to prison just as was the case with alcohol prohibition, when there's an illegal profit to be made there'll be violence.

Diogenes
Guru

Post #7

Post by Diogenes »

Miles wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:20 pm Don't know what your idea of "civil unrest" is, but to me it suggests violence to some degree, which I don't see happening. As for disrespect for the Supreme Court, IMO, as it's now constituted The SCOTUS has already invited disrespect and has along way to go before regaining the respect it once had.
I agree with the idea there will not as much violence as we had during prohibition. The two eras are dissimilar in several respects. The fuel for violence during prohibition was the profit from selling illegal booze, protecting turf, and evading law enforcement. Also, although men are affected by Dobbs too, women are the main victims and they tend to be much less violent than men.

Perhaps the main effect of the 'new prohibition' will be centered around enforcement. Anytime laws deny behavior a large percentage of the population thinks should not be proscribed, there are huge enforcement problems. Those will include unequal enforcement against the poor and those less able to evade the law secretly.

It's going to be a mess. The new prohibition will eventually be repealed, either by a future Supreme Court or by legislation. A Constitutional Amendment is probably less likely.

— Confucius

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #8

Post by Jose Fly »

As bad as this ruling is, Justice Thomas' concurring opinion makes one thing clear....this court is just getting started. The court has already expanded gun access and chipped away at the separation of church and state. I won't be surprised if, in the Kennedy v Bremerton School Dist case, this court declares that there is no separation of church and state.

Next up, bans on contraception, same-sex marriage, criminalization of homosexuality, and possibly even interracial marriage (as one Republican politician advocated).

As one commenter noted, this is a SCOTUS with a majority that was appointed by two Presidents who lost the popular vote and confirmed by a Senate that provides disproportionate representation to a minority of voters.

This is only going to get worse.
Being apathetic is great....or not. I don't really care.

RightReason
Under Probation

Post #9

Post by RightReason »

[Replying to Diogenes in post #1]
The question for debate is whether this sweeping decision allowing the States to outlaw abortion will lead to civil unrest and disrespect for the Court.
If it does, it will be praised. No one will consider it violence against our governing body. No one will be accused of insurrection. Funny that.

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by Inquirer »

I was stunned by Rusty Bowers, there I was watching him express highly principled opinions about refusing to abuse his oath and uphold the constitution despite vile coercion from Giuliani and gun toting nutjobs, only to learn later that he would STILL vote for Trump if he were running. Things really are insane in this country just now.