Zygote

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Zygote

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Every cell in my 47 year old body is doing its best to keep me alive and to divide and split and produce me. This happened from cell 1 to cell 37.2 trillion. All of them, following their programming and making me ongoingly across time.

How is the zygote of a human not a human again?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Wootah
Savant

Re: Zygote

Post #31

Post by Wootah »

Athetotheist wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:36 am [Replying to Wootah in post #28
Can the cells of a human zygote at t=0 propagate over time to not be a human? Is that a true statement?
That isn't a statement; it's a question. So the next question is, "Over how much time must a zygote propagate to become human?" Not just human material, but a human being?
Your question makes no sense. Let's work backwards.

t= now (are you human? Are you you?)
t= yesterday (are you human? Are you you?)
t= 0 ....

I'll be honest I'll only respond to your next post in this thread if it is actually a defeater for my argument.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #32

Post by Athetotheist »

Wootah wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:24 am
Athetotheist wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:36 am [Replying to Wootah in post #28
Can the cells of a human zygote at t=0 propagate over time to not be a human? Is that a true statement?
That isn't a statement; it's a question. So the next question is, "Over how much time must a zygote propagate to become human?" Not just human material, but a human being?

t= 0 ....

I'll be honest I'll only respond to your next post in this thread if it is actually a defeater for my argument.
If the information I cited in post #8 isn't a defeater for your argument, then you should stop quoting the Bible after your posts. If you don't see fit to respond, then thank you for having the courtesy to leave me the last word.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #33

Post by Difflugia »

Wootah wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:24 am
Athetotheist wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:36 amThat isn't a statement; it's a question. So the next question is, "Over how much time must a zygote propagate to become human?" Not just human material, but a human being?

t= 0 ....

This is the problem with unmoderated debate. Athetotheist's question makes sense, is absolutely relevant to your argument, and defeats it. Your response is to simply deny it.

You've distilled your own argument down to the simplest expression of a particular logical fallacy, the fallacy of the heap. If I start with a heap of sand and subtract one grain at a time, after which grain did my collection of grains stop being a heap? You've simplified the argument so that there's nothing left but a logical fallacy. It's defeated.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

historia
Prodigy

Post #34

Post by historia »

Athetotheist wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:49 am
Wootah wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:57 pm
Fairly sure the rules say posting links and videos is not debating.
I've noticed that posting links and videos is a common practice around here, and quoting sources to back up a position most certainly is debating.
But you didn't make an argument and then quote the video to back you up. You just posted a link to a video saying this was your argument. That is not debating.

Out of curiosity, what did you want for us to take from that video anyway?

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #35

Post by Athetotheist »

historia wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:27 pm
Athetotheist wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:49 am
Wootah wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:57 pm
Fairly sure the rules say posting links and videos is not debating.
I've noticed that posting links and videos is a common practice around here, and quoting sources to back up a position most certainly is debating.
But you didn't make an argument and then quote the video to back you up. You just posted a link to a video saying this was your argument. That is not debating.

I posted the video to address the initial argument which, it's fairly evident, is that a human zygote is a fully human being and, therefore, should never be aborted.

historia
Prodigy

Post #36

Post by historia »

Athetotheist wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:52 pm
I posted the video to address the initial argument which, it's fairly evident, is that a human zygote is a fully human being and, therefore, should never be aborted.
That tells me why you posted it. But what did you want for us to take away from the video?

Wootah
Savant

Post #37

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to Difflugia in post #33]

Now that is a contributing post. Seems like your link is not a fallacy but a paradox.

Edit: I'm not committing the fallacy, you guys are. For you, at some random point the cells have value or no value. I am saying the heap is human the whole time.

The difference is that the sand is not ongoingly overtime a heap. Ongoingly, over time, I am me.

Plus living things and non living things seems an important difference. You can't kill a heap of sand.

I know there is a fallacy of composition but not sure it applies.
Last edited by Wootah on Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wootah
Savant

Post #38

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to Athetotheist in post #32]

Fyi - It's a signature you can set up and switch off in settings I believe so you don't have to see them.

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #39

Post by Athetotheist »

historia wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:50 pm
Athetotheist wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:52 pm
That tells me why you posted it. But what did you want for us to take away from the video?
I was pointing out that there is a lack of sectarian evidence to support the initial argument.

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #40

Post by Athetotheist »

Wootah wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:09 am [Replying to Athetotheist in post #32]

Fyi - It's a signature you can set up and switch off in settings I believe so you don't have to see them.
The point isn't that I can see it; the point is that you have it there, presumably for it to be seen.