Zygote

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Zygote

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Every cell in my 47 year old body is doing its best to keep me alive and to divide and split and produce me. This happened from cell 1 to cell 37.2 trillion. All of them, following their programming and making me ongoingly across time.

How is the zygote of a human not a human again?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Re: Zygote

Post #61

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Wootah wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:24 am
Athetotheist wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:16 am Speaking of life being unsafe, you never answered Joey's cancer cells questions, did you?
Edge cases don't matter really. It is clear that as we amass more cells we can live without some of them.
Then what was all that about "every" cell?

In considering this now, there's some relation to a woman having unwanted cancer cells, and unwanted zygootic cells.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Wootah
Savant

Post #62

Post by Wootah »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:34 am
Athetotheist wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:16 am Speaking of life being unsafe, you never answered Joey's cancer cells questions, did you?
Edge cases don't matter really. It is clear that as we amass more cells we can live without some of them.

In considering this now, there's some relation to a woman having unwanted cancer cells, and unwanted zygootic cells.
For clarity - did you say earlier the zygote in question is a human zygote or not?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #63

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Wootah wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:01 am
JoeyKnothead wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:34 am

For clarity - did you say earlier the zygote in question is a human zygote or not?
Sure, human zygote.

You seem to imply some human cells are worthy of getting rid of, while maybe others ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #64

Post by Purple Knight »

Wootah wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:21 pm Every cell in my 47 year old body is doing its best to keep me alive and to divide and split and produce me. This happened from cell 1 to cell 37.2 trillion. All of them, following their programming and making me ongoingly across time.

And what if it is a human? Your consciousness, without any of your cells, is the real you, ne? Your soul? If I mindswap you with a chicken, and kill your body while it has a chicken in it, is that the huge deal or is it the huge deal if I kill the chicken while it has your mind in it?

I understand this is fantasy, but it says something that my way provides an answer to who has rights here that clearly scans (Prince Merkimer, due to his consciousness, must be protected despite being in a pig's body) while simply focusing on whether a textbook defines it as a human (regardless of consciousness) has the pro-life side protecting Merkimer's wallowing, oinking body and permissibly hunting down the real prince for his pork chops because he now tastes very good and isn't technically a human anymore.

Wootah
Savant

Post #65

Post by Wootah »

Purple Knight wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:16 pm
Wootah wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:21 pm Every cell in my 47 year old body is doing its best to keep me alive and to divide and split and produce me. This happened from cell 1 to cell 37.2 trillion. All of them, following their programming and making me ongoingly across time.

And what if it is a human? Your consciousness, without any of your cells, is the real you, ne? Your soul? If I mindswap you with a chicken, and kill your body while it has a chicken in it, is that the huge deal or is it the huge deal if I kill the chicken while it has your mind in it?

I understand this is fantasy, but it says something that my way provides an answer to who has rights here that clearly scans (Prince Merkimer, due to his consciousness, must be protected despite being in a pig's body) while simply focusing on whether a textbook defines it as a human (regardless of consciousness) has the pro-life side protecting Merkimer's wallowing, oinking body and permissibly hunting down the real prince for his pork chops because he now tastes very good and isn't technically a human anymore.
Prove consciousness exists. Then prove it is relevant. My instinct (lol) is that consciousness is a massive red herring.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #66

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Wootah wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:40 am Prove consciousness exists. Then prove it is relevant. My instinct (lol) is that consciousness is a massive red herring.
Consciousness is what has you asking about it.
-Punkinhead Martin

Wootah
Savant

Post #67

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #66]

It's a red herring. Atheists do it all the time. We don't believe in God because we can't see hear feel or touch God but hey we want to kill babies because ... consciousness.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #68

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Wootah wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:41 pm [Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #66]

It's a red herring. Atheists do it all the time. We don't believe in God because we can't see hear feel or touch God but hey we want to kill babies because ... consciousness.
I've never, until you mentioned it, heard tell of anyone wanting to kill a baby cause it was conscious.
-Punkinhead Martin

Wootah
Savant

Post #69

Post by Wootah »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:07 pm

I've never, until you mentioned it, heard tell of anyone wanting to kill a baby cause it was conscious.
Because you think a metaphysical concept such as consciousness exists and you can work out what things are conscious and not then you can work out when to kill a baby.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #70

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Wootah wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:16 pm
JoeyKnothead wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:07 pm

Because you think a metaphysical concept such as consciousness exists and you can work out what things are conscious and not then you can work out when to kill a baby.
Can you rephrase that for me, please. Like I'm five.
-Punkinhead Martin