Personal safety

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

Rose2020
Scholar

Personal safety

Post #1

Post by Rose2020 »

So, there are women who book a man to come to their home and massage them while alone! Then are horrified when assaulted. BBC News is covering several reports of serious sexual assaults in cases like these.

This to me seems the same as leaving your home doors and windows open, then being amazed when things are stolen while you are out or asleep.

Am I missing something here? I had no idea a woman would ever book a man to do this at all, let alone in her own home. At least have a friend with you, if you really cannot live without a massage. Or best of all, go to a beauticians, book only women for women for such an intimate thing.
Call me old fashioned if you like but I am of a generation where common sense was employed.

Tcg
Savant

Re: Personal safety

Post #2

Post by Tcg »

Rose2020 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:32 pm So, there are women who book a man to come to their home and massage them while alone! Then are horrified when assaulted. BBC News is covering several reports of serious sexual assaults in cases like these.

This to me seems the same as leaving your home doors and windows open, then being amazed when things are stolen while you are out or asleep.

Am I missing something here? I had no idea a woman would ever book a man to do this at all, let alone in her own home. At least have a friend with you, if you really cannot live without a massage. Or best of all, go to a beauticians, book only women for women for such an intimate thing.
Call me old fashioned if you like but I am of a generation where common sense was employed.
Are all victims guilty of all the crimes committed against them or only some of the crimes?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #3

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Tcg in post #2] no

Crime is crime, it will happen. But no need to help it along and leave yourself open to it. Use the brain God gave you.

Tcg
Savant

Post #4

Post by Tcg »

Rose2020 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:13 pm [Replying to Tcg in post #2] no

Crime is crime, it will happen. But no need to help it along and leave yourself open to it. Use the brain God gave you.
When did God pass out brains?

Skipping that irrelevance, leaving your house unlocked is not the same as hiring someone to come to one's house to perform a service. Folks do so quite regularly. HVAC technicians. Plumbers. Exterminators. Painters. Appliance installers. Doing so is not asking to be victimized.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by Difflugia »

Tcg wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:09 pmDoing so is not asking to be victimized.
Were they dressed provocatively?
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #6

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Tcg in post #4]

Not many jobs involve being undressed alone with a stranger. I've never heard of such a fool thing.

Tcg
Savant

Post #7

Post by Tcg »

Rose2020 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:31 pm [Replying to Tcg in post #4]

Not many jobs involve being undressed alone with a stranger. I've never heard of such a fool thing.
So, this explains why you are surprised that, "Then are horrified when assaulted." Do we deserve to be assaulted if we disrobe for a doctor's examination or before surgery? I'd expect anyone to be horrified if they are assaulted no matter where it happens. Unless of course they themselves think that they as the victim are responsible for the crime. Are you suggesting that is the case in these incidents?

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #8

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Tcg in post #7]

No. It is a crime and the fault is the criminal's. Yet if it happens, there would be no proof, so no real chance of punishment in law. Also, the male masseur is open to false accusations.

There are degrees of danger we all should think about. I'm sure you wouldn't suggest we take no precautions to prevent bad things happening.

Tcg
Savant

Post #9

Post by Tcg »

Rose2020 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:49 pm [Replying to Tcg in post #7]

No. It is a crime and the fault is the criminal's.
Yes, and no one else's.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

help3434
Guru

Post #10

Post by help3434 »

Tcg wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:09 pm Folks do so quite regularly. HVAC technicians. Plumbers. Exterminators. Painters. Appliance installers.

Tcg
I would presume those people usually have employers who know who they are and where they are going, which would be a at least a bit of a deterrent against assaulting customers.