Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Brightfame52
Sage

Jesus is God and Why !

Post #1

Post by Brightfame52 »

Matt 19:16-26

16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,

19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

20 The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?

21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.

23 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.

24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

25 When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?

26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

This passage actually is teaching the Truth that Jesus is God ! Notice vs 17 As the young man had addressed Jesus as good, and Jesus responded accordingly, why callest thou me good, for none is good but ONE, that One Being God

Now , notice Jesus did not say, none is good but One and that is my Father, but He said that One, Being God !

Now if Jesus by this is not insinuating that He is God, then the alternative is that He was not good, seeing He just said only ONE, not Two, but ONLY ONE is good.

Now, if Jesus was not good, being that He was not the Only One Good God, then His commanding him, the young ruler, in order to be perfect, that he must go sell all his possessions, then give to the poor, and follow Him; Such an commandment exposed that the young man loved his possessions above God, which was a violation of the very first commandment, now if Jesus was not God, then the young mans refusal to obey and follow Jesus, could not be a proper standard to gauge his Love to God !

For there could not have been nothing amiss about not making such a great sacrifice as that Jesus told him, and then following Him if the One speaking was not the One God, who Only was good !

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Re: Jesus is God and Why !

Post #321

Post by boatsnguitars »

Atheist here. Loving this whole conversation. It's been 2000 years and Christians still can't get on the same page, and still take this so seriously that they want people to burn in Hell for not believing what they believe.

I just wish you'd all keep it to forums and not let it bleed into real life. The rest of us would really appreciate it if religious extremists would remove themselves from society.

But, hey, after you decide what the Bible says about the matter, then you'll have to wrestle with the idea that the Bible was editted over time, and may not even be accurate with anything it claims.

Sigh, Paul was right. Christians are to be the most pitied people...
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

Brightfame52
Sage

Post #322

Post by Brightfame52 »

[Replying to 1213 in post #320]

It makes no difference. All things were created for Him as well, thats God Rev 4:11

11 Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

Col 1:16

16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #323

Post by boatsnguitars »

1213 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:15 am
Brightfame52 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:03 am ...
This passage actually is teaching the Truth that Jesus is God ! ...
I think that is a wrong interpretation, because Jesus says that there is only one true God that is greater than him.

This is eternal life, that they should know you, the only true God, and him whom you sent, Jesus Christ.
John 17:3

the Father is greater than I.
John 14:28

Which is also confirmed by Paul who says:

For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,
1 Timothy 2:5
Out of curiosity, why couldn't it be that there are other options?
For example, that Jesus was just a guy who said a bunch of things, people interpreted them and changed them over time before they were written down, and in the loss of translation or game of telephone, things were muddied. Some people thought he was God, others didn't, but in reality, we have no idea what Jesus said?

I know most scholars think this way, but it appears the hyper-religious have a feeling of ownership over the Bible, according to their interpretation. Which is how John, Luke, Paul, etc. must have felt. They must have been like all of you - passionately believing they had the right interpretation, and then wrote about it.

I'm not clear on why so many hyper-religious people feel the need to be so, or feel the need to properly interpret a book that has resisted a single interpretation for 2000 years. Especially when they have far less education than the experts.

Can someone weigh in on why this discussion still rages on after all this time, and seems to only occur between the less educated? (No offense, but I doubt most of you have studied the Bible in a rigorous way for years, understand Koine Greek, etc. In fact, some of you may have not even read the entire Bible.)
― Omar Khayyâm

Savant

Post #324

Post by 1213 »

boatsnguitars wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 12:15 am ....Out of curiosity, why couldn't it be that there are other options?
For example, that Jesus was just a guy who said a bunch of things, ...
If Jesus would have been just a guy who said a bunch of things, I don't think we would have the Bible attributing the words for Jesus. The reason is, guys with a bunch of things are normally lost in history and nothing that they said remains, especially not for thousands of years.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #325

Post by boatsnguitars »

1213 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 4:12 am
boatsnguitars wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 12:15 am ....Out of curiosity, why couldn't it be that there are other options?
For example, that Jesus was just a guy who said a bunch of things, ...
If Jesus would have been just a guy who said a bunch of things, I don't think we would have the Bible attributing the words for Jesus. The reason is, guys with a bunch of things are normally lost in history and nothing that they said remains, especially not for thousands of years.
The OT was around longer than the NT... Just one example

Homer (c. 8th century BCE) - Greek epic poet, best known for the Iliad and the Odyssey
Confucius (551-479 BCE) - Chinese philosopher and teacher, known for his ethical teachings and the Analects
Lao Tzu (c. 6th century BCE) - Chinese philosopher and writer, traditionally credited as the founder of Taoism and author of the Tao Te Ching
Aesop (c. 6th century BCE) - Greek fabulist, known for his fables featuring animals with human characteristics
Hesiod (c. 8th century BCE) - Greek poet and writer, known for his works on mythology and farming, including the Theogony and Works and Days
Sappho (c. 630-570 BCE) - Greek lyric poet, known for her poems about love and beauty
Euripides (c. 480-406 BCE) - Greek playwright, known for his tragedies such as Medea and The Bacchae
Thucydides (c. 460-400 BCE) - Greek historian, known for his detailed account of the Peloponnesian War in his History of the Peloponnesian War
Plato (c. 428/427-348/347 BCE) - Greek philosopher and student of Socrates, known for his philosophical dialogues, including the Republic and the Symposium.
Aeschylus (5th century BCE) - playwright and author of the Oresteia trilogy
Sophocles (5th century BCE) - playwright and author of Oedipus Rex and Antigone
Euripides (5th century BCE) - playwright and author of Medea and The Bacchae
Aristotle (4th century BCE) - philosopher and author of Nicomachean Ethics and Politics
Virgil (1st century BCE) - poet and author of the Aeneid
Ovid (1st century CE) - poet and author of Metamorphoses
The Buddha (563 BCE – 483 BCE), an Indian prince and philosopher who founded Buddhism and whose teachings were compiled into the Buddhist scriptures known as the "Tripitaka".
Vyasa (circa 3rd millennium BCE), an Indian sage who is said to have written the Hindu epic poem "Mahabharata".
Valmiki (circa 3rd millennium BCE), an Indian sage who is said to have written the Hindu epic poem "Ramayana".
Ptahhotep (circa 24th century BCE), an Egyptian vizier and sage who wrote "The Maxims of Ptahhotep", a collection of wisdom sayings and advice.
Enheduanna (circa 23rd century BCE), a Sumerian high priestess and poet who is credited with writing some of the earliest known poetry in history.

And, considering how rare writing was in those days, and how little we'd have of their work, it's a pretty long list.

Are you going to argue they were all divine, too?
― Omar Khayyâm

kjw47
Under Probation

Post #326

Post by kjw47 »

Brightfame52 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:03 am Matt 19:16-26

16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,

19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

20 The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?

21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.

23 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.

24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

25 When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?

26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

This passage actually is teaching the Truth that Jesus is God ! Notice vs 17 As the young man had addressed Jesus as good, and Jesus responded accordingly, why callest thou me good, for none is good but ONE, that One Being God

Now , notice Jesus did not say, none is good but One and that is my Father, but He said that One, Being God !

Now if Jesus by this is not insinuating that He is God, then the alternative is that He was not good, seeing He just said only ONE, not Two, but ONLY ONE is good.

Now, if Jesus was not good, being that He was not the Only One Good God, then His commanding him, the young ruler, in order to be perfect, that he must go sell all his possessions, then give to the poor, and follow Him; Such an commandment exposed that the young man loved his possessions above God, which was a violation of the very first commandment, now if Jesus was not God, then the young mans refusal to obey and follow Jesus, could not be a proper standard to gauge his Love to God !

For there could not have been nothing amiss about not making such a great sacrifice as that Jesus told him, and then following Him if the One speaking was not the One God, who Only was good !

Jesus answers your error in thinking--John 20:17, Rev 3:12--as do his real teachers-Coll 1:3 2 Cor 1:3, 1 Cor 15:24-28, Eph 1:3,17--1 Peter 1:3--as does the psalmist-Psalm 45:7.
Gods word doesn't teach 2 different truths, unfortunately trinity translations do.

Brightfame52
Sage

Post #327

Post by Brightfame52 »

1Jn 5:20 declares Jesus the Son is the True God,

20 And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.

Son of God, who is the immediate antecedent to the relative pronoun "this"; he is the true God,205

onewithhim
Savant

Post #328

Post by onewithhim »

Brightfame52 wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 7:45 am 1Jn 5:20 declares Jesus the Son is the True God,

20 And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.

Son of God, who is the immediate antecedent to the relative pronoun "this"; he is the true God,205
IJohn 5:20 does not declare that Jesus is God. Noooo. It says: "We know that the Son of God has come, and he has given us the intellectual capacity that we may gain knowledge of the true one [The Father, Jehovah]. And we are in union with the true one, [Jehovah] by means of his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God and life everlasting." Why do you say that "the true God" is said here to be Jesus? It is referring to the Father, God, whom Jesus said was "the only true God." (John 17:3)

Brightfame52
Sage

Post #329

Post by Brightfame52 »

onewithhim
IJohn 5:20 does not declare that Jesus is God. Noooo.
Yes it does. And I told you why duh

onewithhim
Savant

Post #330

Post by onewithhim »

Brightfame52 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 1:28 pm onewithhim
IJohn 5:20 does not declare that Jesus is God. Noooo.
Yes it does. And I told you why duh
Well you are not right. IJohn 5:20 brings our attention back to the only true God, the Father. He is mentioned in this verse. It is not all about the Son, Jesus Christ.