Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Brightfame52
Sage

Jesus is God and Why !

Post #1

Post by Brightfame52 »

Matt 19:16-26

16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,

19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

20 The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?

21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.

23 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.

24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

25 When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?

26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

This passage actually is teaching the Truth that Jesus is God ! Notice vs 17 As the young man had addressed Jesus as good, and Jesus responded accordingly, why callest thou me good, for none is good but ONE, that One Being God

Now , notice Jesus did not say, none is good but One and that is my Father, but He said that One, Being God !

Now if Jesus by this is not insinuating that He is God, then the alternative is that He was not good, seeing He just said only ONE, not Two, but ONLY ONE is good.

Now, if Jesus was not good, being that He was not the Only One Good God, then His commanding him, the young ruler, in order to be perfect, that he must go sell all his possessions, then give to the poor, and follow Him; Such an commandment exposed that the young man loved his possessions above God, which was a violation of the very first commandment, now if Jesus was not God, then the young mans refusal to obey and follow Jesus, could not be a proper standard to gauge his Love to God !

For there could not have been nothing amiss about not making such a great sacrifice as that Jesus told him, and then following Him if the One speaking was not the One God, who Only was good !

Brightfame52
Sage

Re: Jesus is God and Why !

Post #231

Post by Brightfame52 »

Jesus is God by Authority of Apostolic Testimony !3

Now John stated to believers, that we know that the Son of God has come and has given us a Understanding to know Him that is True !

1 Jn 5:20

20 And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.

Now if we apply the " Him that is True" to the Father, thats fine, no argument, but if to the Son, its fine and no argument because the same phrase is used in another John writing and is specifically applied to Jesus the Son, Rev 3:7

7 And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write; These things saith he that is holy, he that is true, he that hath the key of David, he that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth;

I argue that the " He that is True " is the same in both texts !

He that is True in 1 Jn 5:20 is Ton Alethino :

οἴδαμεν δὲ ὅτι ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ Θεοῦ ἥκει, καὶ δέδωκεν ἡμῖν διάνοιαν ἵνα γινώσκωμεν τὸν ἀληθινόν καί ἐσμεν ἐν τῷ ἀληθινῷ, ἐν τῷ υἱῷ αὐτοῦ Ἰησοῦ Χριστῷ οὗτός ἐστιν ὁ ἀληθινὸς Θεὸς, καὶ ἡ ζωὴ αἰώνιος

And in Rev 3:7 its Ho Alethinos :

Καὶ τῷ ἀγγέλῳ τῆς ἐν Φιλαδελφείᾳ ἐκκλησίας γράψον Τάδε λέγει ὁ ἅγιος ὁ ἀληθινός ὁ ἔχων τὴν κλεῖδα τοῦ Δαβίδ, ὁ ἀνοίγων καὶ οὐδεὶς κλείει, καὶ κλείει καὶ οὐδεὶς ἀνοίγει

So whether we choose to understand John in 1 Jn 5:20 to be referring to the Father as the "Him that is True" or the Son, both facts are True and both are qualified by the definite article to denote there is only ONE " He or Him that is True !

The Phrase therefore applies to the Father and the Son, this is what Apostolic Teaching makes known ! 61

Savant

Post #232

Post by 1213 »

MissKate13 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:18 am Do you believe Psalm 110:1 makes Zechariah 12:10 false?

Aren’t you curious as to why YHWH would say “they will look on Me whom they have pierced?” YHWH is saying He was pierced, but we know that it was Jesus whose side was pierced. How would you explain this?
I don't think anything in the Bible is false. If Zechariah 12:10 is really God speaking, then one way to see it is by this:

“The King will answer them, ‘Most assuredly I tell you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers [The word for “brothers” here may be also correctly translated “brothers and sisters” or “siblings.”], you did it to me.’ Then he will say also to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire which is prepared for the devil and his angels; for I was hungry, and you didn’t give me food to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave me no drink; I was a stranger, and you didn’t take me in; naked, and you didn’t clothe me; sick, and in prison, and you didn’t visit me.’ “Then they will also answer, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and didn’t help you?’ “Then he will answer them, saying, ‘Most assuredly I tell you, inasmuch as you didn’t do it to one of the least of these, you didn’t do it to me.’
Matt. 25:40-45

Most assuredly I tell you, he who receives whomever I send, receives me; and he who receives me, receives him who sent me.”
John 13:20

Because of these, everything people do to Jesus, they do also to God. And also, everything you do to disciples of Jesus, that are sent by Jesus, you do also to God.

Brightfame52
Sage

Post #233

Post by Brightfame52 »

Jesus is God by Authority of Apostolic Testimony !4

1 Jn 5:20

20 And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.

The Apostolic testimony goes on to say of Believers, We are in Him that is True, which again can apply to either the Father or the Son, in fact the Father has Chosen all believers in His Son the Lord Jesus Christ before the foundation Eph 1:3-4

3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:

4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

And yet the scripture teaches that the Church is in God the Father as well 1 Thess 1:1

Paul, and Silvanus, and Timotheus, unto the church of the Thessalonians which is in God the Father and in the Lord Jesus Christ: Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Now we are in Him that is True, whether the Father or the Son, Even" in his Son Jesus Christ"

THIS IS THE TRUE GOD AND ETERNAL LIFE !

MissKate13
Sage

Post #234

Post by MissKate13 »

1213 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:20 am
MissKate13 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:18 am Do you believe Psalm 110:1 makes Zechariah 12:10 false?

Aren’t you curious as to why YHWH would say “they will look on Me whom they have pierced?” YHWH is saying He was pierced, but we know that it was Jesus whose side was pierced. How would you explain this?
I don't think anything in the Bible is false. If Zechariah 12:10 is really God speaking, then one way to see it is by this:

“The King will answer them, ‘Most assuredly I tell you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers [The word for “brothers” here may be also correctly translated “brothers and sisters” or “siblings.”], you did it to me.’ Then he will say also to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire which is prepared for the devil and his angels; for I was hungry, and you didn’t give me food to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave me no drink; I was a stranger, and you didn’t take me in; naked, and you didn’t clothe me; sick, and in prison, and you didn’t visit me.’ “Then they will also answer, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and didn’t help you?’ “Then he will answer them, saying, ‘Most assuredly I tell you, inasmuch as you didn’t do it to one of the least of these, you didn’t do it to me.’
Matt. 25:40-45

Most assuredly I tell you, he who receives whomever I send, receives me; and he who receives me, receives him who sent me.”
John 13:20

Because of these, everything people do to Jesus, they do also to God. And also, everything you do to disciples of Jesus, that are sent by Jesus, you do also to God.
Good post!

However, there is no question who the speaker is in Zechariah 12:10. He is YHWH. Who but YHWH will pour out the Spirit of grace on the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem?

Who was pierced? Jesus was (John 19:34).

10“And I will pour on the house of David and on the inhabitants of Jerusalem the Spirit of grace and supplication; then they will look on Me whom they pierced.” (Zechariah 12:10)

1. YHWH says they will look on Me whom they pierced.
2. Jesus was pierced.
3. Therefore Jesus is YHWH.
”For unless you believe that I am, you will die in your sins.” (John 8:24

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #235

Post by Eloi »

The NT is full of statements showing that Jesus received all authority from God. He himself said it after he was resurrected:

Matt. 28:18 (...) “All authority has been given me in heaven and on the earth. (...)"

Can God receive authority from someone?

Acts 3:13 The God of Abraham and of Isaac and of Jacob, the God of our forefathers, has glorified his Servant, Jesus (...)

Phil. 2:9 (...) God exalted him to a superior position and kindly gave him the name that is above every other name, 10 so that in the name of Jesus every knee should bend—of those in heaven and those on earth and those under the ground— 11 and every tongue should openly acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father.

Savant

Post #236

Post by 1213 »

MissKate13 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:37 am ...
2. Jesus was pierced.
Sorry, Bible tells God is greater than Jesus. It says also that Jesus is the image of God and that God dwells in Jesus.

...the Father is greater than I.
John 14:28

If Jesus is YHWH, who is the Father that is greater than him?

in whom we have our redemption, the forgiveness of our sins; who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. For by him were all things created, in the heavens and on the earth, things visible and things invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers; all things have been created through him, and for him.
Colossians 1:14-16

If Jesus is YHWH, how is he the image of God?

Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? The words that I tell you, I speak not from myself; but the Father who lives in me does his works. Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me; or else believe me for the very works' sake. ...
John 14:10-14

For in him all the fullness of the Godhead dwells bodily,
Colossians 2:9

If we believe Jesus, God dwells in him. That is why I think it can be said that they also pierced God, because both of them were there.

Miles
Savant

Post #237

Post by Miles »

1213 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:05 am
MissKate13 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:37 am ...
2. Jesus was pierced.
Sorry, Bible tells God is greater than Jesus. It says also that Jesus is the image of God and that God dwells in Jesus.
Yet we read:

1 John 5:20
"And we know that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true; and we are in him who is true, in his Son Jesus Christ. He [Jesus] is the true God and eternal life."

John 10:30
I [Jesus] and the Father are one.”

John 20:28

Thomas answered him [Jesus], “My Lord and my God!”

Hebrews 1:8
But this is what he [god] said about his Son: “God, your kingdom will last forever and ever. You use your authority for justice.

Matthew 1:23

“Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and they shall call his name Immanuel” (which means, God with us).

Revelation 22:13
[Jesus speaking]I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end.”

Savant

Post #238

Post by 1213 »

Miles wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:34 am Yet we read:
"And we know that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true; and we are in him who is true, in his Son Jesus Christ. He [Jesus] is the true God and eternal life."
Why do you add the word Jesus in there where it is not? I think it is wrong.
Miles wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:34 am John 10:30

Same way as disciples of Jesus are one with God.

I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, keep them through your name which you have given me, that they may be one, even as we are.
John 17:11

that they may all be one; even as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be one in us; that the world may believe that you sent me.
John 17:21
Miles wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:34 amThomas answered him [Jesus], “My Lord and my God!”
By what Jesus tells, God dwells in him. So, God and Jesus both were there.
Miles wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:34 amMatthew 1:23
“Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and they shall call his name Immanuel” (which means, God with us).
By what Jesus tells, God dwells in him. So, if Jesus is in the house, so is God who is in Jesus, which is why it can be said God with us.

But, God called also Moses god (Ex. 7:1). That is why I don'ts see any problem in that if Jesus is called also a god. However, disciples of Jesus should understand this:

Therefore concerning the eating of things sacrificed to idols, we know that no idol is anything in the world, and that there is no other God but one. For though there are things that are called "gods," whether in the heavens or on earth; as there are many "gods" and many "lords;" yet to us there is one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we for him; and one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom are all things, and we live through him.
1 Corinthians 8:4-6

For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,
1 Timothy 2:5

Miles
Savant

Post #239

Post by Miles »

1213 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:42 am
Miles wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:34 am Yet we read:
Why do you add the word Jesus in there where it is not? I think it is wrong.
Words put in brackets within a quote aren't meant to "add" to the quote itself, but serve an explanatory function. If you noticed I did it with almost all the quotes so as to highlight the referent and make sure there's not doubt who I see as the subject of the pronoun.

Miles wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:34 am John 10:30

Same way as disciples of Jesus are one with God.
Is there someplace where the disciples say "I and the Father are one”? If not, then there's no "same way."

Miles wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:34 amThomas answered him [Jesus], “My Lord and my God!”
By what Jesus tells, God dwells in him. So, God and Jesus both were there.
Just pointing out that even Thomas recognized Jesus as god.

Miles wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:34 amMatthew 1:23
“Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and they shall call his name Immanuel” (which means, God (is) with us).
If Jesus wasn't identical to god why would god, through the prophet, say to name him such?

And just as a piece of information, I added the "(is)" because in many Bibles this is how it's put: "which means, God is with us."

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #240

Post by Eloi »

Miles wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:15 pm (...) even Thomas recognized Jesus as god. (...)
That is false.

He said "My Lord and my God" when talking to Jesus ... I can say the same when talking to you.