Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

Rose2020
Scholar

Anger

Post #1

Post by Rose2020 »

Are you an angry person?

The Bible warns that this emotion is the most destructive. It makes us lose control, sin and paves the path to hell. It must delight the devil when we are seething because we are his to direct into doing dreadful things. I think anger also leads to serious illness for you, even death if extreme enough.

I am guilty as anyone. In my life I have been very angry at times and regretted it . As I grow older I realise the dangers and lack of benefits of it. So I lay my anger at Christ's feet. That calms me.

So what do you do when enraged by someone - do you have a way of dealing with it without harming anyone?

Miles
Savant

Re: Anger

Post #2

Post by Miles »

Rose2020 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:16 am Are you an angry person?

The Bible warns that this emotion is the most destructive. It makes us lose control, sin and paves the path to hell. It must delight the devil when we are seething because we are his to direct into doing dreadful things. I think anger also leads to serious illness for you, even death if extreme enough.
As a non-angry person I'm curious as to where in the Bible it says "this emotion [anger] is the most destructive"?

So what do you do when enraged by someone - do you have a way of dealing with it without harming anyone?
I can't remember when I was ever enraged by anyone. Typically, I try to put myself in such a person's place to see where they're coming from. If it's reasonable, I take that into consideration and modify my attitude. If it's unreasonable, I simply dismiss it as unwarranted and move on. To let oneself become enraged is to let the instigator control your life, and I prefer to control my life myself.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #3

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Miles in post #2] is

Matthew 5. Verses 25-26.

Miles
Savant

Post #4

Post by Miles »

Rose2020 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:32 pm [Replying to Miles in post #2] is

Matthew 5. Verses 25-26.
Searched 52 Bibles or so and didn't come up with anything close to your statement. Neither verse 25 or 26 mention anger. Wrong verses perhaps? If not, what Bible version are you using?

Tcg
Savant

Post #5

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to Rose2020 in post #1]

There is nothing wrong with anger itself. Anger is like the temperature gauge in one's car. It alerts one to the fact that there is a problem. It reveals that one has experienced something that seems unjust. One must then determine the problem. Has one experienced injustice, if so, anger is justified. If not, one needs to assess why they are angry improperly. Anger serves an evolutionary advantage or else it'd no longer exist.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by Difflugia »

Miles wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:56 pmNeither verse 25 or 26 mention anger. Wrong verses perhaps? If not, what Bible version are you using?
Probably vv. 21-24.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

Miles
Savant

Post #7

Post by Miles »

Difflugia wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:48 am
Miles wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:56 pmNeither verse 25 or 26 mention anger. Wrong verses perhaps? If not, what Bible version are you using?
Probably vv. 21-24.
Thanks, although I fail to see anything about anger being the most destructive emotion. At most, anger will bring on just another judgment. *sigh*

Diagoras
Guru

Post #8

Post by Diagoras »

Rose2020 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:16 am It must delight the devil when we are seething because we are his to direct into doing dreadful things.
Satan must have it really easy. Any time someone gets either annoyed, or tempted by something, he’s apparently got a good chance of bending them to his will. While it’s not totally clear to me, it seems that he’s similarly ‘omnipresent’ like God is, as at any one time, there are likely to be several angry people, ripe for devilish manipulation.

Makes me wonder about protest marches - thousands of angry people, all potentially susceptible to be turned to the Dark Side. And of course, those charming folks from the Westboro Baptist Church.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #9

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Diagoras in post #8]
Absolutely, things are made very easy indeed for the Devil. It is the wide easy road towards him.

Tcg
Savant

Post #10

Post by Tcg »

Rose2020 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:04 pm [Replying to Diagoras in post #8]
Absolutely, things are made very easy indeed for the Devil. It is the wide easy road towards him.
With almost 2.4 billion adherents, Christianity is the most popular religion in the world. If therefore is the wide easy road. Where it leads is a matter of opinion.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom