Was Abraham a Historical Person?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Diogenes
Guru

Was Abraham a Historical Person?

Post #1

Post by Diogenes »

I always assumed Abraham was a real person, a person from history. I assumed the Biblical account was biased or flawed, but had some truth to it, but...
Most historians view the patriarchal age, along with the Exodus and the period of the biblical judges, as a late literary construct that does not relate to any particular historical era; and after a century of exhaustive archaeological investigation, no evidence has been found for a historical Abraham.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham
... citing McNutt, Paula M. (1999). Reconstructing the Society of Ancient Israel. Westminster John Knox Press. , and
Dever, William G. (2001). What Did the Biblical Writers Know, and when Did They Know It?: What Archaeology Can Tell Us about the Reality of Ancient Israel. Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing.

One of the reasons this argument makes sense is the Torah was composed in the 6th century BCE while there were tensions between Jewish landowners who had remained during the Babylonian captivity and the returning exiles. The ones who stayed behind used 'father Abraham' to bolster their claims; the others appealed to the tradition of Moses and the Exodus. This rings true, that justifying land rights would inspire literature.

Before You Embark On A Journey Of Revenge, Dig Two Graves

— Confucius

Difflugia
Prodigy

Re: Was Abraham a Historical Person?

Post #41

Post by Difflugia »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:45 pmHowever you seem to be operating jnder an assumption that the biblical narrative fails to initially ("at once") present the sons of Israel as one extended family group, albeit comprising of 12 different partiarchal branches.
Nothing about my argument assumes that.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #42

Post by Difflugia »

For anyone else browsing or following along, while reading for this thread I ran across a new and potentially interesting book: The Myth of the Twelve Tribes of Israel by Andrew Tobolowsky. I'm not shelling out $72 for the ebook, but I'm hopeful that it will become available soon in one of the libraries I can access.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #43

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Difflugia wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:47 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:45 pmHowever you seem to be operating jnder an assumption that the biblical narrative fails to initially ("at once") present the sons of Israel as one extended family group, albeit comprising of 12 different partiarchal branches.
Nothing about my argument assumes that.
Well, then you have ill chosen your words ....
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #44

Post by Difflugia »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:49 pm
Difflugia wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:47 pmNothing about my argument assumes that.
Wel, then you have ill chosen your words ....
Perhaps. Do you have a counterclaim or anything else of substance to offer the debate?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #45

Difflugia wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:52 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:49 pm
Difflugia wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:47 pmNothing about my argument assumes that.
Wel, then you have ill chosen your words ....
Perhaps. ....

Not perhaps, most probably ...
Difflugia wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:44 pm Twelve brothers founding twelve different tribes at once rather than forming a single tribe together in the beginning is what's implausible.
  • You say that the bible presents 12 {to quote you} "Twelve brothers founding twelve different tribes at once " this reads as if you conclude that the family at its second generation considered each patriarchal "band" a different "tribe"

... and contrast the above with what would logically be the case, namely {to quote you }
  • forming a single tribe together in the beginning which obviously implies that is NOT what is presented in scripture
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #46

Post by Difflugia »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:58 pm
  • You say that the bible presents 12 {to quote you} "Twelve brothers founding twelve different tribes at once " this reads as if you conclude that the family at its second generation considered each patriarchal "band" a different "tribe"
... and contrast the above with what would logically be the case, namely {quote}
  • forming a single tribe together in the beginning which obviously implies that is NOT what is presented in scripture
That's fine. What's the competitive boundary that led to a presumably later division, coincidentally along patriarchal lines?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #47

Difflugia wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:06 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:58 pm
... and contrast the above with what would logically be the case, namely {quote}
That's fine. What's the competitive boundary that led to a presumably later division, coincidentally along patriarchal lines?
If you wish to discuss that topic, may I suggest you find someine interested in doing so.
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #48

Post by Difflugia »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:19 pm
Difflugia wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:06 pmThat's fine. What's the competitive boundary that led to a presumably later division, coincidentally along patriarchal lines?
If you wish to discuss that topic, may I suggest you find someine interested in doing so.
Since you were trying very hard to find a way to disagree with me (albeit without the tedium of actually presenting evidence), I'd hoped I had. Apparently in vain, though.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #49

Difflugia wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:41 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:19 pm
Difflugia wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:06 pmThat's fine. What's the competitive boundary that led to a presumably later division, coincidentally along patriarchal lines?
Since you were trying very hard to find a way to disagree with me (albeit without the tedium of actually presenting evidence), I'd hoped I had. Apparently in vain, though.
My point is ...
Scripture introduces the Israelites as one unit associated with the family patriarch Jacob (Israel) albeit subdivisable into "households" (See Exodus 1 vs 1-7). The biblical narrative consistently references the "the sons of Israel" , "the Israelites" (Lit. The sons of Israel) , "The people of Israel" ... so intially (as in,quoting you "in the beginning") they were indeed presented as one culturally, linguistically distinct unit.

Outside of Jacobs prophetic utterences at his death, the word tribe(s) of Israel isnt even mentioned until chronologically well over a century after the death of the last of the partiarchal brothers in question.
The above addresses the following objection from post#31 ....

Difflugia wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:44 pm Twelve brothers founding twelve different tribes at once rather than forming a single tribe together in the beginning is what's implausible.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #50

Post by Difflugia »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:49 pm
Scripture introduces the Israelites as one unit associated with the family patriarch Jacob (Israel) albeit subdivisable into "households" (See Exodus 1 vs 1-7). The biblical narrative consistently references the "the sons of Israel" , "the Israelites" (Lit. The sons of Israel) , "The people of Israel" ... so intially (as in,quoting you "in the beginning") they were indeed presented as one culturally, linguistically distinct unit.

Outside of Jacobs prophetic utterences at his death, the word tribe(s) of Israel isnt even mentioned until chronologically well over a century after the death of the last of the partiarchal brothers in question.
The above addresses the following objection from post#31 ....
It doesn't. The source I referred to and linked doesn't rely on the sociological groups being "tribes," much less on any particular definition of "tribe." At some point the sociological groups created along patrilineal divisions became referred to as "tribes," being composed of many "bands" and "households" and whatever. If those tribes actually corresponded to the patrilineal divisions, then there must have been some other competitive boundaries that arose later that were coincident with the patriarchal lines. What were those boundaries? If the coincidence wasn't random chance, what were those boundaries and what did each specific "son of Israel" have to do with it?