Does consciousness exist?

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Does consciousness exist?

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

William
Savant

Re: Does consciousness exist?

Post #61

Post by William »

As I see Consciousness, it cannot be seen other than through creative/destructive expression.
I see Consciousness as mindful.
I think Consciousness is the force impelling shape from substance.
I think we are all connected in invisible ways which have to do with Collective Specie Consciousness - "The Devil We Know" - Familiarities... and acknowledge that the things of imagination [The Mind] are invisible to things thought of as outside of the mind.
Those things thought of as outside of the mind are unknown to us, at fundamental levels because we are suppressed by our nervous systems and these are designed [some say 'mindlessly evolved'] in such a manner as to prevent Human Consciousness from seeing the fundamentals and experiencing the universe as it truly is.

Consciousness is that which is able to acknowledge things.

Things themselves are unable to acknowledge things.

Therefore, while it is not easy to define Consciousness because it cannot be seen as a reflection in a mirror, we can define it to be that which does the defining, the experiencing, the acknowledging of itself and everything else, depending upon the nature of the thing it is experiencing.

Human Consciousness may be no different than any other Consciousness [at a fundamental level] as Consciousness may be limited/retarded by the form it is experiencing things through, which would give the appearance of being 'different' - like how animals appear different, yet are similar too.

That is why I tend to observe the Earth as a Conscious being with an incredible variety of form in which to experience differently through...same Consciousness - different forms...

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #62

Post by JoeyKnothead »

William wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:10 pm
JoeyKnothead wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:16 am
Kylie wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:17 pm I think the first step in discussing whether something exists is to define specifically what we are talking about.

So let's define "consciousness" to begin with, and once we are all sure we are talking about the same thing, we can continue.
Consciousness is that thing that has us making sure we're all talking about the same thing.
Are you sure about that? The evidence suggests we are not conscious that we are all talking about the same thing...
I'm not sure what you're getting at here.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

William
Savant

Post #63

Post by William »

[Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #62]

We may be conscious but we all appear not to be all talking about the same thing, more often than not.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #64

Post by JoeyKnothead »

William wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:38 pm [Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #62]

We may be conscious but we all appear not to be all talking about the same thing, more often than not.
I meant, in the very seeking of a definition for consciousness, there it sits. But I'd agree if someone thought that a bit lacking, definition wise.
-Punkinhead Martin

William
Savant

Post #65

Post by William »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:41 pm
William wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:38 pm [Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #62]

I meant, in the very seeking of a definition for consciousness, there it sits. But I'd agree if someone thought that a bit lacking, definition wise.
Oh yep - I see that now...sorry for the confusion.

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #66

Post by Inquirer »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:10 pm
Inquirer wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:05 am
JoeyKnothead wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:08 pm I reckon I shoulda been more clear... You're using the no true Scotsman fallacy.
I see, and you are doing what Joey? You are using the "No true debater" fallacy, which is to say no true debater would argue that a true Christian does not impose their will.
"I know you are, but what am I"
You made the claim that a person imposing their will can also be a Christian, yet these two are - in my mind - mutually exclusive.
In your mind, there's a magic man up in the sky.
In your mind there's magic without a magician.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #67

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Inquirer wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:32 pm
JoeyKnothead wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:08 pm I reckon I shoulda been more clear... You're using the no true Scotsman fallacy.
I see, and you are doing what Joey? You are using the "No true debater" fallacy, which is to say no true debater would argue that a true Christian does not impose their will.
You made the claim that a person imposing their will can also be a Christian, yet these two are - in my mind - mutually exclusive.
I don't believe in magic.

Projection is a poor method of debate.
-Punkinhead Martin

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #68

Post by Inquirer »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:13 pm
Inquirer wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:32 pm
I don't believe in magic.
I don't believe in a magic man up in the sky.
JoeyKnothead wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:13 pm Projection is a poor method of debate.
Why?

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #69

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Inquirer wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:41 pm I don't believe in a magic man up in the sky
Yet you post as if you do.
JoeyKnothead wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:13 pm Projection is a poor method of debate.
Why?
When you can gather you up the gumption to answer questions I put to you, I'll be happy to answer the ones you put to me.
-Punkinhead Martin

William
Savant

Post #70

Post by William »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:49 pm
Inquirer wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:41 pm I don't believe in a magic man up in the sky
Yet you post as if you do.
Why?
When you can gather you up the gumption to answer questions I put to you, I'll be happy to answer the ones you put to me.
Fair enough. A bit of give and take is helpful...

I think projection is poor because it is that which contributes to strawman fallacies...