Debating issues regarding sexuality

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Homosexuality: nature or nurture?

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Hi all

As of 29 July 2022. What does the science say? What do you think?

Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Wootah
Savant

Re: Homosexuality: nature or nurture?

Post #61

Post by Wootah »

Clownboat wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:30 am
Wootah wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:11 pm [Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #48]

In my experience Christians and religious people have larger families and ignore the world as best they can.
You have to admit, it would be a great strategy to keep a belief going. Have lots of children and raise them up to belong to the geographic religion of the area.
I would suggest threats of eternal torment if they even get look warm about their beliefs and promises of eternal bliss if they keep their beliefs. That will also help when raising said children.
I'm literally admitting it. Christianity is basically good evolution.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Clownboat
Savant

Post #62

Post by Clownboat »

Wootah wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:23 pm
Clownboat wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:30 am
Wootah wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:11 pm [Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #48]

In my experience Christians and religious people have larger families and ignore the world as best they can.
You have to admit, it would be a great strategy to keep a belief going. Have lots of children and raise them up to belong to the geographic religion of the area.
I would suggest threats of eternal torment if they even get look warm about their beliefs and promises of eternal bliss if they keep their beliefs. That will also help when raising said children.
I'm literally admitting it. Christianity is basically good evolution.
It seems that when I say 'tomato', you hear 'bowling shoes'.

Having lots of children and raising them up to belong to the religion of the area is not evolution, good or bad. The actual word you are looking for is indoctrination. Christianity is basically indoctrination (I acknowledge there are exceptions), it has nothing to do with evolution and I don't see much 'good' with threatening our children with eternal torment if they stray from the religion of their geography. This doesn't even touch on the wars and divisions religions have caused over the years. I'm not seeing the 'good' you claimed is there.

The desperation here is palpable.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Wootah
Savant

Post #63

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to Clownboat in post #62]

I wouldn't say anyone is threatened with hell. Hell just awaits.

If you don't study hard or do your best now then later on you might be in a job you don't like because you can't get better - hell awaits.

If you don't tend to your marriage and prioritise it - hell awaits.

I might make this into a poem one day.

Wootah
Savant

Post #64

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to Clownboat in post #62]

On indoctrination. We are all indoctrinated by what we believe. As Oprah says, "You get indoctrinated, you get indoctrinated, you get indoctrinated ... "

Be conscious of this. Choose your illusion.

otseng
Savant

Post #65

Post by otseng »

Clownboat wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:49 am The desperation here is palpable.
Moderator Comment

Please avoid making personal comments.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

brunumb
Savant

Post #66

Post by brunumb »

Wootah wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:25 pm [Replying to Clownboat in post #62]

I wouldn't say anyone is threatened with hell. Hell just awaits.

If you don't study hard or do your best now then later on you might be in a job you don't like because you can't get better - hell awaits.

I might make this into a poem one day.
You appear to be equating a short stint in a not so ideal job or a difficult marriage with an inescapable eternity of punishment in hell. Neither of your chosen outcomes will necessarily eventuate and can hardly be considered as threatening. On the other hand telling someone that they need to believe in a particular God, even if they find it impossible, or they will end up in Hell forever is most certainly threatening. I'm not sure that turning your words into a poem will save them from mediocrity.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #67

Post by Clownboat »

Wootah wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:25 pm I wouldn't say anyone is threatened with hell.
Then you are wrong as we were constantly reminded of hell with threats as to how to get there. Even being 'luke warm' about your god beliefs was used as a threat about going to hell. I acknowledge some churches/schools threaten less then others though.
Hell just awaits.
Sounds like a threat.

See! I'm saying tomato and your saying bowling shoes!

Were you really confused about the hell I was talking about? I don't think you were, yet here you talk about some 'hell' as a statement and not as the place sinners go according to the Bible.

Seems like desperation to me.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Clownboat
Savant

Post #68

Post by Clownboat »

Wootah wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:28 pm On indoctrination. We are all indoctrinated by what we believe.
This is true for religion, like I claimed. It is not true of all knowledge.
I have knowledge/beliefs about keeping fish for example that I have formed from experience. I was not indoctrinated.

in·doc·tri·na·tion
noun
the process of teaching a person or group to accept a set of beliefs uncritically.

This seems like an attempt to level the playing field by trying to make it seems like indoctrination is a normal thing. Mind you, some might see this a desperation.
As Oprah says, "You get indoctrinated, you get indoctrinated, you get indoctrinated ... "
You need to acknowledge when this statement isn't true, like in the example I provided to you. Oprah or no Oprah. Indoctrination is not something we should encourage,
Be conscious of this.
I am conscious and acknowledge that your blanket statement about indoctrination is not accurate.
Choose your illusion.
What illusions do you refer to that I need to chose from?

Diogenes
Guru

Post #69

Post by Diogenes »

Wootah wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:08 pm Hi all

As of 29 July 2022. What does the science say? What do you think?

What difference does it make? Virtually everyone agrees gender attraction is not a choice. Science says the same thing. https://www.apa.org/topics/lgbtq/sexual-orientation

Yet a large swath of Christian fundamentalists act, preach, and lecture as if it is a choice. What kind of a 'god' or religion condemns people for decisions outside their control?

Before You Embark On A Journey Of Revenge, Dig Two Graves

— Confucius

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #70

Post by JoeyKnothead »

brunumb wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:09 am I'm not sure that turning your words into a poem will save them from mediocrity.
=D>

The best phrasing I've heard in a coon's age :thumb:
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin