Debating issues regarding sexuality

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Homosexuality: nature or nurture?

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Hi all

As of 29 July 2022. What does the science say? What do you think?

Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Wootah
Savant

Re: Homosexuality: nature or nurture?

Post #71

Post by Wootah »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:36 pm
brunumb wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:09 am I'm not sure that turning your words into a poem will save them from mediocrity.
=D>

The best phrasing I've heard in a coon's age :thumb:
Well who would do anything with that attitude! I trust you don't say that to others trying to write or create in real life.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Wootah
Savant

Post #72

Post by Wootah »

Diogenes wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:28 pm
Wootah wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:08 pm Hi all

As of 29 July 2022. What does the science say? What do you think?

What difference does it make? Virtually everyone agrees gender attraction is not a choice. Science says the same thing. https://www.apa.org/topics/lgbtq/sexual-orientation

Yet a large swath of Christian fundamentalists act, preach, and lecture as if it is a choice. What kind of a 'god' or religion condemns people for decisions outside their control?
That at least gets to the point of the thread. What does the science say? I am not sure psychologists are unbiased or even scientists. But thank you for the link.

Wootah
Savant

Post #73

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to Clownboat in post #68]

We are talking about our beliefs about the world not about keeping fish.

If I say to a child 'if you don't study you will not pass the test' - is that a threat? That is all I mean when I say hell awaits.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #74

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Wootah wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:42 pm
JoeyKnothead wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:36 pm
brunumb wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:09 am I'm not sure that turning your words into a poem will save them from mediocrity.
=D>

The best phrasing I've heard in a coon's age :thumb:
Well who would do anything with that attitude! I trust you don't say that to others trying to write or create in real life.
Not unless they've offered em up the best phrasing I ain't heard in a coon's age.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Diogenes
Guru

Post #75

Post by Diogenes »

Wootah wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:23 pm
Clownboat wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:30 am
Wootah wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:11 pm [Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #48]

In my experience Christians and religious people have larger families and ignore the world as best they can.
You have to admit, it would be a great strategy to keep a belief going. Have lots of children and raise them up to belong to the geographic religion of the area.
I would suggest threats of eternal torment if they even get look [sic] ['luke?']warm about their beliefs and promises of eternal bliss if they keep their beliefs. That will also help when raising said children.
I'm literally admitting it. Christianity is basically good evolution.
This is a ridiculous claim. One could make this claim about any ideology. Having lots of children and indoctrinating them to believe in it makes an ideology more popular or preserves it may be true even of destructive or evil beliefs, such as Nazism. In other words, a certain type of 'Christianity' could be toxic to society. Spreading it would be anti-evolutionary. Preaching hatred of Jews, homosexuals, blacks, or other ethnic groups is just plain evil, yet this is exactly what the KKK (a group that openly espouses White Christian Nationalism) does.
https://limestonepostmagazine.com/ameri ... m-and-kkk/
'Christianity' and the Bible have been used to spread hatred of certain groups and to promote slavery. https://www.badnewsaboutchristianity.com/gab_racism.htm

OTOH, in a world that is overpopulated, 'homosexuality' may be a natural and beneficial response of a species. The faction of 'Christianity' that brands 'homosexuality' a sin would be anti-evolutionary.

Before You Embark On A Journey Of Revenge, Dig Two Graves

— Confucius

Diogenes
Guru

Post #76

Post by Diogenes »

Wootah wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:57 am [Replying to Miles in post #4]

I think I personally do. I think conscious decisions become habits over a life time of training. A cricket batsman does not consciously choose their shot in the microsecond before the ball gets to them but a lifetime of habit helps select the correct shot. I know what I say to my children guides them in their future choices as well.

I mean I am not attracted to fat girls, or girls with no shape. Why is that?

edit: Nor am I attracted to muscular girls - because I am trained not to be attracted to men.
"Training" has nothing to do with it. You cannot 'train' yourself to be attracted to members of the opposite sex or to the same sex. Our sexual attractions are something that just happens to us. It is not a matter of either choice or training.
Scientific findings do not support the notion that sexual orientation can be taught or learned through social means. And there is little evidence to suggest that non-heterosexual orientations become more common with increased social tolerance.
https://www.psychologicalscience.org/ne ... ation.html
I'm not only attracted to muscular women athletes, I married one... or two.... :)

No training (for me) necessary :)

Before You Embark On A Journey Of Revenge, Dig Two Graves

— Confucius

oldbadger
Guru

Post #77

Post by oldbadger »

Wootah wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:08 pm Hi all
Hi...... Nature.
I would love to post up pictures of Lovelace our Carolina Drake Duck. (I don't know how to on this forum). He has a Carolina Duck mate (Molly) and they keep together most of the time, but Lovelace is quite disinterested in sex, and although Molly might lay down flat before him he just doesn't respond, in fact Molly goes off and gets sorted by an Indian Black Drake called Splash.

Here's the point, in late spring/early summer Lovelace makes a nest by hollowing out the shingle by the pond and he then collects as many golf balls as possible (usually about 8-9) and he then plucks his breast feathers all over these and sits/covers them for about a month, only leaving to to eat and drink and spruce up. That might not be homosexuality but it's certainly trans-sexuality and asexuality.

In case any folks are wondering, some golfers practice-drive gold balls from the clifftop out to sea, and when I go on the foreshore to collect oysters I always pick up golf balls and chuck them along our garden borders....just so you know. :)

Clownboat
Savant

Post #78

Post by Clownboat »

Wootah wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:47 pm We are talking about our beliefs about the world not about keeping fish.
I know. Did you know I was responding to something you said that was false that I addressed with my keeping of fish?
Wootah: Copy/paste: "We are all indoctrinated by what we believe."

Even if you had said that we are all indoctrinated in the world about what we believe, it would still be incorrect. Again, the keeping of fish example was brought on to counter your claim. You trying not to acknowledging this and pretending I was talking about keeping fish was just a dodge.
If I say to a child 'if you don't study you will not pass the test' - is that a threat? That is all I mean when I say hell awaits.
Yes, but not nearly as threatening as telling a child they will spend eternity in hell for whatever reasons.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #79

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Clownboat wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:35 pm
Wootah wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:47 pm We are talking about our beliefs about the world not about keeping fish.
I know. Did you know I was responding to something you said that was false that I addressed with my keeping of fish?

Even if you had said that we are all indoctrinated in the world about what we believe, it would still be incorrect. Again, the keeping of fish example was brought on to counter your claim. You trying not to acknowledging this and pretending I was talking about keeping fish was just a dodge.
Not even a good one either. More like an old K car.
Clownboat wrote:
Yes, but not nearly as threatening as telling a child they will spend eternity in hell for whatever reasons.
I find it absolutely confounding that you even had to utter that statement.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Wootah
Savant

Post #80

Post by Wootah »

Clownboat wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:35 pm

It's just how indoctrinated you are to think that way.

As for children, my child appears to be growing fabulously with the knowledge of Jesus. Growing up an atheist I am quite relieved so far.