God is Flooding Kentucky because the People are Evil?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Diogenes
Guru

God is Flooding Kentucky because the People are Evil?

Post #1

Post by Diogenes »

Assigning moral blame for natural disasters is becoming a sort of time-honored custom in some circles of Christian fundamentalism. That's why when Pat Robertson claimed that the earthquake in Haiti was caused by its people's "pact with the devil," few were surprised. Robertson and other evangelical ministers have pinned a number of tragic, large-scale disasters on the victims.
https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/ ... ms/341489/

Many Christian preachers claimed AIDS was God's punishment of homosexual behavior.
'...televangelist Jerry Falwell said 9/11 occurred because of pagans, abortionists, feminists, "the gays and the lesbians" and the ACLU.'
"Gay people to blame for Hurricane Harvey, say evangelical Christian leaders"
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 33026.html
Many natural disasters occur in the Bible Belt. The latest example is the horrific flooding in rural Eastern Kentucky, the heart of the Bible Belt.
Questions:
Does God hate Christians?
To be consistent and honest, shouldn't these same TV evangelists blame the people of Kentucky and other parts of the Bible Belt for invoking 'God's Wrath?'
Or are these Christian leaders just another example of a faulty 'Christian' belief system, hypocrisy, or worse?

Before You Embark On A Journey Of Revenge, Dig Two Graves

— Confucius

Tcg
Savant

Re: God is Flooding Kentucky because the People are Evil?

Post #11

Post by Tcg »

bjs1 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:41 pm [Replying to Diogenes in post #1]
Farwell and Robertson are outliers the Christian faith. Yes, they have a devout and sizable following, but their movements makes up a miniscule percentage of the total number of Christians in the world. I’m sure they can justify their take on the recent flooding within their belief system, but it is a belief system that is rejected by most Christians.
In a certain sense every Christian could be considered an outlier in the Christian faith. It'd be hard to find even a handful who believe the same thing. More importantly, your reply doesn't address the O.P. in any way. Here are the questions for debate:
Does God hate Christians?
To be consistent and honest, shouldn't these same TV evangelists blame the people of Kentucky and other parts of the Bible Belt for invoking 'God's Wrath?'
Or are these Christian leaders just another example of a faulty 'Christian' belief system, hypocrisy, or worse?
Your reply leaves all three unanswered.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Diagoras
Guru

Post #12

Post by Diagoras »

[Replying to Diogenes in post #1]
Many natural disasters occur in the Bible Belt.
Trying to be scrupulously fair, this could be challenged as ‘poisoning the well’ a bit, since you are ascribing a natural cause to disasters which could (in some people’s eyes) be due to some god or supernatural entity.

Deciding afterwards on the reasons why such and such a flood happened or not, and why this or that person drowned - or ‘miraculously’ avoided drowning - is always going to be on a logically unsound basis, as it’s a classic case of a post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #13

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Lets just leave this here.

It's kinda funny how natural disasters that hurt the "others" are God's will, but when they hurt the religious proponent, it's Satan a-doing it.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Diogenes
Guru

Post #14

Post by Diogenes »

Diagoras wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:29 am [Replying to Diogenes in post #1]
Many natural disasters occur in the Bible Belt.
Trying to be scrupulously fair, this could be challenged as ‘poisoning the well’ a bit, since you are ascribing a natural cause to disasters which could (in some people’s eyes) be due to some god or supernatural entity.

Deciding afterwards on the reasons why such and such a flood happened or not, and why this or that person drowned - or ‘miraculously’ avoided drowning - is always going to be on a logically unsound basis, as it’s a classic case of a post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy.
Thank you for the clarification. It took me a moment, but I realize that if the sentence you quote is looked at without reference to the rest of the OP, some could conclude the OP was claiming "There are more natural disasters in the 'Bible Belt' than in other regions. This was not the intent of the OP.

I am aware of no data that suggests anything of the sort. I did not intend the implication your inference suggests. The OP is focused on the claim of a subset of evangelicals who infamously claim natural disasters are caused by God's wrath against people who disobey 'his' commandments.

However, your question raises an interesting hypothesis I hadn't thought of. If God does indeed punish those who violate 'his' laws, should we not expect fewer natural disasters in regions where more people follow 'his' will?
:)

Before You Embark On A Journey Of Revenge, Dig Two Graves

— Confucius

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Post #15

Post by The Nice Centurion »

Diogenes wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:54 am However, your question raises an interesting hypothesis I hadn't thought of. If God does indeed punish those who violate 'his' laws, should we not expect fewer natural disasters in regions where more people follow 'his' will?
:)
This is true, and Bible Belt evangelicals will have to explain themselves!

I mean, when was the last time a natural disaster struck Utah or the Vatican or at the very least the Statue of Baphomet at Salem Massachusetts ?
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry again🐟

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

"Joseph Smith can't possibly have been a deceiver.
For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"