Best self help book

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

Rose2020
Scholar

Best self help book

Post #1

Post by Rose2020 »

I must say I smile at the array of self help books in bookshops and on Kindle these days.
Yet the best one of all can be the last one people think of. The Bible.

Miles
Savant

Re: Best self help book

Post #2

Post by Miles »

My suggestion for the Best Self Help Book

.................. Image

"Book Overview

A preeminent scientist -- and the world's most prominent atheist -- asserts the irrationality of belief in God and the grievous harm religion has inflicted on society, from the Crusades to 9/11. With rigor and wit, Dawkins examines God in all his forms, from the sex-obsessed tyrant of the Old Testament to the more benign (but still illogical) Celestial Watchmaker favored by some Enlightenment thinkers. He eviscerates the major arguments for religion and demonstrates the supreme improbability of a supreme being. He shows how religion fuels war, foments bigotry, and abuses children, buttressing his points with historical and contemporary evidence. The God Delusion makes a compelling case that belief in God is not just wrong but potentially deadly. It also offers exhilarating insight into the advantages of atheism to the individual and society, not the least of which is a clearer, truer appreciation of the universe's wonders than any faith could ever muster."
source

Now wouldn't you like an exhilarating insight into the advantages of atheism to the individual and society, not the least of which is a clearer, truer appreciation of the universe's wonders than any faith could ever muster?

If you're a theist of course you wouldn't because it would mean giving up your security blanket.

Image And NO truth is worth that.

Tcg
Savant

Post #3

Post by Tcg »

Rose2020 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:06 pm I must say I smile at the array of self help books in bookshops and on Kindle these days.
Yet the best one of all can be the last one people think of. The Bible.
Gee, I wonder why?
Matthew 5:29 If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body be thrown into hell. 30 And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body go into hell.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

otseng
Savant

Post #4

Post by otseng »

We did an in-depth book debate on TGD at viewforum.php?f=41

Here was my conclusion of the book:
otseng wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:02 pm "If this book works as I intend, religious readers who open it will be atheists when they put it down." (page 5)

And for me, it was the opposite effect. If this book was one of the best books atheists has to offer, then it shows how weak the atheist arguments are.

As one reviewer said on the back dust jacket, "If this book doesn't change the world, we're all screwed." Well, sorry to say, it's not going to change the world.

Miles
Savant

Post #5

Post by Miles »

otseng wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:36 pm We did an in-depth book debate on TGD at viewforum.php?f=41

Here was my conclusion of the book:
otseng wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:02 pm And for me, it was the opposite effect. If this book was one of the best books atheists has to offer, then it shows how weak the atheist arguments are.
Or perhaps how resistant to secular reasoning you are?

otseng
Savant

Post #6

Post by otseng »

Miles wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:54 pm Or perhaps how resistant to secular reasoning you are?
Is there any other better book that atheists have to offer besides TGD? If so, we can have another book debate on it.

Diagoras
Guru

Post #7

Post by Diagoras »

What exactly defines ‘better’ here?

I could equally say, “there’s no better book than the Bible for deconverting Christians.”

If the book debate has already happened though, there’s probably no need to rehash it.

otseng
Savant

Post #8

Post by otseng »

Diagoras wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:55 pm What exactly defines ‘better’ here?

If the book debate has already happened though, there’s probably no need to rehash it.
Yes, we did a a long book debate already on TGD, so not going to go through that again. What I'm offering is to do another book debate on atheism (that is hopefully better than TGD).

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #9

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Diagoras in post #7]

It is about opposite messages. The typical self help book encourages focus upon yourself, the Bible teaches to focus on God.
The things of this world are mirages and shadows, that always perish. The promise of Jesus Christ is that of eternal peace and happiness. People often don't give eternity a thought as they are so busy with worldly matters. That way happiness cannot be found.

Diagoras
Guru

Post #10

Post by Diagoras »

I dunno about that. I’m definitely happy.

Deut.28 seemingly doesn’t apply to me.