Does Bible say every christian should be in a church?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Does Bible say every christian should be in a church?

Post #1

Post by The Nice Centurion »

I asked christian apologetic We_Are_VENOM about his church, and he answered that he isnt member of a church, and the bible does not say one should be.
We_Are_VENOM wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:42 pm
The Nice Centurion wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:44 pm Could you please tell us to what church you go?
I do not attend or belong to any church.

However, Christian apologetics needs to be taught in churches, imo.
The Nice Centurion wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:46 pm Why is that so?
Stay out of my business.
Sorry no, I mean doesnt the bible imply if not outright say that any christian should join a church?
[/quote]
The Nice Centurion wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:17 am Sorry no, I mean doesnt the bible imply if not outright say that any christian should join a church?
No, it does not say that.
But we have Heb 10 19 - 25 Especially Heb 10 25
Hebrews 10:19-25
King James Version
19 Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus,

20 By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh;

21 And having an high priest over the house of God;

22 Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.

23 Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;)

24 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works:

25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
Question for debate: Does this say that every christian should be in a church?
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry again🐟

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

"Joseph Smith can't possibly have been a deceiver.
For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Re: Does Bible say every christian should be in a church?

Post #21

1213 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:29 am
The Nice Centurion wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:11 am ...
For you as a christian to ask such a question sounds curious!
So, you don't know what it means? That would explain why you have this problem.
I have no problem.

Which church do you go, if I may ask?
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry again🐟

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"

Tcg
Savant

Post #22

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to The Nice Centurion in post #1]

Folks can pretty much twist this answer into whatever they want the outcome to be. This is not much different from any question that can be asked about the bible.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

We_Are_VENOM
Banned
Banned

Post #23

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

Tcg wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:20 pm [Replying to The Nice Centurion in post #1]

Folks can pretty much twist this answer into whatever they want the outcome to be. This is not much different from any question that can be asked about the bible.

Tcg
Are unbelievers still pondering and giving commentary on stuff that they do not believe in??

Just cant help themselves, can they?
Venni Vetti Vecci!!

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Post #24

We_Are_VENOM wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:06 pm

Tcg
Are unbelievers still pondering and giving commentary on stuff that they do not believe in??

Why is that your concern ?

Tcg
Savant

Post #25

Post by Tcg »

We_Are_VENOM wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:06 pm

Tcg

Trust me. We believe that churches exist, and that the Bible exists. We also know the influence both have in our society and how dangerous that influence can be. I've never heard of Unicorn Nationalism. Given that I don't care much if anyone believes in unicorns or not. Christian Nationalism is a totally different matter, it is a real thing, and I am concerned. This is simply one reason to be concerned and to remain involved in these discussions.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Savant

Post #26

Post by 1213 »

The Nice Centurion wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:54 am
1213 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:29 am
The Nice Centurion wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:11 am ...
For you as a christian to ask such a question sounds curious!
So, you don't know what it means? That would explain why you have this problem.
I have no problem.

Which church do you go, if I may ask?
I have understood church means the congregation/group of disciples of Jesus. At the moment I don't really know anyone else that identifies as a disciple of Jesus.

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Post #27

[Replying to 1213 in post #26]
I found a thread, raising questions that could be important for this debate:
Are christians who claim to not follow a church hypocrit?(sic)
Are Christians who claim to follow the Bible and not the church fooling themselves, considering the fact that it was the church who compiled the Bible in the first place?
Granted, one could reason that it isn't the "same church", but it is a church nonetheless. Are the anti-Church Christians merely anti-modern Church?
viewtopic.php?t=29207
In fact, the final canon of Scripture, thereafter recognised by all Christians for over 1,000 years, was settled on 28 August 397 AD by the Council of Carthage after the example set by St Cyril of Jerusalem in 350.

This Council met under the supervision of the Bishop of Carthage, North Africa, and the Western Roman Emperor, Flavius Honorius, the decrees being later approved by the Bishop of Rome, the Pope, who later also approved the definitive translation of St Jerome called the Vulgate.
http://romanchristendom.blogspot.com/20 ... m.html?m=1
It was actually not until 367 AD that the church father Athanasius first provided the complete listing of the 66 books belonging to the canon.

He distinguished those from other books that were widely circulated and he noted that those 66 books were the ones, and the only ones, universally accepted.

The point is that the formation of the canon did not come all at once like a thunderbolt, but was the product of centuries of reflection.
https://www.biblica.com/resources/bible ... le-chosen/

Savant

Post #28

Post by 1213 »

The Nice Centurion wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:41 am [Replying to 1213 in post #26]
I found a thread, raising questions that could be important for this debate:
Are christians who claim to not follow a church hypocrit?(sic)
My answer is no. Christian means according to the Bible a disciple of Jesus. Disciple of Jesus follows Jesus, not "church", especially when the "church" seems to despise Jesus and his word.

It was in Antioch that the disciples were first called Christians.
Acts 11:26

Jesus therefore said to those Jews who had believed him, "If you remain in my word, then you are truly my disciples. You will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."
John 8:31-32

If it was the "church" that compiled the Bible, why do they reject its teachings in many ways?