Are the Laws of Moses amazing legislation for that time?

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

oldbadger
Guru

Are the Laws of Moses amazing legislation for that time?

Post #1

Post by oldbadger »

I propose that the laws of Moses (or the Old Testament if you prefer), all 613 of them were the most amazing piece of legislation for the purpose of producing a safe, secure, healthy, fast growing, cohesive and successful people...... back in those days.

I would like to show a law each day that might help to support my claim, and if any members might like to post up laws for discussion as well then that would be great. Many of those laws still exist in the local and national laws where I live.

My offer for today is clear guidance to 'keep these laws and prosper or ignore them and fail those who were there before.'

LEVITCUS {20:22} Ye shall therefore keep all my statutes, and all my judgments, and do them: that the land, whither I bring you to dwell therein, spue you not out. {20:23} And ye shall not walk in the manners of the nation, which I cast out before you: for they committed all these things, and therefore I abhorred them. {20:24} But I have said unto you, Ye shall inherit their land, and I will give it unto you to possess it, a land that floweth with milk and honey: I [am] the LORD your God, which have separated you from [other] people.
Last edited by oldbadger on Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

oldbadger
Guru

Re: Are the Laws of Moses amazing legislation for that time?

Post #31

Post by oldbadger »

Wootah wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:28 pm One per day you promised. Looking forward to more. :thanks:
True.......
......sorry, I sneaked off to other discussions.
I'll start back here again tomorrow.

oldbadger
Guru

Re: Are the Laws of Moses amazing legislation for that time?

Post #32

Post by oldbadger »

Ah....... I've been slacking on this thread.........

Laws about clothing and appearance.
I have selected just a few, here...........
Numbers 15:38
Deuteronomy 6:8
Deuteronomy 22:5
Deuteronomy 22:11
.............. and there are several more.

In the past people have asked me why I think that the laws and rules about clothing and appearance were such amazing legislation.
I've always thought of safety and security as a seriously important reason for such rules, it being very very hard for outsiders to intrude in to Israelite communities by stealth, and also as a clear sign of membership, status, authority, duties, etc.

All those strange rules about what to wear and how to be seen....... And then, yesterday, I saw such an amazing, varied and wide display of differing appearances, amongst people come to mourn our Queen's death as would place any such rules from the Laws of Moses in to clear common sense.

World leaders from so many countries, many who wore their national costumes for the occasion. One of many striking examples of 'dress to identify' was seen when about a hundred pipers from the Irish and Scottish regiments all sounding bagpipes as they slow marched through the streets, one of the most magnificent sights I have ever seen, and nearly all of them wore uniforms that differed from each other. Identification through dress codes.

It seems quite obvious to me that the Laws of Moses were written by some extremely clever men, no assistance from their God being necessary, to produce a strong, coalesced, healthy, secure, safe and successful people... which they were, as long as they kept to those laws exactly. If any here want to point out those occasions when the Israelites failed in this, I can only point out that they were busting their laws...then.