The Prophets

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

Rose2020
Scholar

The Prophets

Post #1

Post by Rose2020 »

I realise that I have quite overlooked the prophets, especially in the Old Testament. So I am studying them in more detail. I have one book by Arthur C Cundall and J Stafford Wright. It is proving useful.

Could anyone recommend further good books? I want to know more about what is known of their lives and the meanings of their prophecies.

Tcg
Savant

Re: The Prophets

Post #2

Post by Tcg »

Rose2020 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:03 pm I realise that I have quite overlooked the prophets, especially in the Old Testament. So I am studying them in more detail. I have one book by Arthur C Cundall and J Stafford Wright. It is proving useful.

Could anyone recommend further good books? I want to know more about what is known of their lives and the meanings of their prophecies.
Moderator Action

Moved to an appropriate subforum.

Moderator actions indicate that a thread/post has been locked, moved, merged, or split.

Miles
Savant

Post #3

Post by Miles »

I've always thought Jesus' prophecies in Matthew were pretty interesting, particularly 24:34.

Matthew 24:3-34 (ESV)
3 As [Jesus] sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately, saying, “Tell us, when will these things be, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?” 4 And Jesus answered them, “See that no one leads you astray. 5 For many will come in my name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and they will lead many astray. 6 And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not alarmed, for this must take place, but the end is not yet. 7 For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom, and there will be famines and earthquakes in various places. 8 All these are but the beginning of the birth pains.

9 “Then they will deliver you up to tribulation and put you to death, and you will be hated by all nations for my name's sake. 10 And then many will fall away[a] and betray one another and hate one another. 11 And many false prophets will arise and lead many astray. 12 And because lawlessness will be increased, the love of many will grow cold. 13 But the one who endures to the end will be saved. 14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be proclaimed throughout the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.

15 “So when you see the abomination of desolation spoken of by the prophet Daniel, standing in the holy place (let the reader understand), 16 then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains. 17 Let the one who is on the housetop not go down to take what is in his house, 18 and let the one who is in the field not turn back to take his cloak. 19 And alas for women who are pregnant and for those who are nursing infants in those days! 20 Pray that your flight may not be in winter or on a Sabbath.

21 For then there will be great tribulation, such as has not been from the beginning of the world until now, no, and never will be. 22 And if those days had not been cut short, no human being would be saved. But for the sake of the elect those days will be cut short. 23 Then if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Christ!’ or ‘There he is!’ do not believe it. 24 For false christs and false prophets will arise and perform great signs and wonders, so as to lead astray, if possible, even the elect. 25 See, I have told you beforehand. 26 So, if they say to you, ‘Look, he is in the wilderness,’ do not go out. If they say, ‘Look, he is in the inner rooms,’ do not believe it. 27 For as the lightning comes from the east and shines as far as the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. 28 Wherever the corpse is, there the vultures will gather.

29 “Immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken. 30 Then will appear in heaven the sign of the Son of Man, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. 31 And he will send out his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

32 “From the fig tree learn its lesson: as soon as its branch becomes tender and puts out its leaves, you know that summer is near. 33 So also, when you see all these things, you know that he is near, at the very gates. 34 Truly, I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place.

Lest anyone think "this generation" refers to some future generation, the Good News Translation, the New International Reader's Version, the Weymouth New Testament, the New Century Version. and the Message all took the time to spell out just what generation Jesus was talking about.

Matthew 24:34 (GNT)
Remember that all these things will happen before the people now living have all died.

Matthew 24:34 (NIRV)
What I’m about to tell you is true. The people living now will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened.

Matthew 24:34 (WNT)
I tell you in solemn truth that the present generation will certainly not pass away without all these things having first taken place.

Matthew 24:34 (NCV)
34 I tell you the truth, all these things will happen while the people of this time are still living.

Matthew 24:33-35 (MSG)
32-35 “Take a lesson from the fig tree. From the moment you notice its buds form, the merest hint of green, you know summer’s just around the corner. So it is with you: When you see all these things, you’ll know he’s at the door. Don’t take this lightly. I’m not just saying this for some future generation, but for all of you. This age continues until all these things take place. Sky and earth will wear out; my words won’t wear out.

So, because none of these things happened it's quite evident Jesus blew this prophecy of his. And quite a big one at that.

Diagoras
Guru

Post #4

Post by Diagoras »

[Replying to Rose2020 in post #1]

Hi, Rose2020, I’m not sure whether you want this level of detail, but I found that this group gave a number of references at the end of an article dealing with Obadiah:

https://www.sots.ac.uk/wiki/obadiah/

Not sure whether the site has similar references for the other prophets - I didn’t conduct a long search - but if any of this is useful, then you’ll no doubt be quicker than me when looking for what you’re interested in.

Diagoras
Guru

Post #5

Post by Diagoras »

Another resource, although dealing with the prophets as a class, rather than their ‘teachings’:

https://www.britannica.com/topic/prophe ... w-prophecy

It gives a good overview of how they likely became influential enough to warrant inclusion in the Hebrew bible.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by Difflugia »

Rose2020 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:03 pmCould anyone recommend further good books? I want to know more about what is known of their lives and the meanings of their prophecies.
How do you feel about PDF scans of hundred-year-old books? Anything from 1926 or older is in the US public domain and there's a lot of interesting biblical commentary from the nineteenth and early twentieth century. In particular, there's a series of academic commentaries that I've mentioned before called the International Critical Commentary series. Not all books of the Bible have a volume in the public domain, but many do. Even if you find the textual commentary dry or boring, each volume has an introduction discussing the particular book's history and theology. Each volume is written by a different author and some are better than others, but they're quite good overall.

I gave links to the volumes in the public domain in this post some time ago. There's a downloadable scan for each prophet except Jeremiah and Ezekiel.

If you're willing to read digital scans of public domain books, there are more books available from Internet Archive and Google Books on most subjects than anyone could reasonably read. If the academic books are too stuffy, there are just as many books written from a devotional perspective. Google Books has more books available and its search engine is better, but the Internet Archive scans are usually higher quality. Here are a few more that might be what you're looking for.

I hope there's something there that you find interesting, but let me know if I've missed the mark and I'd bet we can find what you're looking for.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.