How can an omnipotent being regret anything?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

William
Savant

How can an omnipotent being regret anything?

Post #1

Post by William »

Q: Is it unreasonable to accept that an omnipotent creator of this universe would have any regrets about Its creation?

If we look at how the critters in creation fix things, we can see therein that if there is a creator mind behind this, then there is simply no need for said mind to feel regret for anything said mind created. Said mind has built into the ongoing creative process, a means in which problems which arise, are fixed - rather than regretted upon first, in order to then get about doing the fixing...

Perhaps the idea that the creator should regret what was created, is a projection of human emotionally based concepts?
[[The idea in assigning/projecting said emotion onto a creator ... the projection is in thinking how a human would feel if it were a human who created the universe, [and specifically the Earth and specifically Humankind] and applying that feeling to how a creator could also have regrets for what It created.]]

Miles
Savant

Re: How can an omnipotent being regret anything?

Post #2

Post by Miles »

William wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:05 pm Q: Is it unreasonable to accept that an omnipotent creator of this universe would have any regrets about Its creation?
Only if one believes God is truly omnipotent and omniscient.

If we look at how the critters in creation fix things, we can see therein that if there is a creator mind behind this, then there is simply no need for said mind to feel regret for anything said mind created. Said mind has built into the ongoing creative process, a means in which problems which arise, are fixed - rather than regretted upon first, in order to then get about doing the fixing...
Yet God has regretted having done things.

Genesis 6:6 ESV
And the Lord regretted that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him to his heart.

1 Samuel 15:35 EB
Samuel never saw Saul again before he died, but he grieved over Saul. However, the Lord regretted making Saul king over Israel.

Jeremiah 42:10 NCB
‘If you resolve to remain in this land, I will build you up and not tear you down; I will plant you and not uproot you. For I deeply regret the disaster that I have inflicted upon you.

As well as having, "repented," "felt sorry for, and "became remorseful," for doing other things in the Bible.

Jeremiah 42:10 GNV
If ye will dwell in this land, then I will build you, and not destroy you, and I will plant you, and not root you out: for I repent me of the evil that I have done unto you.

Amos 7:6 ICB
So the Lord felt sorry about this. “This will not happen either,” said the Lord God.

Jeremiah 15:6 LEB
You have forsaken me,” declares Yahweh. “You go backward, so I have stretched my hand against you, and I have destroyed you. I am tired of becoming remorseful.

And this last remark, "I am tired of becoming remorseful." probably best sums up God's ineptitude. It's no doubt on-going, only that today he's not admitting any of it.

Perhaps the idea that the creator should regret what was created, is a projection of human emotionally based concepts?
I wouldn't think so when it and its cohorts, "repented," "felt sorry for, and "became remorseful," "was very sad" are also mentioned.

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Post #3

Post by The Nice Centurion »

Miles wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:22 pm
William wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:05 pm Q: Is it unreasonable to accept that an omnipotent creator of this universe would have any regrets about Its creation?
Can you or someone please quote the verses here that show bible gods omnipotence and omniscience?
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry again.”

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon!"

"Joseph Smith can't possibly have been a deceiver.
For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"

Savant

Post #4

Post by 1213 »

For example World English Bible uses word "sorry" instead of "regret". I think it is better in this case. I believe God was sad, but I don't think He regretted, because He knows all the good things that were His reason for to create things.

Yahweh was sorry that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him in his heart.
Gen. 6:6

Miles
Savant

Post #5

Post by Miles »

The Nice Centurion wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:25 am
Miles wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:22 pm
Can you or someone please quote the verses here that show bible gods omnipotence and omniscience?
Good question. While I didn't find any verse that says "God is omnipotent," I did find a source that lists several verses that are said to point to it. (Personally, I think a lot of it is wishful thinking.)

Revelation 19:6
Then I heard something like the voice of a great multitude and like the sound of many waters and like the sound of mighty peals of thunder, saying,“Hallelujah! For the Lord our God, the Almighty, reigns.

Ephesians 1:19
and what is the surpassing greatness of His power toward us who believe. These are in accordance with the working of the strength of His might

Daniel 4:35
“All the inhabitants of the earth are accounted as nothing,
But He does according to His will in the host of heaven
And among the inhabitants of earth;
And no one can ward off His hand
Or say to Him, ‘What have You done?’

Isaiah 43:13
“Even from eternity I am He,
And there is none who can deliver out of My hand;
I act and who can reverse it?”

Isaiah 14:27
For the Lord of hosts has planned, and who can frustrate it? And as for His stretched-out hand, who can turn it back?”

Matthew 19:26
And looking at them Jesus said to them, “With people this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

Genesis 18:14
Is anything too difficult for the Lord? At the appointed time I will return to you, at this time next year, and Sarah will have a son.”

Job 42:1-2
Then Job answered the Lord and said, “I know that You can do all things,
And that no purpose of Yours can be thwarted.

Isaiah 26:4-5
“Trust in the Lord forever,
For in God the Lord, we have an everlasting Rock.
“For He has brought low those who dwell on high, the unassailable city;
He lays it low, He lays it low to the ground, He casts it to the dust.

Luke 1:37
For nothing will be impossible with God.”

Acts 26:8
Why is it considered incredible among you people if God does raise the dead?

Jeremiah 32:27
“Behold, I am the Lord, the God of all flesh; is anything too difficult for Me?”

Deuteronomy 33:27
“The eternal God is a dwelling place,
And underneath are the everlasting arms;
And He drove out the enemy from before you,
And said, ‘Destroy!’
source

As for omniscience, the source lists three verses, the last being particularly relevant.

Rom 11:33
Oh, how inexhaustible are God's resources and God's wisdom and God's knowledge! How impossible it is to search into His decrees or trace His footsteps!

1 Cor 13:12
For now we see things in a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now my knowledge is in part; then it will be complete, even as God's knowledge of me.
1 John 3:20
for if our conscience condemn us, God knows us better than we do our selves, he knoweth all things.

William
Savant

Post #6

Post by William »

William: Perhaps the idea that the creator should regret what was created, is a projection of human emotionally based concepts?

[Replying to Miles in post #2]
I wouldn't think so when it and its cohorts, "repented," "felt sorry for, and "became remorseful," "was very sad" are also mentioned.
I wrote;
William: [[The idea in assigning/projecting said emotion onto a creator ... the projection is in thinking how a human would feel if it were a human who created the universe, [and specifically the Earth and specifically Humankind] and applying that feeling to how a creator could also have regrets for what It created.]]

Repenting, sadness, regret et al are demonstrably Human actions oft spurred on through emotions.

We could add to the question, another;

Q: Would an omnipotent being have emotions?

William
Savant

Post #7

Post by William »

[Replying to 1213 in post #4]

Are you arguing that being sorry is different from being regretful?

Q: Would an omnipotent being have emotions?

Miles
Savant

Post #8

Post by Miles »

William wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:47 pm William: Perhaps the idea that the creator should regret what was created, is a projection of human emotionally based concepts?

[Replying to Miles in post #2]
I wrote;
William: [[The idea in assigning/projecting said emotion onto a creator ... the projection is in thinking how a human would feel if it were a human who created the universe, [and specifically the Earth and specifically Humankind] and applying that feeling to how a creator could also have regrets for what It created.]]

Repenting, sadness, regret et al are demonstrably Human actions oft spurred on through emotions.
Are you implying God and humans can't share the same emotions? That 2 Timothy 3:16 is wrong? That . . .

2 Timothy 3:16
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

is untrue? That besides not repenting, being sad, regretting, etc, God really didn't love, laugh, pity, or was angry, merciful, rejoyceful or hated, as described in other passages, as well?

William
Savant

Post #9

Post by William »

The OPQ's are;

Q: How can an omnipotent being regret anything?
Q: Is it unreasonable to accept that an omnipotent creator of this universe would have any regrets about Its creation?

It isn't asking whether the biblical idea of God is/isn't omnipotent or has/does not have human-like attributes.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by Purple Knight »

Nobody said that the God of the Bible wasn't moody as all Heck. Look at it this way.

1. I'm omnipotent and omniscient.

2. I know every result of everything I might do and I can do anything.

3. Sometimes, if I'm prone to extreme moodiness, maybe I'm a cat or something, one of these things I do has the result that it puts me in a sour mood and makes me regret all I have done.

4. So, looking forward, I know that at this future time, I'll be sad.

5. But maybe I do it anyway because at a time after that, I am unsad again.